All reviews boer war sun city heroes bar national park outdoor shower museum tour venison rich history animals including no wifi in the rooms house museum small game water problem game driver reception team game drives breakfast buffet
Reviewed June 13, 2018 via mobile

I decided to book at Keder Lodge while being on business in Rustenburg. The write up seemed good and it seemed an interesting place to stay. What caught my attention though was the food offered through their restaurants. When I arrived the reception was ok. But when I enquired to the buffet she rold me that it was not to be ser ed due to low numbers. In stead I could eat ala carte in the restuarant. I was directed to my room by a friendly staff member. The room was nice - but had some issues during my stay. The floors in the rooms are slate and very cold. No rugs on the floor. The shower needs an upgrade as it has a showerhead that dates from the "boerwar". Good bed and sleepability however. Later i went for dinner. The restaurant was closed and I found my way to the bar. I was given a menu and ordered a "feast" that consisted of a chop,wors,steak an some oily onion rings. I asked for pap in place of chips. They could only provide something called a barbecue sauce that frankly was disgusting. The food arrived some time later, on a cold plate . I had to sit at a low coffee table on a couch eating dinner. Not pleasant and I left most of the food. The next morning at breakfast there was a lot of asian tourists. The breakfast was very basic. I had some yogurt, a piece of fruit and some pancakes. I had dinner in Rustenburg the next evening with 15 colleagues as the buffet was still not available and I was planning to treat them to dinner at the lodge. When I booked out this morning I was met by another unpleasant surprise : I was told by the receptionist that I owed R33 for a passionfruit and lemonade I had with dinner. I pointed out that my company paid for all cold drinks : her response : "it is not a soft drink" So I paid and left with a really bad taste. I will recommend to my company to remove the lodge from our prefered vendors.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank Phillip W
RecreationAfrica, Manager at Kedar Heritage Lodge, Conference Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to bring to our attention the various concerns you experienced at Kedar and for taking our call, your experience is our lesson and a lesson well taken, we apologise for any inconvenience caused and we have already taken steps to improve on all matters mentioned. We look forward to welcoming you back in a few weeks time.

Reviewed June 11, 2018

Staff were very welcoming, friendly and polite. We only visited for the day and toured through the lodge and historical buildings.We had lunch in the Armory Restaurant, which was unfortunately a great disappointment. The selection on the buffet didn't leave much to be desired - very few vegetable options, roast potatoes were under-cooked, kudu roast too rare and not pleasant to eat (I eat venison almost daily - this would put me off venison if this was the first time I tried it!). Would definitely not eat there again.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

We sincerely apologise for the experience you had at Kedar Heritage Lodge, with regards to the lunch. Thank you for pointing out your displeasure of our food offering and we extend our sincerest apologies for this. Together with our well respected Executive Chef, we will take this opportunity to look into revitalizing and improving our food.

Reviewed May 1, 2018

Staff very welcoming and rooms are spotless. Very well equipped rooms with outdoor shower. Grounds are very clean and tidy and the buffet breakfast is very good.covered parking and a very good spa on the property.
The only negative was the food from the Armory Restaurant. They didn't have Eisbein although it was advertised and I settled for the Pork Belly which was served cold and very oily. The condiments that was advertised with it was also not served. Would definately not eat there again.

Room tip: The super deluxe rooms are nice and have a good view.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
RecreationAfrica, Manager at Kedar Heritage Lodge, Conference Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2018

Dear Mr. Kruger,

First of all, please allow us to say thank you for the kind words in you review and the opportunity to have
spoken to you yesterday. We truly appreciate the positive feedback and can only apologize for the fact that
your experience in the restaurant put a damper on your visit tor our lovely property..

Your feedback is invaluable in order for us to continuously improve our service and eliminate our shortfalls.
I can assure you that measures have already been put in place to ensure incidents of this nature do not
occur again.

We look forward to your continued support and hope to welcome you back in the near future to Kedar
Heritage Lodge !

Reviewed April 13, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as a stop-over whilst driving from Johannesburg airport to Pilansberg national park. Upon entering the premises, we found this to be a very interesting lodge, with lots of historic memorabilia. Anyone with an interest in the Boer War would find this very interesting - we definitely learnt a thing or two during our stay! The lodge has museum-like features spread throughout.
The rooms themselves are really nice, and are finished with a real traditional South African decor, which added to the sense of where you really are. The room was really clean and beds extremely comfortable! The TV had all the English football on show - great for my partner, not so great for me!
We chose to go on a one hour game drive to which we were not disappointed. This park does not have the big 5, but nonetheless, offers a variety of animals including giraffes, zebras and impalas. Our game driver was very knowledgable and fun, which made the trip enjoyable. However, if you are looking for a bigger safari experience, this might not be ideal for that.
In the evening, we experienced a traditional South African BBQ. The atmosphere was very pleasant, with tables outdoor, surrounding the fire. However, the food was not our cup of tea, mostly it was fatty red meats on the bone, some of which we weren’t exactly sure which animal it had come from. I would suggest vegetarians might enjoy the accompanying food. The food was buffet style, which meant we could fill up on the other foods - rice, vegetables, potato wedges etc.
I would recommend staying here, but one night was enough for us, as it is quite secluded and low key. We felt very safe here and felt like staff were happy to have us stay.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
RecreationAfrica, Manager at Kedar Heritage Lodge, Conference Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2018

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Kedar! We are delighted you took the time to visit and that you had such a positive experience. We look forward to seeing you back again soon!

Reviewed February 11, 2018 via mobile

Rob Forsyth has amassed one of the finest collections of South African Historical memorabilia and has created Kedar Heritage Lodge around it. Together with beautiful botanical gardens and an adjoining game park it is truly a tribute to the country’s heritage. The rooms are very comfortable- well equipped with efficient air-conditioning and masses of space. Ours was overlooking the the game park - a great place from which to watch a wide selection of wildlife and birds from the comfort of your own room, or even the jacuzzi! There were two pools to choose from.
Only an hour from the city it is an excellent base from which to visit the many visitor attractions in the area without having to cope with the hustle and bustle of city life. An afternoon game drive was the perfect start to the evening followed by dinner either under the stars or in the Armoury restaurant. We ate at the Boma and thoroughly enjoyed dining outside after a long flight from the UK. The spa facilities looked excellent but sadly we weren’t there long enough to sample them.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
RecreationAfrica, Manager at Kedar Heritage Lodge, Conference Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your very positive comments about Kedar. We make every effort to ensure that our guests have a relaxing and enjoyable stay and we are delighted that we met your expectations!