“Another lovely stay!”

The Palace of the Lost City
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Sun City
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We have stayed at the Palace on a few occasions and although it is pretty expensive in South African terms, I think it's worth the cost.

On arrival, you will be greeted by various people - someone to take your car keys and park your car (parking is R55.00 per day which I personally feel should not be charged - you don't get charged anywhere else in Sun City for parking, so why at the Palace?) There is no alternative elsewhere at the Palace, so why charge? Maybe that's just me though. The porter will take your bags away. A lady will be on hand as you get out your car and who, after checking in, will take you to your room and ask you if you need 'orientation', eg what's in the room etc and the facilities the hotel has to offer. The porter will then deliver your bags. So be prepared with tip money times three (person parking your car, the orientation lady and the porter).

We stayed in a luxury double room on the second floor and it overlooked a waterfall on the side of the resort. Warnings on the doors to keep the balcony doors closed as monkeys/baboons can come in and trash your room! We happened to pass a room in the main hotel once and saw the results of this once before.....

The room is a good size with a double bed and small seating area with a couch. The bathroom is also a good size adjoining the room by way of large sliding doors. Wardrobes/closet space big enough for clothes for a long stay. There is a mini-bar that you can help yourself to, but check out the prices before you buy as they can be expensive. The one thing I don't understand is why they supply imported sweets from Australia in the mini-bar at inflated prices when they could easily put in locally made similar sweets from Beacon... doesn't make sense to me.

The beds are very big - probably kingsize - the mattresses very comfortable and the sheets Egyptian cotton quality - very nice. I slept like a log....

The hotel itself - impressive with good attention to detail. Breakfast is taken in the Crystal Court and I noticed on this visit that they have readjusted the food stations. Previously it was pretty chaotic with masses of people queuing and jostling one another. They have now rearranged some of the stations against the walls out of the way. Definitely an improvement. Also previously there were loads of bees around the sweet stuff, eg sweet fruit, pastries. The fruit is now covered with domed lids. That makes a big difference. I felt on this occasion there were less choices but that could have been because things were against the wall and not obviously seen - in any case, there's no way you could eat your way through what is on offer which caters for all tastes. Chinese, Indian, English breakfasts - they even have oysters.

We sat at the Palace pool on the days we were there - again very nice. The loungers have cushions on them - unlike the other hotels in the resort (why they don't supply lounger cushions to the Cascades, main hotel and Cabanas guests I don't know) as they make a helluva difference. The waitresses come around offering drinks regularly. There are also ladies from the Gary Player Spa who offer foot massages - I think these are free, but if you want something like a back massage, then they will charge. My only gripe about these ladies - and I've experienced this on two occasions - if they are not busy, they tend to sit on the wall at the back and chat. On this occasion, two ladies sat down and started chatting, then another and then another and before long, their chattering actually began to annoy me. I had started to doze and was then woken up by all of this. On another day, we were subjected to a couple of guests who put their Ipod loudly and it was obvious that some of the closer guests were annoyed by this and someone asked management to intervene. However, it appeared that management were a bit reluctant to tell the offending couple to turn their Ipod down as it was done in a sheepish way, the couple turned it back up as soon as management were out of sight. Something like this needs to be addressed - I imagine that most of us are similar and the point of sitting poolside is to relax, read a book or listen to music (with earphones). Anyway, maybe I'm getting old. But other than those two small things, it was almost perfect sitting poolside.

One thing I think would be helpful at the Palace - again a small thing - if they had an ATM situated somewhere - say in the computer/business room? - I found myself needing tip money on a few occasions and it meant that the staff member didn't get anything as i would have had to have travelled down on a shuttle to the entertainment centre which is where the nearest ATM is. Whilst talking about shuttles, I found this facility much more improved than before. The larger buses were frequent and there was another option of a 'private' car (Merc) with a driver to take you where you wanted to go within the resort. Nice touch.

Overall our three days at the Palace was a fantastic stay and one of our party who had never been to South Africa was suitably impressed!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gemini16
There are newer reviews for The Palace of the Lost City

Reviewed 6 January 2012

Great Place. Lovely Golf Course. Be careful it maybe cheaper to arrange some activities like elephant safari, game drives maybe cheaper via the neighbouring game park yourself.

