“Was that really rib eye?”
Review of The Grill Room

The Grill Room
Ranked #4 of 45 Restaurants in Sun City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Description: Grill Room has a classic New york steakhouse menu served in a traditional setting overlooking the Palace lakes. Known as serving the best steaks at Sun City. Bookings are made at The Palace Concierge desk.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I recently visited Sun City for a congress and as it was my birthday and wedding anniversary weekend my wife accompanied me on the trip.

I made a reservation at the Grill Room at the Palace as we both love steak and it seemed to have a good reputation, pricey of course but I wouldn't say over the top for the location (the food, that is).

I ordered the rib eye as it has become my favourite cut, we have it on the braai at home a couple of times a week and it is always delicious and tender.

I can't say the same for the steak at the Grill Room. It was a big steak and cooked to my liking but it was more like rump than rib eye, cutting took effort and so did chewing.

My wife ordered the tenderloin and she said it was delicious, so at least one of us was happy.

As for the service, we ordered Moet & Chandon champagne as we were celebrating. I said to the waitress "the white one, not the pink one" but she brought the pink one anyway, we had to ask for bread, the restaurant was quiet but the service was generally slow.

Reviewed October 5, 2018 via mobile

Compliments to the chefs at The Grill Room. All of our food was well plated and delicious. Great wine list!

The Palace is a beautiful setting and the restaurant is very neat and stylish. Remember to book!

Sadly we had disappointing service. Not acceptable for a restaurant of this calibre. Our waitress seemeed inexperienced.

We had no napkins and had to enquire twice to receive, a few of our orders were wrong (either left out or the wrong item being served), there were mistakes on our bill and we struggled to receive service with her not being visible to help.

The manager did address a mistaken order and acknowledged us which we appreciate. He was very professional! The waitress seemed to want to shift the blame.

My suggestion would be to provide staff with more training before they start service to avoid them feeling overwhelmed and providing bad service.

Luckily the food made up for the service!

Reviewed October 4, 2018

Sitting outside on the terrace of the Grill room was a very pleasant experience, with excellent service.

Reviewed September 20, 2018 via mobile

The prawn starter & salmon main was yummy, the steak fantastic, service and ambience was really lovely. The portions are huge. A few items on the menu were not available tho. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed September 10, 2018

We found the service staff to be friendly, but slow. Menu had a good variety of items. Food was presented well and tasted good. Pricing was slightly higher than most places, but what we expected.