2,240 results
All reviews curry buffet the grill high tea lighthouse bar oysters wayne coetzer oyster bar ocean terrace restaurant resident cat attention to detail our waiter bucket list colonial style indian ocean curries sea facing room old world charm
Reviewed October 1, 2017 via mobile

Went for lunch at the ocean Terrence and WOW is the word! The food was excellent and the service was superb! Our waiter was excellent waiting on our every word and the food didn’t take long at all! My boyfriend had the baby chicken and I had the soul it was tasty and a perfect meal! Would recommend both dishes! Looking forward to coming again! Definitely was everything I anticipated!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
OBumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your visit to
The Oyster Box.

I am thrilled to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your meal on The Ocean Terrace overlooking the ocean, where you experienced exceptional service.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 1, 2017

The Oyster box is a good as it gets. The setting is gorgeous. You better like the sound of surf because that's what your getting.

The biggest thing there is the staff and it's training. The best trained staff I've ever encountered. Within an hour of arrival it seems everybody knew our name. Impressive.

It seems even the wild monkeys were trained. Comically arriving on time it seems, on cue.

That's the good part. There were some parts that looked a little inconsistent to me.

The food was very good. It should have been fabulous to keep pace with the rest of the place. While the tomatoes were FABULOUS. Huge flavor,, bursting with perfect goodness..... the salad greens were substandard across the board. It was not possible to get a great salad anywhere in South Africa I found. The suppliers just didn't have the product I guess. And the sheets... I didn't like the sheets. I'm betting that the thread count was so high that my unsophisticated skin couldn't adjust and to me they felt like polyester which I'm certain they were not. Certainly my fault- not theirs.

Still I did take notice that the piano in the lobby was and old 1950's era Steinway. If only it could have spoken, who knows what tales it could tell? No Yamaha for this place. It sounded lovely, and fit perfectly in all ways these things are judged.
The local art collection was wonderful. Very carefully chosen pieces, I recognize that effort. The art could light you up or make you cry or both at the same time.. Spectacular.

But the people working there make the Oyster Box. All special people. All highly trained to appear that they weren't.

Wow- what an experience. Thank you ownership, management and especially staff. We'll be back, God willing

Room Tip: they are all good- no worries

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your stay with us at
The Oyster Box.

It is wonderful to hear that you found the setting on the beach absolutely gorgeous and the trained and friendly staff amazing. Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's stay with us is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

Thank you for your constructive feedback which I will share with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 1, 2017

Afternoon Tea at The Oyster Box was a wonderful experience from the welcome from our waiter, Julius, the beautifully set table, the champagne on offer and what can one say about the delicious food Wow! I could have gone back to the buffet time and time , well actually I did!!

The whole ambience of The Oyster Box is well worth a visit.

Oyster Box you will defiantly see me again.

Thankyou.
Maureen.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your visit to The Oyster Box.

I am delighted to know that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves at the ever-popular High Tea held daily in The Palm Court.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the member of staff who took great care of you. I will be sure to share this with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed September 29, 2017

We recently had our second stay at this beautiful hotel, this time in a sea facing luxury suite. The rooms were absolutely amazing, beautifully appointed with great sea views. Whales and dolphins also regularly swam past so that was an added bonus.

Interestingly enough the service was mixed this time. At times we had friendly, professional and typically excellent efficient service from staff. Absolute stand outs were Mondli and Anneri who couldn't have done more to ensure our stay was wonderful! The Oyster Bar was fairly disappointing though, waiting considerable times to either order or pay despite few people being there. On a couple of occasions we just gave up and went elsewhere.

Overall though it was another great stay at The Oyster Box. Thank you for your wonderful hospitality and we look forward to hopefully returning to our favourite hotel soon.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quiet with excellent ocean views

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us at
The Oyster Box.

As a returning and much-valued guest, I am thrilled to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular your amazing luxurious accommodation.

Thank you for your constructive feedback which I will be sharing with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 29, 2017

Sir, I address this email to you with a heavy heart: we recently spent a few days at your hotel and, being the pedantic perfectionist that I am – some actual describe me as bordering on OCD – I have to advise that I could find NOTHING wrong with my entire stay. This saddened me greatly, since my natural tendency is to seek out imperfections in situations where the so-called 5-star accreditation is lackadaisically thrown at various establishments.