Valley of teh waves are great but the food que during the holiday season is painfully long so eat at the hotel first or pack your own food.

Room Tip: Ask for the Sunscape rates- costs much less
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2012

This place is like an animated fantasy, except you are living it. It doesn't feel real - it's like you're suspended in reality. Did I enjoy it - not really, but I'm certainly glad I experienced it. I won't go into detail with some of our check in challenges - no internet access, television not working etc, but I will share with you that this is the most amazing breakfast I think I've ever seen. You are greeted with a choice of champagne, smoothies or juices and then you can avail yourself of your choice of breakfast from any possible land you could imagine. There's handmade sushi rolls being prepared in front of you, and an array of sushi. Pancakes and waffles accompanied by every conceivable candy. Asian noodles and fish. A great display of fruit. The traditional eggs however you want them. Pastries of every description. If you've got children, leave them here for the morning and they may not have to eat until dinner.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sheofthebroom
Reviewed 29 December 2011

two hours drive from Johannesburg, nestled in the mountains you will find Sun City. There are four hotels, including the marvelous Palace, a casino, two world class golf courses and a game reserve next door.
Plenty of restuarants and live shows, best to go on the weekend. During the week things have quietened down and there is not that much happening.
In summer, you have to go to the water park and try the wave pool.

Room Tip: Stay at the Palace, it is the best of the hotels, more expensive, but the rooms are fantastic.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Great property to put up if you are visiting Sun City, and one of the best breakfasts i have ever had. The Interiors of the hotel are really plush and worth the money you put in. Actually i was there only for 2 nights and felt short of time, since it was so good.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Amitnow
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We stayed at the Palace of the Lost city for 3 nights. Given the amount of money we paid for the hotel (800 USD per night) I was terribly disappointed. Our room was passable at best. The restaurant was beautiful but our dinners tasted like something frozen that was just put in the microwave.

We walk down to enter the valley of the waves. Apparently to enter, you need a card from the hotel. I show her my key card. she states, well I guess i can let you in. What she failed to mention to us is that we would need this special card to get towels, to order a drink or to eat lunch. So we walk all the way down there only to discover this fact when we tried to get towels. so we have to walk all the way back to the hotel to get this card. Again, given the amount of money we paid for this hotel, you think she could have mentioned this to us before letting us in. or even better, they could have mentioned this to us upon checking in!

Additionally, there is a letter in a room, telling us that we should use the safe. If you are robbed, BY ONE OF THEIR EMPLOYEES, the hotel will charge US a 200 rand fee. Does this make any sense? So if we are robbed my one of their employees they are going to fine US! it was the most absurd thing I have ever heard of.

The casino is disappointing as well. We were at the roulette table and we are trying to get someones attention so we can get a drink. There were at least 6 servers all standing in the corner talking amongst themselves. After a good 10 minutes of trying to get someones attention, I finally order a drink. About a half hour later I would like to get another drink. I order another pimms and lemonade, she tells me I cant get that drink. What? I just got the same drink 30 minutes ago. No, she tells me, my supervisor wont sign for that drink for you. This is not an expensive drink by any stretch of the imagination. She goes to check and comes back and again tells me I cant get that drink. But Im drinking one right now!!! she just shruggs her shoulders and walks away. and by the way, there were only 8, yes eight tables. 4 roulette tables and 4 tables for card games.

There are about 10 more stories like this one, but for length of my review, I will stop here. The bottom line, they only do the bare minimum, at best. and saying that is even a stretch. This place is not worth the money and we left disgusted with the hotel and the resort. I will never return to palace of the lost city or sun city. It was nothing but a big waste of time and money. oh, and I forgot to mention, they lost our reservation and it was a 90 minute ordeal to get this sorted out?

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
14  Thank jeanew w
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I sadly spend only one night at this place. It was for my husband's compagny christmas party but I will beg him to bring me back there as soon as possible. The all place is just amazing. It was the best breakfast buffet I had in my entire life. Their afternoon tea is also quite special. The pool is beautiful as well as our room. The service is perfect. It is truly a 5 stars!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
32.4 km away
The Royal Marang Hotel
The Royal Marang Hotel
#1 of 12 in Rustenburg

Been to The Palace of the Lost City? Share your experiences!