US$120
US$101
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$116/night.

US$62
US$55
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$63/night.

An Upper Room(Durban)(Great Value!)
US$56
Free cancellation until 28/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$131
US$101
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$134/night.

US$82
US$79
US$62
US$41
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$47/night.

US$130
US$119
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$132/night.

US$71
US$68
US$85
US$79
Book now, pay at stay
US$212
Protea Hotels
  • Pool
All reviewsrooftop barushaka marine worldcommunal areasminute walktaxi ranksouth africalaundry servicecommunal kitchennice stayfeel at homereception staffrooms are cleanhostelbackpackersdormmahatmamichelle
Reviewed March 13, 2017 via mobile

A wonderful place to stay! The Happy Hippo is bright and inviting! The rooms and bathrooms are kept in tip top shape. Some evenings they put on events like karaoke. Ushaka marine world and water park is a three minute walk from here and the beach front isn't much further. I enjoyed this stay throughly.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
BrooksieDurban, Owner at Happy Hippo Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2017

Dear Jamie M
Thank you Jamie for your kind words! You have made us really happy too! We loved the fact that you got to enjoy your experience at the Happy Hippo.
We really do hope that we get to host you again in the future?

Reviewed March 13, 2017 via mobile

Really lovely place, but they police you. I felt like I wasn't on holiday, it was like staying with my grandparents. First, a friend and I showed up with a car and were unpacking all my stuff because he was driving to Joburg and I was staying. I had some food and bottles of cider we just had in the cooler, and they saw them and confiscated them. They don't want you drinking any outside alcohol or alcohol on the premises before 5. Sorry, but I'm an adult and if a friend and I want to kick back with a cider at 3 in the afternoon on the rooftop, that's what we'll do. I was miffed they treated us like irresponsible children and not 20 and 30 somethings adults. Then, in the dorm, I had three separate employees come in and check I wasn't using "all the beds". I was the only one in that dorm, and there was one outlet. It was not next to my bed. When I had to charge my laptop, I had to, as a result, lay it on said bed next to the outlet. They were upset the quilt got wrinkled and demanded I move to that bed...even though I had slept in a different one the other night. Like, the effort to straighten out a quilt is so much smaller than remaking an entire bed and changing and washing sheets. They did not seem to understand the concept of ONE OUTLET across the room. Sorry I have to charge my stuff, maybe put more outlets in? Anyway, things like this just continued. They would just open my door without knocking, as if hoping to catch me lying on a different bed. It's bs. I don't need a mother, and I don't appreciate not being trusted: they thought I was lying about the computer charging and just making the room my own. On contrary, I kept all my bags in one corner and only used one wrack to hang my towel. The alcohol, the outlets, all of it makes for what is otherwise a very sweet little hostel right by great surf breaks, kind of an unpleasant and policing stay.

Stayed: March 2017

Dear Marley,
Thankfully, I was able to chat to you on your second morning at the lodge and I see that you did land up staying with us for 13 nights!
It was established that there was a misunderstanding/language barrier as per
our rules at the lodge. We are never going to "police," our guests but will always inform them of our rules if for any reason our company can be jeopardized. (in this case, a liquor license).
With regards to the checking up, of "using all the beds," it was established by Marley and myself that one of our receptionists was trying to make her life easier by trying to suggest the bed closest to the plug point.
We just want to thank you again for the support,

Reviewed March 6, 2017

Happy hippo is a lovely and accommodating backpacker with everything that one needs as a traveller. The common areas are very welcoming and open allowing one to meet others easily but also feel at ease solo. The communal kitchen is also well equipped. The rooms are very clean and well decorated and the communal bathrooms are nice and clean as well. I felt very safe here, and loved how accessible the beachfront is. My group spent 3,5 weeks in South Africa stayed with happy hippo three times throughout our visit. We loved chilling in the rooftop bar, which had a cool bartender with good music.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Haley M
Wow, we are blushing! Thank you so much for such an awesome review! We are so happy that you managed to stay with us so many times whilst in South Africa! It is really good to get such great feedback and most importantly is that you and your friends had such a great time! This means the world to us as we know how special memories are and we all know that we never forget the good times that we have had in the past!
Here's to creating many more special memories,
kind regards

Reviewed February 23, 2017

Great customer service and staff were attentive and helpful. Would visit again in the future if I return to South Africa. Located near Ushaka Marine world. However it is not advisable to walk alone down Mahatma Ghandi Road towards the city end in the evening, especially when you are a foreigner.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo

Dear R6307EQrobertol
We just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to review our hostel. We really do appreciate your feedback, especially with regards to our staff. It makes us really happy to know that we are on the right track! A great tip regarding the wrong way down Mahatma Gandhi road. We will be really grateful when the area is fully developed. Thank you once again,
Kind regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2017

What can I say. It was perfect. Everything was big and comfortable. Fabulous stay. I'd very definitely go back. Very close to unshakable and the oceanfront promenade. Handy for buses. Great views from the rooftop bar.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo

Dear tinar601
Oh my! How wonderful to hear how much you loved it here! It makes us all warm and fuzzy inside! Thank you so much for taking the time out to write such a great review about our lodge, we really do appreciate it.
We look forward to hosting you again.
Michelle and the Happy Hippo team