“Excellent location and price, plus free breakfast!”
Review of 22 On Rose

22 On Rose
Ranked #122 of 156 Cape Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 November 2015

This place actually has three buildings; I stayed at the Rose Lodge at 28 Rose Street. There were two rooms upstairs and another one off the tiny courtyard. Downstairs is a small kitchen (where breakfast is made for you!) and a dining room - which is also the only reliable place you can get WiFi. My room was small, but comfortable and had a full bath with a nice shower. No toiletries are provided, but they change the towels daily. The proprietor, Bruce, was very helpful in arranging transportation to and from the airport.

The place is only staffed during certain hours, so you need to let them know when you are arriving. It is very safe. My only negative comment is that there is really no "lounge" or sitting area...you can sit in the dining room but this room is used by the staff during the day for ironing and other chores, so it is not very relaxing. In addition, the noise carries up the stairs, so if you try to have a rest in the afternoon, it is not very quiet.

However, the location and price cannot be beat and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
Camillelachance, Manager at 22 On Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our guesthouse.
Best regards,
Bruce & his team

Reviewed 1 December 2014

I had an ok stay here. I was really insistent on staying here due to the location despite my friend's reluctance. I will say that the location here is outstanding and is walkable from a lot of good points throughout Cape Town's City Center.

PROS:
-Great and convenient location. It was in Bo Kaap within walking distance of Cape Town's greatest landmarks. It was also really safe in this area and quite secure. Walking around was safe and easy to navigate around.
-Breakfast was good. They provided eggs, brown bread, muffins, yogurt, juice, fruit, and coffee tea that you can eat/make at your leisure. This was very convenient considering my mornings were very early and I was able to eat a solid breakfast before my daily excursions.
-Great price
-They have hot water and no troubles with the shower at all
-New towels daily

CONS:
-I felt the service was a bit lacking. I was not warmly greeted by staff and everything felt like a business transaction rather than an inviting stay.
-In a perfect world, quiet hours would be observed. however, on my last night here you could literally hear everything from the kitchen as the other guests were not respecting the quiet hours. This was in the middle of the night and caused a sleepless night for me. The walls here are thin here, so hopefully your neighbors can respect quiet hours when you're here.
-A little TOO secure. It took 3 keys to get into your room, and the keys are very old-fashioned so the first couple of times it took 10 minutes to get into the building, let alone your room. The safe was ANOTHER key.
--Wi-fi was lacking or non-existent. The service was poor.

Overall, a pretty average stay. I would stay here again if I was alone but I'm not sure if I would recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Choose a room not close to the kitchen to avoid hearing all the noise from disrespectful guests.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
Camillelachance, Manager at 22 On Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2014

Thank you for taking time to review our guesthouse. You have given us food for thought which is always helpful.
Edward, Daniel & Bruce

Reviewed 14 November 2014

My wife and I stayed here recently on vacation to South Africa. Upon arrival we were greeted with a clean, neat and well appointed efficiency accommodation. This location is in the Bo Kaap area and is convenient to downtown and the magnificent waterfront area. This location is very secure but take normal precautions for your personal safety and security while walking around. Thanks to the staff and management for a great visit to Cape Town!

Room Tip: The owner has at least three locations within a few blocks. We used two of them and were well please...
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your positive review of our guesthouse. We are always happy to hear our guests have enjoyed their stay with us.

Reviewed 22 October 2014

First the "cons": the check-in process was painful. I stood outside of Rose Lodge for 10 minutes ringing the bell before knocking on the window. I asked the staff why they didn't answer the bell and they concluded that I didn't ring it. I think I know how to press a button. Aside from that, the wi-fi did not work at all in the room, only in the common area. And the TV only gets about five channels.

Now the "pros": I really liked the room itself (#2, with the balcony), and thought it was a great value compared to other accommodations in the area. It was clean, secure, and comfortable. There is access to a kitchen with self-serve breakfast (cereal, muffins, yogurt, fruit, eggs), which I was fine with. Street parking in front of the building was easy to find, and there is an attended who watches the cars on the street from 7 PM to 7 AM. It's within walking distance to several restaurants, bars, and shops.

