“Extremely Disappointing”

Ranked #14 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Pretoria, South Africa
“Extremely Disappointing”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I booked a mountain-facing room at the V&A Hotel for seven nights. Upon my arrival, I was informed that I had been “upgraded” to their five-star property, the Queen Victoria. I am astonished that anyone would call the Queen Victoria a five-star, since it has none of the amenities usually associated with this designation.

In the hotel’s favor, it should be acknowledged that the location is excellent and that the room offered a lovely view of the Waterfront area and Table Mountain. Unfortunately, that’s not enough for a frequent business traveler. The hotel’s shortcomings far outnumber its virtues.

The hotel has no fitness center on site. They do, however, have an agreement with a nearby hotel which allows Queen Victoria guests to use this other hotel’s fitness center. This is an inconvenience, made all the more inconvenient by the fact that the guest’s room key will not provide access to this fitness center – one must be accompanied by one of the Queen Victoria staff members.

There is also no business center on site, but the hotel has an agreement with a nearby hotel. Again, a significant inconvenience.

The breakfast at the Queen Victoria was disappointing, particularly in light of the fact that colleagues had recommended the outstanding breakfast buffet at the V&A. I ordered a tomato, ham, and cheese omelet, but the chef forgot to include the cheese. He sent the omelet out accompanied by a bowl of cold shredded cheese on the side.

Most importantly, the hotel is poorly maintained. On my first morning, none of the lights in my room were working except the light in the closet. I called the front desk for assistance, but they were unable to resolve the problem. I had to dress for work by the dim light emanating from the closet.

Although I was scheduled to stay for seven nights, I fled this hotel after only one night.

I do not appreciate the V&A’s efforts to move customers to this inferior property, especially under the guise of an upgrade. I will not return to either the V&A or the Queen Victoria.

4 Thank DivaSteve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I just completed a seven night stay at the Queen Victoria. It was such a wonderful hotel experience, I really did not want to leave. I travelled to Cape Town from New York to visit my daughter, who also stayed with me at the hotel. Everyone at the Queen Victoria, including the hotel manager, the front desk staff, the restaurant staff, and the housekeepers, made us both feel at home, bending over backwards to make sure our visit was perfect.

Upon arrival, the manager gratuitously upgraded our room to a bright and beautiful corner room. The bathroom was large, modern and immaculate, with a separate oversized shower, tub, double sink and separate room for the commode. The bedroom linens and pillows were so comfortable (prior to arrival, the concierge emailed me a preference form to ask what type of pillows I liked and to see if they could stock our room with additional amenities, such as extra hangers or fresh fruit, for example). The room also included bathrobes and slippers, a couch and seating area. Each evening, the housekeeping staff provided turn-down service.

The front desk staff was happy to arrange (and occasionally rearrange) our dinner reservations each night, advance us cash on account so we did not have to go to foreign ATM machines, arrange for taxis, provide free internet and use of their computer printer. On one occasion when the hotel internet was not working efficiently, they even let my daughter work on one of their own hard-wired hotel staff computers.

Next door to the Queen Victoria, guests have access to an intimate pool setting at the sister-hotel, The Dock House. In addition, hotel guests also have access to the next door spa, which includes gym facilities.

We did not eat dinner at the hotel restaurant, but our room rate included a wonderful breakfast each morning. We were able to choose from a cold buffet (fresh fruit, cheese, meats, cereals, yogurts) or a hot meal from the breakfast menu. The wait staff was very friendly and professional. The hotel also has an inviting bar where guests congregate in the afternoon and evening. The bartender was also so friendly.

All in all, this 35 room boutique hotel really caters to its guests. Its decor is sleek and modern, yet the feel is intimate, warm and inviting. Special thanks to Bobby, Tamryn, Ricardo and the lovely morning hostess from the restaurant (I am sorry, but I do not remember your name) I will definitely return to the Queen Victoria Hotel the next time I travel to Cape Town!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the second floor. Back corner room is bright and sunny.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My partner and I stayed 3nights and 2 days, it was honestly the worst experience ever. The room we stayed in was 1205 on the 16/03/2012 was infested wit mites and as result we contracted several bites wounds on our bodies. The staff and management provided poor service and support. They offerred no reassurance or apathy for the situation merely transferring us to another room (1209). Not to mention the undue anxiety that we felt. We complained several times to staff and management only to receive a call 3days after our initial complaint. This is an embarrassment as Cape town is an international tourist destination. What was suppose to be a relaxing weekend turned out to be a nightmare.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ilene s
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed for 4 nights at Queen Victoria. When writing this review, I'm actually still on the hotel sitting in the dock house near by the hotel, which is great place to chill out and enjoy the sun. The rooms are great and the service is amazing. The restaurant staff is really professionel and the food is without a doubt the best we had on our trip. Try the salmon as starters and beef fillet as main course - you won't be disappointed! Would stay here again when coming back!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Travelled to Cape Town for the first time on business and although my schedule was very busy and left little room for relax I had the best time staying at the Queen Victoria, the location is perfect, central yet quiet, with all the amenties you can wish for around the corner or at the hotel, such as great cuisine at the restaurants, the spa and the concierge services. Rooms are immaculately clean, great design, the staff is lovely yet professional, a special thanks to Ricardo in reception for helping us with our requests and always having a smile. I would definetely return and would be nice to try the Dock House, the hotel hotel of the group. Would also love to take advantage of the relaxing pool area, this time i just did not get a chance. Loved breakfast , such quality fresh products madeit the highlight of my busy day! Thanks ot everyoen at the Queen Victoria to make me feel at home, a bit on holiday and relax although I was on business, Claudia (Liverpool UK)

Reviewed 29 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at the QV hotel for a week in mid Feb. We loved it here!

Our room (we were lucky enough to be given an upgrade) was extremely well appointed & had a fabulous view of Table Mountain. The staff were v friendly and super efficient. Breakfast was delicious and we took advantage of the facilities at the other Newmark hotels. In particular the gym & spa at the Dock House next door & the pool at the Ambassador hotel a 10 min cab ride away (c. ZAR 60) in Bantry Bay.

QV is also perfectly located & an excellent base for tours. Brilliant to be right by the V&A waterfront with so many great restaurants (Willoughby's is a must!) & shops.

Can't recommend the QV enough & will definitely return if we're ever back in CT.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Holiday_hobos
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2012

we had never been to Cape Town and picked the hotel mainly because it was available. We struck gold, the room was fantastic witha view of the V&A waterfront. The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The pool area is a delightful retreat and you are 5 mins from the waterfront and all the restaurants.We can't wait to return and will stay here again

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple