See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed January 9, 2015

I have stayed at a few backpackers in Cape Town and Amber Tree definitely has the most to offer. It is close to everything, has a great view, is clean, awesome staff, great value and I can go on. I was traveling with my parents and wanted them to experience backpackers. After reading the reviews, I figured Amber Tree was the best bet and they did not upset. I would definitely return.

Date of stay: November 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2015 via mobile

Very nice. Very helpful people work there. Very nice layout. Has Wifi. Great location. I would like to go back there and I would recommend it to anyone. It had a very nice garden. I felt I could spend my whole time just relaxing there.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed January 2, 2015

I stayed first the first time in cape town and was really impressed by the amber tree lodge and how the staff is doing their business. Just a perfect place to stay, located near the table mountain and all other great things of mother city. The facilities are on a very high standard, never seen such a good looking and lovely designed hostel. Don't wait, just book your stay ! :-)

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2015

It's very easy to see why Amber Tree Lodge is rated so highly. The owner was a ultra friendly and very helpful. I've stayed in dorm beds in hostels all over the world but I can't recall beds that were as comfortable as Amber Tree Lodge. The free breakfast, coffee/ tea, satellite TV, and the free computer were all a nice touch. The outside areas upstairs and in the garden are really quite lovely. If that wasn't enough, there are a number of good bars, cafes, and restaurants within close proximity. Amazing!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2014

We love it here! The rooms are lovely and comfortable, there is a beautiful large living room decorated traditional African style and a TV with lots of DVDs you can watch. The tranquil courtyard (which our twin room opened onto) is gorgeous with 2 picnic tables you can eat at shaded by large trees and surrounded by a variety of plants and flowers. The kitchen is homely and very clean with excellent coffee and cereal, toast and spreads like peanut butter and jam available for breakfast. We stayed on Christmas day and they put out mince pies and berry muffins with the breakfast! Lovely! Lots of herbs and spices in the kitchen too for your cooking. There is free wifi available with fast internet and a computer if you don't have a laptop. Lots of reading material too (books or magazines or brochures). Chess and Jenga as well. Upstairs there is a FANTASTIC view of Table Mountain from the balcony which you can admire either in the hammock or eating your meals at the picnic table. It is breath-taking. The staff are very friendly and welcoming, and Stephen gave us a map and advice on where we can go in the city (he recommended the City Sightseeing bus tour, which we took and now highly recommend to others as well!). The lodge is situated next to the lively Long Street full of bars restaurants and shops, and there are food shops about a minute's walk away. We wish we were staying longer, but we will definitely be back!

Room tip: The twin room with courtyard view is nice and quiet, opens onto the tranquil courtyard and the living room is just on the other side. It is en suite as well - nice clean bathroom with shower.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple