All reviewsgame drivesthe riveroutdoor showerwine cellarraised walkwaysafari lodgeoff roadstaff were incredibleland rovermemorable experiencebush walkherd of elephantsprivate poolsouthern krugerexperienced rangersprivate concessiongame experience
Reviewed November 4, 2017 via mobile

This is such an amazing place, run by amazing staff. Once you pass the gate you become part of their family. I can not speak highly enough of this place as it is so amazing. We visited it 2 years ago and loved it so much we returned this year, on our return we where remembered by so many of the staff it was lovely and so welcoming. The service is of the highest quality from reception, guides, trackers, bar staff, chief and kitchen service they are all so lovely and just want to make your stay special.
The safari drives are amazing with such brilliant sightings of such a vast amount of beautiful animals large and small in there natural habitat, you will not be disappointed. We saw the big 5 both times we have visited along with so much more. The leopard is so stunning to see, but the elephants around the water hole just feet away from you dinner table is a real winner for me. The knowledge and respect the staff have for these amazing animals is lovely and I have a lot of respect for them and the job they do. They will cater to anybody's needs from diet needs to mobility and make it happen like it was easy.
Thank you guys for such an amazing stay and we will see you again in 2 years

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2017 via mobile

I went with my wife for our honeymoon and it was an incredible experience!! The staff members, the attention, the food, the game drives, and I could keep on going. They were in every little detail and made our honeymoon an unforgettable one!! 100% recommendable!!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2017

Five Star Luxury Service and Accommodations throughout! I went to South Africa because my nonprofit was installing a water pump and well in a remote village. Some kind person got word of it and offered to help pay for an unforgettable night at Lukimbi. When I arrived, an armed bellman took me to my personal hut. Armed because the lodge is right in the game park. You never know what might wander up to your hut! Hut probably isn’t the right word. Luxurious slice of heaven might be better.

It was fun when we entered. I think my host delighted in showing me around as much as I delighted in being shown around. He pointed out the sunken living room, the screened in porch, the king sized bed surrounded with tied back romantic mosquito netting. Yes. Mosquito netting, tied back beautifully looks like tulle. Dreamy. A little menu and a note from the general manager were tied up in a scroll at the end of the bed with a sprig of Rosemary.

Then my guide took me to the bathroom. More like a personal spa. Slate tub, indoor and outdoor showers. All looked out at the wild beauty. “A lot of big windows, so you never miss a look at the animals, even when you’re on the toilet!” He chuckled.

I was flying solo, so I joined a couple on my first excursion who were avid birders. It was delightful when they pointed out rare finds. Quite exciting. For me, the excitement was having the spotter strapped on a chair in the front of the vehicle, watching for game. We saw Rhino, Giraffe, Elephant, Water Buffalo, Springbok, Antelope, and then we had our magical moment. Everybody was joyfully chatting above the hum of the engine as we drove into the bush. We slowed to a crawl and everyone got real quiet.

“What? What’s going on?” I said in my regular voice, which tends to carry due to a deaf ear situation. ;-)

“Shh….” The guide pointed. FIVE male lions. All just a few yards from us! I remembered the thick glass between us and the lions at the zoo. We were in an open air Jeep!

“Is this ok?” I asked.

“As long as you stay low, they see the people and the Jeep as one animal,” Our guide offered.

It. Was. Incredible!

But I digress. This is supposed to be a review of Lukimbi.

The next morning I enjoyed scrambled eggs with Lox and Caviar. Huddled above me in the trees was a family of monkeys huddled for warmth. A chilly morning in August, it warmed up nicely to about 70 degrees later in the day.

The food was divine.

Oh. And let’s not forget… the food at sunset in the bush. While on safari, there was a moment when the Jeep stopped, the guide got out, and set up a beautiful spread with champagne, beer, and a delicious spread of appetizers served on white linen. The only thing better than the spread was watching the sunset over the expansive South African Sky.

Thank you, Lukimbi! I’ll be back one day.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed October 28, 2017

We have stayed at Lukimbi 3 times. First 2 times as a couple.
This time with our family including 3 children of 5, 7 and 10 .
Lukimbi is a perfect for a romantic couple stay and also perfect with children. We decided staying in the suites so the children had their own plungepool and the children could sleep in the living room.
Lukimbi does a lot for the children including special menu and were also very flexible so we could have dinner before other guests.
AND - as always - the wildlife were great including elephants below the plungepool every day

Room Tip: For couple - E7 or W7 and W8. For family the suites
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2017

It's hard to know where to begin with my incredible and unforgettable stay at Lukimbi. I guess... the animals? situated on a private reserve, we and the handful of other guests got them all to ourselves: lions, elephants, hippos, giraffes, zebras, monkeys, and more. Unlike the public park, the animals weren't overwhelmed by fleets of jeeps encircling them with camera-snapping tourists. Here, it was just 6 people in a vehicle and the wild. The mornings were gorgeous, with the sun rising over the mists rising from the Bush. The evening safaris fond us drinking gin and tonics at a folding table the guides set up in the Bush, under a blood red sun.

The guides were just great. Passionate and knowledgable, and also very attuned to our safety. The rest of the staff was equally professional, from the desk, to the restaurant staff, to the barman, to house keeping. So many nice touches. We loved the hot towels that we'd be greeted with upon return from the safari, for one.

The property itself was impressive. The entire structure is built to make the frequently-visited watering hole the centerpiece. Whether eating at the restaurant, swimming in the pool, or hanging out at the back porch of the cabins (or even showering or taking a bath, yup, sitting on the toilet.., ha ha), you could pretty much be sure to see elephants and impala passing by.

The rooms themselves are clean, nicely decorated and comfortable. The food is good. Drinks aren't part of the all-inclusive, but we were surprised how reasonable the prices were; we had quite a lot, and the bill wasn't bad at all.

Lukimbi is probably one of the best places i've ever stayed. I highly recommend going for it and doing a bigger spend and staying here. Six stars out of five.

Stayed: May 2017