“Fabulous Experience, with Amazing views”

The Roundhouse Restaurant
Ranked #81 of 1,253 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Steeped in over 300 years of history, the former guard house, tea room, hotel and the hunting lodge of Lord Charles Somerset has been elegantly restored with the charm and sophistication of the Grand Old Cape. The style of cuisine at The Roundhouse is uncomplicated, contemporary French, inspired by seasonal ingredients and paired with one of the finest boutique wine collections in South Africa.
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Appreciating the mixed recent reviews, and being a harsh critic, I have to say that I had the most fabulous experience at the Round House last week. A tip: visit Signal Hill on your way here, come to Round House before or as the sun sets, sit outside overlooking unbelievable view of the coastline, lovely garden with wondering rooster and following chooks, little black piglet wondering around, and sit in the sundeck chair, have your bubbly and nibble on some fab pre-dinner mini-tapas. Superb!

As to the food and service itself, service was friendly, attentive but not intrusive. We opted for the 4-course menu, and accompanying premium wines selection, both rather excellent. My friend and I both opted for the entree of foie gras which was excellently executed, unsual but inspirational, with confit of duck incorporated into the top quality foie gras and served with lovely caramelised onion condiments and puree, and the freshly baked on premises piece of brioche. Absolutely perfect and well presented. The second course for me was lovely smoked tomato and langostine risotto, an explosion of flavours, unusual smokiness and jus, with sweet rich flesh of the mozambique "mini-lobsters", just superb. My friend's white fish course was nice but not extraordinary. My main of ginea fowl breast was perfection, and my friend's pork-belly main was similarly good. I opted for a selection of South African cheeses (who knew?!) which were lovely, and my friend's souffle was truly light airy and super tasty! Overall, a fabulous experience made even more special by fab location and views.

1  Thank l-globetrotter

Reviewed February 5, 2011

My wife and I really enjoyed the food here; we thought it was very high class. The service was also attentive. I recommend the hazelnut soufflé which was out of this world.

The only issue we had was that we couldn’t go outside due to the high wind. The view is good, but in Cape Town you tend to get spoiled with all the fantastic views.

Highly recommended!

Reviewed January 26, 2011

A well-run restaurant, with exciting food and great service. We had the five-course menu with wine pairing and (yes, I know, I'm sad), I took pictures of nearly every course. The Chef's classical training, eye for colour and texture, as well as his knowledge of flavour pairing and South African local delicacies, come through in every course. The wine matches were well thought out and interesting but I wish we'd been given a copy of the menu with the names of the wines at the end of the evening, as I'd have loved to be able to track them down once back home.

1  Thank caratania
Reviewed January 22, 2011

We visited this restaurant in November 2009 and were highly impressed with the food, wine and service. We made a highly anticipated return in January 2011 and were left hugely disappointed. We made our reservation several months before and due to change of employment, informed the restaurant of change of contact details. On arrival, we were told that our reservation had been cancelled due to not being able to contact us. It appeared that despite noting the change of email address, they hadn't updated their system.
After strained discussions and an indifferent half-hearted apology, they created a table for us (if we were out before a certain time) and the disappointment continued. The food was average with a lack of imagination and flavours and the service was almost non existent. Finally we were amazed that a so called "top restaurant" persistently served us with white wine at room temperature.
We understand that experiences can vary significantly and it appears we caught them on a bad day. There are many superior restaurants in the Camps Bay area and we won't be returning.

Reviewed January 12, 2011

The Roundhouse Restaurant is a great restaurant. It seems very out of the way (at least to us), but we luckily had a driver take us there, and he found it no problem. We both had the tasting menu and thought the food was excellent. I had the 5-course tasting menu, and my mother had the 4-course menu. The desserts were fantastic. The portions are generous, but not huge. You will not leave hungry by any means. I also thought the dishes were beautifully presented and spaced appropriately far enough apart to keep an enjoyable pace of dining.

The service was impeccable, if not a bit fussy. It did not make us feel uncomfortable; it was just more formal than most Cape Town dining options. That is not a bad thing; they clearly had all been trained quite well in the French-style of entertaining and dining. Also, I do not mean to imply that there was any aloofness or coldness to the service. In fact, they were quite warm and friendly; just formal. They also were very kind to arrange to call our driver to return and pick us up at the appropriate time of the meal, so that when we were done, we did not have to stand around and wait; he was already there.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant if you have a spare night in Cape Town. My only complaint is that it is situated in such a picturesque location, but at night, you cannot really enjoy that view due to the darkness. Maybe a lunch reservation would be in order if you are looking for dining with a view. Also, the chairs could be a bit more comfortable (although they suit the decor quite well).