I spent a total of four nights at the Taj in February and despite earlier hesitation as to whether staying in the CBD was a great idea, I decided to have a rather optimistic approach. As I had arrived during the running up to the opening of Parliament, there was quite a bit of activity around the hotel.
Taj is a well reputed brand, and it delivered all the best of service one could imagine at their Cape Town establishment. Arrive either by a stunning Jaguar XJ or hired car (free valet and parking) all you will be whisked away promptly to the intimate reception area. Here you are met by well-humored and genuinely friendly members of staff.
The hotel offered a complimentary upgrade to a one bedroom suite. The suite is breath-taxingly gorgeous! It is massive, surely surpassing 100 square meters. The suite consists of a dining area, a very comfortable seating area in front of the bed, the incredibly comfortable king size bed, many stand alone, mirrored closets as well as the marble-clad bathrooms. The most stunning aspect of the suite is the glassed balcony overlooking the gorgeous St George's Mall. The atmosphere is relaxing. As I have been multiple times to Cape Town, I chose to just relax in the confines of the comfortable suite.
The location is ideal for business travel, however if you are a leisure traveler this should not mean that the Taj should not be considered. The V&A Waterfront is a mere 15 minutes away, the famous Long Street is not even a 3 minute stroll away- hosting a variety of amazing restaurants and nightlife.
The breakfast was somewhat of a disappointment in regard to variety. The Bombay Brasserie restaurant on the contrary, was superb.
The Taj is a beautiful and intimate establishment in the heart of one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I would like to extend my thanks especially to the housekeeping team who had brought me a new pillow off of the menu each night as well as for the turn down services and treats. I was made to feel at home, easily!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Taj Cape Town welcomes guests to the vibrant heart of the one of the world's most scenic and desirable cities, Cape Town. The hotel is a combination of rich history and elegant contemporary architectures. Originally home of the South African Reserve Bank and Temple Chambers and later the Board of Executors (BOE), it successfully combines the heritage of the old with the luxury of the new - a 100 years in history! This luxury hotel is perfectly located in the centre of historic Cape Town at the entrance of the famous pedestrian precinct, St George's Mall. It's prime location ensures a blend of fascinating history, exotic culture, soulful art, lively entertainment and delectable cuisine. - Within walking distance to most tourist attractions, monuments, museums, shopping, restaurants, markets and nightlife. Adding to this grand yet welcoming atmosphere are the two dining experiences, the Indian fine dine specialty restaurant, Bombay Brasserie and Mint, a relaxed all-day dining restaurant. Both are warm and welcoming and serve outstanding cuisine. Alongside this you'll find wonderful Champagne and tapas bar known as The Twankey Bar which is exceedingly popular with both locals and guests alike. Rooms are located in both the heritage buildings and the contemporary tower wing, but all continue to seamlessly merge history and modernity. Luxury Rooms have spectacular city or breathtaking mountain views overlooking the famous Table Mountain and the Taj Club Rooms and suites offer all the benefits of the executive Club Lounge including butler service, evening canapes, cocktails and private breakfast. One and Two Bedroom Suites are also available, perfect for the discerning traveller or for families. The award winning Jiva Grande Spa is one of its kind in Africa with unique and authentic wellness treatments and experiences. Also on offer is complimentary use of all wet areas, heated pool, and a high tech gymnasium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Travelocity.ca, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Taj Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- Taj Cape Town South Africa