“A good stop before entering KNP at Pafuri Gate”
Review of Pafuri River Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Louis Trichardt
Pafuri River Camp
Reviewed 11 October 2017

After coming from Pontdrift border the Pafuri River camp makes good stop before entering Pafuri Gate KNP. A good place to camp and birds all around + the sounds of cowbells! Facilities on some of the campsites are private with toilest and showers with hot and cold water and of course you are very welcome to make use of the bar for food and/ or drinks. Nice walking and a stunning sunset on top of the hills.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Very peaceful and relaxing environment. Birds Paradise. We did a bird watching walk with Sam. He did an excellent job. You need to be very quick and focused to spot all the species. The facilities are rustic but comfortable. The sleeping upstairs needs a bit of planning with going to the bathroom during the night. Very friendly staff looking after the camp and keeping it neat and organized. We also did the stargazing very good and interesting. Close to the Kruger for a day visit to the park makes this a fantastic place to stay over.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2017

I enjoyed my stay at Pafuri River Camp; nice site for my tent, good conversations with Martin and nice walks along Pafuri River.
Good nature experience, no luxe but ideal for self catering and camping. Though I enjoyed my dinner and breakfast with Martin!
Staff helped with my flat tyre (thanks again guys!).

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

We Visited Pafuri Rivercamp on our way to Mozambique. We where a party of 3 adults and 2 children. One child 3 uears and one 1 years of age. We had to pay halfprice for the children and upon arrival there was no beds for them? I myself had to organise a place for my children to sleep. So why did I need to pay for them?

The bathroom had a stench no one could handle.

I contacted the onwers about this and their reply was that it their tarrifs and its my problem that I brought kids to their establishment!

A big bif dissapointment!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Riekie P
Reviewed 15 September 2016

For a bush experience, this was really the place to be. In spite of the drought, it is still beautiful. Campsite kitchen well appointed and the tents clean and comfortable. Totally not wheelchair friendly. Staff were really friendly and helpful

Room Tip: Choose unit close to riverfront
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2016

My girlfriend and I stayed at PRC for four nights. We arrived on a Friday and left the following Tuesday. The camp setting is not too bad, although one must not expect to have a view on the river. The campsites are kept clean and are very basic, but not much provision has been made for height clearance when camping with a roof top tent or caravan. We found a spot where we could erect our roof top tent and our neighbours had a spot for their caravan, but further than that I do not think that the other campsites would be able to host roof top tents or caravans. One might just need to mention to PRC what you will be camping with so that they can prepare a camp spot for you.

One thing I really need to mention is that the staff are very helpful and are extremely friendly. They clean out the ash, dustbins and toilets everyday and always ask permission before they enter your camp site. The oil lamps are lit every evening before it gets dark and it is sufficient enough. My favourite part about the camp site was the bathroom.. (I know - sounds weird). Each campsite is allocated with their own bathroom, having a male and female side. Each side has a basin, toilet and an AMAZING shower! The showers operate on gas geysers for hot water and we had no problems with the gas geysers, they worked perfectly everytime. The bathrooms are built out of wooden poles and it is really awesome! The bathrooms are well kept clean and no hassles with regards to foul smells or the like. At the back of the bathroom there are basins for one to wash dishes, etc.

PRC is located very close to the Pafuri gate which is also really handy when going to the KNP. PRC sells wood and ice as well. They have a hill called signal hill where one can walk to for cellphone reception, if required, but the rest of the camp has no signal.

The tree top tents really look amazing to stay in as they are right on the river and have a beautiful view, although this does not change the surrounding noises (discussed below). I would encourage anyone to stay in these tree tops and be sure to book either Sausage Tree or Lead Wood - those two look like the best spots!

PRC really treated us well, but there a few things that really put me off:
1) The campsite is not as peaceful as what you think it would be. The whole day you hear bells ringing that have been tied onto the locals cows and goats. Hearing that ting-ting sound the whole day can become irritating. That's what bothered us during the day. The first night we heard a lot of singing, shouting and screaming coming from the nearby village and that went on for about 2/3 hrs. The second night we had singing and loud music from the villages side again, along with dogs constantly barking until 10 at night. The third night (a Sunday) we heard music, bells, constant barking and someone who was grinding steel until 10 that night?!? To me this was just unacceptable and I couldn't believe that someone was grinding until that time of the night. This really put us both off so much because we were expecting a peaceful bush setting. Funny enough, the fourth night was amazing... It was dead quiet and one would hear a pin drop. This was beautiful and only then did we hear the jackal close by, etc.. So if you are looking for a real peaceful place with some night life, then PRC is not your place.

2) The website is misleading when it comes to activities. The whole thing about taking a tube and going down the river does not work because when the river is too low one cannot go and when it is high then the crocs move in. Sounds great and fun, but do not expect it to happen. Another thing is that my girlfriend and I were really looking forward to doing the sunset watching with sundowners. When we asked if we could book for it, they told us that they do not want to do it if it's only two people, they will only do it for big groups. I found this really unfair as we were willing to pay and were excited to do it, but they couldnt be interested. The bird watching tour is legit and our camping neighbours who did it were very happy with their tour and enjoyed it heart out!

For the rest we really enjoyed the camping and had nothing to complain about, other than the surrounding sounds. We really had a great time and slept like rocks!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2016

Would not reccomend this camp to anyone. Getting there is a complete nightmare unless one comes on the main road from Louis Trichardt. The owners when contacted for assistance were less than helpful . Accomodation is very basic , no electricity, no hot water (the gas geyser was broken) . The camp is in need of a good overhaul and needs lots of money spent on it to get it up to a reasonable standard. Compared to the bungalows in Kruger National Park, the accomodation was poor in the extreme. We had booked to stay for two nights and left after having been there for 1 night and found alternative accomodation elsewhere. Will definitely not be back or reccommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Madi a Thavha Mountain Lodge
#1 of 21 in Louis Trichardt
135.5 km away
Lalapanzi Hotel & Conference Centre
Lalapanzi Hotel & Conference Cen...
#14 of 21 in Louis Trichardt

Been to Pafuri River Camp? Share your experiences!