2,264 results
All reviews curry buffet the grill high tea lighthouse bar oysters wayne coetzer oyster bar ocean terrace restaurant resident cat attention to detail our waiter bucket list sea facing room indian ocean old world charm curries sparkling wine
Reviewed April 24, 2018

Went to the Oyster Box in March 2018 for dinner. Our first evening in South Africa and what a wonderful start to our holiday. Fabulous food, fabulous views and excellent service. (Thank you Rakesh.) What more could you wish for. If you are in the vicinity, put it on your list of places to visit. Just wished we had been staying there, as I am sure it would be just as stunning during the daytime.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
OBumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your visit to The Oyster Box on your first evening in South Africa.

I am thrilled you enjoyed an amazing meal in our fine dining restaurant, The Grill Room and were spoilt with exceptional service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay to enjoy our fantastic facilities on offer when next you visit our shores.

Reviewed April 22, 2018 via mobile

I spent another 4 nights in this wonderful hotel while on business in Umhlanga. My first visit was in 1971 and for the past 47 years the consistently good service, excellent food and wonderfull old-world charm, makes this one of the best hotels to enjoy - whether on business or on holiday.

Fantastic view and superb service!

Tip 1 - the seaview balcony rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors are well worth the extra cost.

Tip 2 - the Indian breakfast lamb chop chutney is not on the menu - order 24hrs before, you will not be disappointed!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
OBumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

As returning and much-valued guests, your feedback is most important to us and I am thrilled therefore to read that we have again, following 47 years of visits, exceeded your expectations with the fantastic ocean views and amazing service.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 21, 2018 via mobile

Once again my stay at The Oyster Box was nothing short of superb! Calling it home from home is doing this immaculate KZN institution a dis-service as it is even better. Beautiful rooms, fabulous staff and excellent service. Thank you to Tyler and the rest of the team for making my stay so easy, comfortable and luxurious. As always just too short! Can’t wait for the next one!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Feedback such as yours is most appreciated, as we know our guests enjoy our "home from home" feeling we offer and to read that you experienced an even better time here is absolutely wonderful.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 20, 2018

I stayed at The Oyster Box in April with my two daughters. My first trip to SA - what a beautiful country and a fantastic hotel. We were very well looked after by Wayne, Tyler and team. Our luxurious rooms had spectacular sea views and enabled me to go for an early morning swim in the terrace pool.
The food, produced by Executive Chef, Kevin and team was of exceptional quality and included everything you could wish for. There was a fantastic breakfast spread everything from oysters to honeycomb. On an extra special night in the Grill Room we shared a melting chateaubriand followed by the signature crepes suzette expertly prepared by the Maitre d’ Hendry.
Keith was our guide to Durban including The Kwamule Museum which housed the city’s infamous Native Administration Centre, the Moses Mabhida stadium affording great views of the city and the beautiful botanic gardens. We spent two days on safari at Leopard Mountain part of the Manyoni Game reserve. Sally organised this for us at very short notice and that was an experience of a lifetime. Padrick was our driver, after an interesting stop at a roadside market, we came home to The Oyster Box.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely thrilled to read that we exceeded your expectations throughout your stay and that you found everything to your liking. Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's stay with us is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future.

Reviewed April 19, 2018 via mobile

This was our 1st stop on the way to Phinda. A great hotel in Northwest Durban. Great views and the staff is unquestionably very attentive to your stay. Great food and the monkeys were a treat while we were having a meeting. Oyster Box Grill is a block away and one of the best restaurants that I have eaten in my travels. They serve Greenfields grass fed beef. If i ever go back , this is a must to visit again

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
OBumhlangaRocks, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us at The Oyster Box on the north coast of KwaZulu-Natal at Umhlanga Rocks.

I am absolutely delighted to read that you experienced exceptional service from the attentive staff. Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's stay with us is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

Thank you for your comments regarding our fine dining restaurant,The Grill Room, which is inside the hotel. I will be sure to share your thoughts with the Chef and his team on the wonderful meal you enjoyed.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future.