“Excellence In Cape Town!”
Review of 22 On Rose

22 On Rose
Ranked #105 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 November 2014

My wife and I stayed here recently on vacation to South Africa. Upon arrival we were greeted with a clean, neat and well appointed efficiency accommodation. This location is in the Bo Kaap area and is convenient to downtown and the magnificent waterfront area. This location is very secure but take normal precautions for your personal safety and security while walking around. Thanks to the staff and management for a great visit to Cape Town!

Room Tip: The owner has at least three locations within a few blocks. We used two of them and were well please...
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Camillelachance, Manager at 22 On Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2014

Thank you so much for your positive review of our guesthouse. We are always happy to hear our guests have enjoyed their stay with us.

Reviewed 22 October 2014

First the "cons": the check-in process was painful. I stood outside of Rose Lodge for 10 minutes ringing the bell before knocking on the window. I asked the staff why they didn't answer the bell and they concluded that I didn't ring it. I think I know how to press a button. Aside from that, the wi-fi did not work at all in the room, only in the common area. And the TV only gets about five channels.

Now the "pros": I really liked the room itself (#2, with the balcony), and thought it was a great value compared to other accommodations in the area. It was clean, secure, and comfortable. There is access to a kitchen with self-serve breakfast (cereal, muffins, yogurt, fruit, eggs), which I was fine with. Street parking in front of the building was easy to find, and there is an attended who watches the cars on the street from 7 PM to 7 AM. It's within walking distance to several restaurants, bars, and shops.

Overall I would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Camillelachance, Manager at 22 On Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2014

Firstly let me apologize if your check-in did not go as smoothly as it should have. This is certainly not a regular occurrence at our B&B and as it was not brought to my attention at the time I do not know exactly what happened. I'm sure you know how to ring a bell and my staff meant no offense I'm sure when they asked you if you had rung the bell.

Unfortunately on some of the portals that we are on we have no control over the text or the description of the exact facilities available at our B&B. Perhaps you made your booking on one of them. On OUR website it is made very clear that there is NO satellite TV and that wifi is available in the communal area. Some people, however, can access it in their room. I am not an expert on these matters and have yet to find out the reason why. I once again apologize if this was of great inconvenience to you. This is Africa and internet here is not as good, fast or reliable as in other parts of the world yet. Hopefully that will change.

We thank you for recommending us in spite of our shortcomings.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Very disappointing choice because of these reasons:
a) the whole house feels claustrophobic and there is practically no natural light (I had booked a different room that I was given)
b) self service breakfast is very poor, items are of discount store quality
c) never met the famed owner Bruce whom I could contact via email I was told!!!
d) the airport transfer I booked thru them arrived half an hour late
I definitely recommend booking ROSE LODGE which looked so much nicer (full of light and airy).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Camillelachance, Manager at 22 On Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

We are very sorry you were not happy with your accommodation. I think you are expressing your own personal feelings as no one has ever found our guesthouse claustrophobic. Our breakfast buffet is certainly not of discount quality but it is self-serve which most guests don't mind. Bruce, the famed owner, is now semi-retired because of his age (64) and he has wonderful staff who do most everything for him while he does the admin. I can only apologize if the transfer arranged by me was not on time. I use a local taxi company which is usually very punctual. Thank you for recommending ROSE LODGE. Perhaps you will come back again and stay there.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

22 on rose is part of the Rose Lodge, run by Bruce and his staff. Bruce was incredibly helpful when we couldn't find our driver upon arrival at the airport and staff-member Andrew did an incredible job making us feel welcome and providing all the needed info to make our stay successful. Rooms are ok-sized, beds comfortable and oh how happy i was with the water pressure! (we don't get to have showers like that in rwanda ;) ) Breakfast is prepared in the small kitchen/communal area and was excellent. My friend took the upstairs room, which turned out to have an amazing rooftop with beautiful views attached to it! (see picture) One night we just ate cheese and had great wine up there. Bruce and his team also linked us to a great car rental and provided detailed maps of the neighborhood! We could easily and safely walk towards long street and green square market during the day (max 10 min) and there are some great restaurants nearby. Will come back here for sure next time I visit Cape Town!

Room Tip: The upstairs room (forgot the number) is spacious and has the rooftop connected to it!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our guesthouse. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us :)

Reviewed 21 October 2013

If you are looking for a good place to stay in the Bo-Kaap, 22 On Rose would be a good option; The room in which I stayed for the night had a large outside deck, on two different levels, complete with lounge chairs - A great way to watch the city come to life (or go to sleep!). You will be provided with the makings for your breakfast every morning, which you can then assemble to your preference. The rooms were clean, and well furnished.

All in all, I found it to be a great place, safe, and very close to Long Street, Green market square, and more or less most of the sight-seeing stops in the City. The staff is helpful, friendly, and really know the do's and don'ts of Cape Town, so it's well worth asking!

If you are looking to explore Cape Town, and experience the culturally rich Bo-Kaap, 22 On Rose is well worth considering; A good balance of value and comfort.

Room Tip: The upstairs room is more isolated, plus has a big rooftop deck, while the lower rooms have doors le...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Camillelachance, Manager at 22 On Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for your positive review.
Regards,

Reviewed 4 April 2013

We chose 22 on Rose due to it's close proximity to the Waterfront (about 20 minute walk). However, be aware that Rose Street is in a less afluent area of Cape Town and therefore expect unemployed people loitering or just a little further on homeless people setting up camp.

It's also in a muslim area so at 5.30am the local Iman calls locals to prayer. it only lasts 10 minutes but it's enough to disturb your sleep.

On the positive side, the accommodation is comfortable and clean. If you like the flexibility of preparing your own breakfast at a time that suits you, Rose on 22 offers that. There is a small basic kitchen so you could choose to prepare your own dinner or order a take-away if you decide on having a 'night in'.

It is also secure which was important for me as I was visiting to ride Cape Argus and needed somewhere secure to store my bike.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We have just returned from a full week's holiday in Cape Town, and stayed at 22 on Rose. It's always an interesting experience when trying to choose from the places on offer - will it live up to expectations, will it be in a good location, will the other guests be interesting? In the end you just try to determine if it is the right place for you. AND IT WAS. I cannot imagine choosing a better place to stay (though another time I would try for one of the 2 other rooms in this B&B) - number one is larger and the one upstairs (no. 3) has a balcony. However, the room was absolutely fine. Just off the bedroom is a communal dining room where you have breakfast (help yourself to the food from the fridge and cereals etc), and if you want, you can have dinner there as well - as it has a fridge and microwave - so is well set up for those who don't want to eat out every night. It is incredibly well located - a short walk to the centre of the city and to the V&A Waterfront - nothing is too far away. We were particularly delighted to make the acquaintance of other guests and even went out for dinner with our new friends on the last night. The manager is ever helpful with anything needed - printing our airline tickets and booking an early morning taxi. - thanks Bruce. It was lovely to be staying in a small house rather than an impersonal large hotel. I thoroughly recommend it for self-sufficient people who are looking for something a little different.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple