All reviews water hole game drives watering hole plunge pool dry river bed hoedspruit airport animals visiting private concession private deck the river other guests per day awesome experience off road wild animals holiday of a lifetime travel agent
Reviewed July 9, 2018

What really made my stay great was the staff. I think often of how friendly and polite all of them were. By the second day, all the staff knew our names and always greeted us with a smile. My fiance proposed to me on our last evening there on the terrace. It was romantic and intimate. I will definitely never forget Imbali. The game drives were fun and adventurous. Although we didn't get to see the big 5, this was an experience of a lifetime.The food at the lodge was excellent. I was brave enough to try ostrich and it was delicious.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
inkbos737, Public Relations Manager at Imbali Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2018

Dear _KTB188 -
THank you for sharing your impressions of you stay at Imbali Safari Lodge. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us, especially the game drives. Mos of all we're thrilled that your fiance chose Imbali to propose to you and we wish you both a lifetime of shared joy and happiness.

Reviewed May 30, 2018

Have been visiting this lodge for the past 10 years (I am a South Africa tourist guide) . The lodge is very nice and the location as well inside a beautiful 10 hectares private concession. I personally find the lodge a bit dated, quiet dull and dark.A fresh and simple revamp would make it look absolutely fabulous. The lodge has no bar facility,there is no drink cabinet with prices that we can suggest the client to look at. For a 4 * lodge I personally find it strange! The rooms are very gracious, the bathrooms spacious and bright.What a pity that maintenance leaves much to be desired.The last 2 week- ends, I was given my favorite room no.9 : The toilet flush handle was a bit faulty resulting in wasting water. The shower glass window are in a bad state,the shower head encrusted with calcium build up. The mosquito net was full of little holes and had few stains; why has the housekeeping staff not attended to replace or remove such an unsightly furnishing from the room ? The waiters service is not of a constant level. Certain of the staff are excellent, professional and competent, others are mediocre and require some more training. The food is excellent,I had the pleasure to meet the head chef, he is a wonderful person, accommodating person an sensitive to clients culinary needs Well done ! The rangers go out of their way to make the safari experience an unforgettable one. Well done! The lodge has lots of potential it just needs a firm management, some more TLC and a refreshing small revamp.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
inkbos737, Public Relations Manager at Imbali Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2018

Dear bouscatie -
Thank you for taking the time to post your very detailed review of Imbali Safari Lodge - as an 'insider' and a multiple repeat guests, we particularly value your insightful comments. There's a lot of food for thought for us in your review, and we'd like to assure you that we will be taking the time to go through it in detail and address the points you raised. Thank you, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 17, 2018

This place met all my requirements for a relaxing stay: healthy choices in food; friendly staff (especially Mary in the dining room); personalized service; and a great game guide — thank you Wesley.

I have been going on safari in Africa since 1977 so sometimes feel a bit jaded. “Try to top my experiences.” Well, Imbali did.

The cottages are comfortable and the entire lodge is furnished in a tasteful colonial Africa theme. Karen Blixen would feel right at home with the Out of Africa decor. High point of the room: the most enormous bathtub in my bathroom. It was perfect for a wonderful soak after a bouncy game drive.

The food is non-stop and delicious. The wait staff takes dinner orders at lunch to individualize each entree. Smart move that cuts down on waste. And the food options provide for vegetarian. Breakfast is similarly healthy — yogurt, granola, fresh fruit, etc, as an option to the full English breakfast with bacon and eggs.

Wesley our game guide was a fountain of information. His knowledge of how the concession operates, the native vegetation, and the life cycle of the animals viewed opened new windows for me. He had an amazingly dry wit, to boot.

What I particularly liked about Imbali was the personal service. It’s small and the staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome. When my travel agent phoned me at the lodge, and when my transfer company phoned to reconfirm my pickup, a manager greeted me in the lounge to make sure I had received the calls. They leave nothing to chance.

Oh, and the game viewing? We saw rhino in our first hour on Day 1. Wesley spotted lion and leopard the morning of Day 2. It doesn’t get any better than that.

Thank you, Imbali, for a wonderful visit.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
inkbos737, Public Relations Manager at Imbali Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2018

Dear HerbTreger -
Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review of your stay at Imbali Safari Lodge. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, and that the Imbali team took such good care of you. As a self-described Africa veteran, your comments mean a great deal to us - thank you.

Reviewed May 15, 2018

A 5* awesome experience, Thank you Imbali, Eddie and staff, you guys exceeded our expectations, a wonderful getaway into the bush, peaceful, quiet, surrounded by nature. A gem of a place. The room was perfect, spacious and clean with all the bits and bobs. The sunrise and sunset drives were amazing, thank you Eddie. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
inkbos737, Public Relations Manager at Imbali Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2018

Dear Liesl Connellan -
We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at Imbali Safari Lodge. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experiences, and for recommending Imbali to future travellers - we're honoured that you would do that!

Reviewed May 15, 2018 via mobile

This was the first time my husband and I stayed at the concession lodge in the park. Overall experince was good with some areas standing out and some not so.
Standing out was definitely the game drives. We had an exceptional guide Wesley. He brought us close to the viewing sites and always cared for his guests. General staff were personal and very accommodating. They knew us by name and that made it special.
Views from the reception are excellent. Our room was below huge trees where baboons rested for the night. Although loud with all sorts of sounds and bickering, they created an overall bush experience. The rooms were tastefully done and private plunge pool at the decking welcome.
A couple of suggested points of improvement; on our first evening after the boma meal going back to the reception for a night cap, we almost had to walk into the kitchen to seek assistance with drinks, we also had to seek assistance with someone getting us back to the room. It seemed there was no one around.
On the first morning of the game drive, breakfast from chaffing dishes was cold. After being cold from the morning game drive and looking forward to a hot breakfast, it very disappointing. We understand there was a problem with some staff not getting in due to protests at the gate but that should not be passed over to guests.
Other than that, it would have been 5.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
inkbos737, Public Relations Manager at Imbali Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2018

Dear Lebogang H -
Thank you for taking the time to post your very detailed review of your stay at Imbali Safari Lodge. We're very happy to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us and we appreciate your constructive comments on the areas where we can still improve.