Alack and alas, my eagerly anticipated desire to see you and your hotel fall into that category, failed – and miserably, too.

Let me start at the beginning: I spoke to and communicated with various people regarding my booking, way back in April, 2017. I requested to pay everything upfront. EVERYTHING went according to plan. No hitch. No inefficiency. I was gutted. Amongst others, Ricci-lee was to blame: perhaps you should hire her out to your neighbour for them to understand what client centricity means…..

Then we arrived at your hotel last week: book-in was seamless, the lemon-grass wafting through our bodies like a soft and gentle wave caressing our bodies. Gutted again.

Porters didn’t trip, break anything, or dally in their duties. BUT they were more than that. Friendly. Strange.

One day, we were dining at your main restaurant (actually, we dined there EVERY day – no more MacDonald’s for us, I’m afraid, another demerit to yourselves, since my expense budget now strains at the seams). Michael comes up to me and says that he apologies for the delay that I have experienced, since my wife’s meal arrived, and mine hadn’t. What? I hadn't even waited two minutes! He offered free food. What? Where would I put all that seven-star luxury-cuisine gourmet? In my over-inflated big toe? I settled on another beer, very embarrassed, to say the least, since I certainly had experienced no delay whatsoever. Wonder what would have been offered had I had to wait three minutes ……

The second day of our stay, we asked Justin to give us the orientation tour: thought that that would take five to ten minutes. It was the most glorious one hour of our entire stay! Your establishment is FANTASTIC! Needless to say, gutted again. Everything was going so, so right, it was infuriating.

We decided that we wanted to eat at your other restaurant. This, I felt sure, would be the time for my OCD to kick in big time. I was relishing the moment. Excited. Nervous. Anticipation is always better than the actual event. But, once again, this communication to you is to complain that our experience that evening was the BEST I have ever experienced. I have had to increase my visits to my therapists (notice the plural), because there was nothing I could find wrong: the ambience, the aromas, the service, the cuisine, the tastes, the preparation and presentation. Perhaps one complaint: the hórs d'oeuvres had far too many choices. I chose one, then two, then three, and eventually stopped at four – about a dozen short of what was on offer, each better than the next.

And the duck? NEVER have I had the pleasure, delight and opportunity of sampling cuisine like that. Didn’t know that they actually made fatless duck – where did all that gristle and fattiness disappear to? You know, that to which I have become accustomed to experiencing whenever ordering duck at any other establishment? Do you breed and feed your own poultry too? Wouldn’t surprise me.

But, in order to cut this complaint short, let’s just get to the last day, the day of departure, because surely I have utmost legitimacy in complaining: my wife cried. Cried, I tell you – and not once, but twice. She has NEVER cried when leaving some place of stay and, not to be too immodest, we have wined, dined and vegged – not for an hour or two, but for days on end – at establishments from Alaska to Japan, from Argentina to Canada, and most places in between, but NEVER has my wife cried because we had to leave. What, Sir, did you and your staff do to my wife? DEFINITELY cause for complaint.

But – and this is my last (I think) paragraph on this topic – the worst was NOT the efficiencies, the quality, the aroma, the cuisine, the décor, the layout: it was the PEOPLE. They are everywhere! Where do you buy them, because I need a few of them? They have a GENUINE interest in YOU. They are friendly, they are caring, they are attentive, they are …. Well, they are just so damn NICE! From the guy at the lift (Senzo?), to Charlie and Nathi, and the housemaid (she thanked US for staying there – definitely cause to complain, don’t you think?). We did not have to rely on OUR waitron to assist us, EVERYONE did. Yes, you guessed it: I was gutted. Everything, and everyone, was perfect.

You have positively ruined all future trips anywhere in the world: from now on, we will merely spend a few days in one of the rooms at our home that we don’t use, since all the kids have left. It will feel like a holiday, but without the absolute luxury – in all respects – that we will be foregoing by not visiting you again.

I do hope that your staff will be suitably reprimanded for making my stay so horrid and unbearable.

Room Tip: Everything is brilliant
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
OBumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2017

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments, it was wonderful talking to you on the phone.

Kind Regards