“Refreshing and original”
Review of Hokey Poke

Hokey Poke
Ranked #201 of 1,202 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 14 September 2017

I have found this restaurant to be quite far removed from what I have come to expect in Cape Town restaurants. The food is quite original - I could not make out whether it was Hawaiian, Japanese or just uber-hipster. It was nevertheless really tasty and presumably also fairly healthy.

Some minor tweaks can be made to improve the atmosphere. I visited during a busy time and there was something verging on an echo as many people were talking. The place is nonetheless worth a visit!

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Love popping into Hokey Poke in Cape Town for a quick lunch. The staff are amazing, friendly and efficient. The food is awesome. I normally order the Number 5 which includes salmon/radishes/avacoda/edamame beans/pickled beetroot and more. So crunchy and fresh. The base I choose for this dish is the Thai style coleslaw with crispy kale. So not only is it delicious but also doesn't have many calories.
Great lunch restaurant. I haven't been in the evening but I am sure it would be super.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

Only noticed this place last week and have since been three times and its becoming a once a week visit. The menu is a little confusing so you have to go and take a leap of faith. I certainly just choose one of the 8 or so options on the big board and had a delicious salmon dish with beans and lots of other healthy seeming bits, walnuts if I remeber right and a beef rice dish with pistachio nuts, cucumber and other healthy bits - both seemed very healthy with really nice raw ingredients hence their appeal. The dishes do seem quite pricey mostly being 110 to 140 rand and think in time they may need to have some cheaper options available. But for me, the food is very tasty and hence its now a regular. The owner a young girl was sitting next to me one time and explained she had imported the idea from Singapore where her brother works. She might be wrong on this as i think its the Aussies who fashioned Poke bars but dont want to split hairs - its a good addition to the CBD and different.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

My first experience with Poke was absolutely delicious. I had heard a lot about it and was worried the reality would not match the hype but I loved every bite. The restaurant is unassuming, lighthearted and speedy. Drooling just writing this review and I cannot wait to go back!

Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

The ingredients are super fresh and each signature dish is specifically put together to deliver maximum flavour. Some may complain that the dishes can be on the small side for the price you are paying, but it's definitely worth it to try at least once. I loved the #5 with ponzu-marinated salmon, radish, avo, edamame beans and sesame seeds.