“Great Place to Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durban
Happy Hippo Accommodation
Ranked #11 of 84 Speciality Lodging in Durban
Reviewed 30 October 2016

The first time I stayed at happy hippo was with my fiancee,overnight. Since then I have been hooked. Every time I go to Durban, Happy hippo is always a great place to stay. They have great hospitality, the place has beautiful decor which resembles the Durban culture and for the rates, its a neat and comfortable place to stay. It's safe, a walk away from uShaka Marine world and the beach. We always stay there is the boys because we usually prefer to be in one room for our vacations, and with a group of 4 guys, happy hippo has that capability. Also, they have a bar upstairs. The last time I stayed there, i was flying out of King Shaka Airport to Chicago; the receptionists were kind enough to organize a shuttle to pick me up at the accommodation.

Room Tip: East side rooms have a better view of the habor
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
DurbanBrooksie, Owner at Happy Hippo Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2016

Dear mphor396
We are the lucky ones for sure! The fact that you keep on coming back, means a whole lot to us! Thank you for taking note of our establishment and all that she has to offer; it really does mean a lot to us that it gets noticed! (blush, blush!)
We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.
Kind regards

Reviewed 22 October 2016

My 2 months stay at Happy Hippo...Generally, i recommend and support the theme of this place, this is a place to be when you are in Durban. The stuff on the Reception, ladies with warm welcoming hands like Dumi,Smah,Zoe and Sli and the cleaning stuff that makes sure we are in a healthy place everyday,ladies like Zanele, TK, Faith and everyone else on the floor. Melusi and Marleyna on the Bar,a roof top bar with evergreen plants and tables with chairs.. keeping us entertained at all times with Good Music and cold drinks... Free COFFEE and TEA at the Kitchen, its a place close to all what you need NB: UShaka Marine World and the Beach is 2 to 3 minute walk, its safe with a security guide at night, its colorful ,well taken care off building, i basically fell in love with everything on my stay there.. i will surely come back and visit, it feels like i have found a second family and home at HIPPO. Love ,Peace and Respect HIPPO.

Room Tip: best view rooms are facing the Durban Port and the roof top is Amazing for the BREEZE. its Quiet on...
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo

Dear Manqoba C
Thank you so much for taking the time out to give us such a wonderful review. The fact that you have stayed with us for so long is an accolade in itself! You have become part of the Happy Hippo family and we want to say thanks fo all your support! You are great to have around as you encourage our ideas of showcasing local talent through music or art.
You have a wonderful outlook on life and its been special to be a part of that.
We wish you all the success in life that you so deserve!
with lots of love
Michelle, Micky and the Happy Hippo crew

Reviewed 20 October 2016

The Happy Hippo is situated just outside of city's hustle and bustle and yet close enough to everything. Ushaka Marine World is 2min walk away.
Rooms very tidy and kept clean. Bathroom and toilets kept clean even if there are so many backpackers.
Very spacious living area and communal kitchen.
Staff at reception very helpfull.

Room Tip: All rooms on the first floor and you must be able to climb stairs.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo

Dear heinrichdeWet
What a wonderful review! We are truly grateful for your kind and informative words.
We can only wish to host you again sometime in the near future.
Have a wonderful HAPPY day,
Michelle and the Hippo crew

Reviewed 12 October 2016 via mobile

We took a private room with shower. First, keep in mind the rooms are on the s cons floor and there is not elevator so if that's a problem- this isn't the place. The rooms are located around a large common area which is cool but does not offer much in terms of rest as you can hear everything. The staff were nice but it felt like the place is a bit behind:

1) wifi is limited for 3 hours per day and can only be used on one device. After two hours, if you want another hour you need to go down to reception and get topped up. The whole thing is quite inconvenient. I wanted to download a new book to my kindle and couldn't ...

2) Our room had one electric outlet to which the night light is connected. I really don't see why the hostel doesn't just invest in putting a splitter there. This was HIGHLY frustrating as nowadays everything needs charging and we had to take silly turns charging our stuff.

I personally would not stay here again.

Stayed: October 2016

Dear Einav D
We are terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We would highly recommend that you do not frequent 3* accommodations again; but rather stay in a 4*/5* B&B's or Hotels (we are an award winning 3* Backpackers who have won the Provincial #Lilizela award 2016 as well as Holiday Check 2016)
Wishing you wonderful holidays to come.
kind regards

Reviewed 25 August 2016

Generally I really like this place and would stay again. I would have liked it more if there was coffee every morning like they said there would be, but most morning it was out. As well as having a small miscommunication with staff about check out time. Overall though the room and common space was well taken care of and the upstairs bar was fun. Though it was sometimes very loud at night.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo

Dear seaotterboy
We are glad to hear it! Thank you for all your valid points, they have been attended to. We are all about our customers and we only want to please you.
Have a beautiful day!

Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

This was my second visit to Happy Hippo in Durban, as I had come to the town with some friends for an event. We stayed for 3 days. 3 male and 2 female. We stayed in a 6 bed dorm.

I had such fond memories of the place from my previous visit, and simply had to come again. Glad to see that the ever happy, ever smiling staff are still there, and they even remembered my name!! Great to feel welcomed, and to know that theres a place in South Africa you can call home!

Got to meet the amazing Michelle again, and greeted me (and my friend Jon) with as much enthusiasm as the first time we met. Michelle and Michael are one of the pioneers of backpacker hostels in SA today as we know it, and you can see why. Its hard to improve on perfect, but this couple somehow finds ways and means to make this place better.

I am running out of things to complain about, as the two faults i pointed out on my previous visit were already addressed (2 days after i left apparently!!).

Thank you for your hospitality Happy Hippo, and a big hug to all the staff! Keep up the awesome work !

( May i suggest a free welcome drink for frequent fliers ;) ) my only complaint this time.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends

Dear Stig A
We love having you! You are always welcome as this is your home away from home! Thank you for always introducing new people to our HAPPY place! That welcome drink is waiting for you! Hopefully, we get to see you again soon!
Lots of love
Michelle & Micky

Reviewed 1 August 2016

The Happy Hippo is easily the greatest hostel I have ever been in. The staff was super friendly and it is near the beach so its convenient. The only thing is that the bar is cash only so you have been warned. Other than that I am extremely satisfied. I intend to come back to visit and stay

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Nestor R

Hello Nestor R
Wow! What an amazing review! We are blushing! Thank you for for such a great accolade! We cannot wait to host you again!
many kind regards,