“Authentic Italian”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 19, 2017

A pre Christmas lunch for 3 couples, the host brought along crackers & festive serviettes to set the scene. Each couple contributed wine, 2 of the men ordered beer & whiskey respectively. The Manageress stopped by to say hello & we had a nice chirpy chat. We ordered focaccias to nibble on whilst everyone decided on their mains. 2 of us chose the capelli di angelo prawns, sublime! My husband had his favourite pasta dish created by rugby hero John Smit. The remaining orders were calamari, steak & flattened chicken & not a morsel was left. I love the character (& Jerry, the Manager!) of their Greyville outlet but confess the view of the ocean on a lovely day is rather special. Highly recommended. NB 45 minute lead time for the chicken so do not order if in a hurry.

Reviewed December 30, 2016

Although somewhat out of the way from Gateway, it is a must to venture out to this restaurant. Food is excellent and well priced, probably my favourite restaurant in South Africa. Note kitchen closes relatively early at 10 and you must book in advance to avoid disappointment

Reviewed December 19, 2016

Wonderful selection of authentic Italian dishes at a very affordable price. Great place for intimate dinners or business lunches.

Reviewed December 16, 2016

Last night I visited this restaurant, along with my wife and stepdaughter. What a bitter disappointment it turned out to be. Based on frequent enjoyable visits in the past, we made the booking, and we were looking forward to some decent wine and a tasty meal.

The first problem to rear its ugly head was the wine. I have grave doubts that it was the wine it was purported to be, as it was not poured into the individual carafes from a sealed bottle at our table, but one cannot prove anything. It tasted like it had been matured in a plastic bucket on the rooftop parking. Vile is an understatement. They replaced it at my insistence, but the substitute was only marginally better.

My meal, the "Pasta di Casa", was an exercise in indifference. The prawns, which had previously been plump, juicy and firm, were insipid and floury - frozen in the Ice Age, perhaps. The spaghetti was overcooked to the point of disintegration, the only al dente here being the one in the chef's reputation. I had asked for the rocket garnish to be swapped for basil, so imagine my surprise when I received neither. A few tired sprigs of curly parsley - yes, curly, not flatleaf Italian (who could possibly expect that in an Italian restaurant?), lay atop my pasta, like so much driftwood. And to say my pasta was tossed in the olive oil which is integral to this dish, is to be generous in the extreme. My wife and stepdaughter's pizza's passed muster only insofar as they transcended mediocrity by the merest whisker.

And, to add insult to injury, at the end of the evening it was evident that a member of the local insect population was enjoying some wine along with my wife. She nearly swallowed the offender.

The waiter, though apologetic, was out of his depth. We certainly will not be back in a hurry.

Reviewed October 18, 2016

A great restaurant with genuine Italian food, homemade pasta and delicious pizzas, the desserts are a must try, especially the decadent Italian ice-cream