Overall I would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Camillelachance, Manager at 22 On Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2014

Firstly let me apologize if your check-in did not go as smoothly as it should have. This is certainly not a regular occurrence at our B&B and as it was not brought to my attention at the time I do not know exactly what happened. I'm sure you know how to ring a bell and my staff meant no offense I'm sure when they asked you if you had rung the bell.

Unfortunately on some of the portals that we are on we have no control over the text or the description of the exact facilities available at our B&B. Perhaps you made your booking on one of them. On OUR website it is made very clear that there is NO satellite TV and that wifi is available in the communal area. Some people, however, can access it in their room. I am not an expert on these matters and have yet to find out the reason why. I once again apologize if this was of great inconvenience to you. This is Africa and internet here is not as good, fast or reliable as in other parts of the world yet. Hopefully that will change.

We thank you for recommending us in spite of our shortcomings.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Very disappointing choice because of these reasons:
a) the whole house feels claustrophobic and there is practically no natural light (I had booked a different room that I was given)
b) self service breakfast is very poor, items are of discount store quality
c) never met the famed owner Bruce whom I could contact via email I was told!!!
d) the airport transfer I booked thru them arrived half an hour late
I definitely recommend booking ROSE LODGE which looked so much nicer (full of light and airy).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Camillelachance, Manager at 22 On Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

We are very sorry you were not happy with your accommodation. I think you are expressing your own personal feelings as no one has ever found our guesthouse claustrophobic. Our breakfast buffet is certainly not of discount quality but it is self-serve which most guests don't mind. Bruce, the famed owner, is now semi-retired because of his age (64) and he has wonderful staff who do most everything for him while he does the admin. I can only apologize if the transfer arranged by me was not on time. I use a local taxi company which is usually very punctual. Thank you for recommending ROSE LODGE. Perhaps you will come back again and stay there.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

22 on rose is part of the Rose Lodge, run by Bruce and his staff. Bruce was incredibly helpful when we couldn't find our driver upon arrival at the airport and staff-member Andrew did an incredible job making us feel welcome and providing all the needed info to make our stay successful. Rooms are ok-sized, beds comfortable and oh how happy i was with the water pressure! (we don't get to have showers like that in rwanda ;) ) Breakfast is prepared in the small kitchen/communal area and was excellent. My friend took the upstairs room, which turned out to have an amazing rooftop with beautiful views attached to it! (see picture) One night we just ate cheese and had great wine up there. Bruce and his team also linked us to a great car rental and provided detailed maps of the neighborhood! We could easily and safely walk towards long street and green square market during the day (max 10 min) and there are some great restaurants nearby. Will come back here for sure next time I visit Cape Town!

Room Tip: The upstairs room (forgot the number) is spacious and has the rooftop connected to it!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our guesthouse. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us :)

Reviewed 21 October 2013

If you are looking for a good place to stay in the Bo-Kaap, 22 On Rose would be a good option; The room in which I stayed for the night had a large outside deck, on two different levels, complete with lounge chairs - A great way to watch the city come to life (or go to sleep!). You will be provided with the makings for your breakfast every morning, which you can then assemble to your preference. The rooms were clean, and well furnished.

All in all, I found it to be a great place, safe, and very close to Long Street, Green market square, and more or less most of the sight-seeing stops in the City. The staff is helpful, friendly, and really know the do's and don'ts of Cape Town, so it's well worth asking!

If you are looking to explore Cape Town, and experience the culturally rich Bo-Kaap, 22 On Rose is well worth considering; A good balance of value and comfort.

Room Tip: The upstairs room is more isolated, plus has a big rooftop deck, while the lower rooms have doors le...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Camillelachance, Manager at 22 On Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for your positive review.
Regards,