Review Highlights
African Adventure

Mandy Maggen did a great job as our agent. We had a wonderful vacation with many unforgettable... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
985curtv
via mobile
Trip of a lifetime

Our family of eleven (grandparents, children and grandchildren) just returned from a safari in... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
euniced582

Recommended experiences in and around Cape Town Central
from US$39.02
from US$146.69
from US$146.69
from US$31.98
More Info
All reviews cheryl gould victoria falls jackalberry lodge leopard tours apostles hotel game drives tanzania safari south africa zambezi river costco travel serena hotels hot air balloon travel agent thornybush reserve ngorongoro crater animal behavior african adventure
Selected filters
Reviewed July 8, 2015

Had the most amazing safari trip to Kenya!!!! From the very beginning of our trip planning to our return flight home, Lion World was amazing!! Laurandie at Lion World was always in contact with us to make sure everything went smoothly. There were, of course, some delays with air travel and Lion World was easy to contact and they made all the changes to our plans as needed. I have travelled extensively and last year I planned a month long European trip for my family so I know how much work and time it takes to organize a trip such as this. For the first time, I was able to relax and enjoy the trip without worrying about travel plans because I knew I was in good hands! The accommodations were top notch and the guides provided by Lion World were informative, friendly and professional. EVERYTHING provided and recommended by Laurandie was first class!!!!! This was our first trip to Africa and I am SO glad it was with Lion World.

Date of experience: June 2015
1  Thank adg62015
Reviewed June 30, 2015

My husband and idea booked a trip with Lion World Travel for 5 days in Cape Town and 4 on safari to Kruger National Park and Sabi Sands and have only praise for the trip and the service provided. This is the first time we have ever used a travel agency because we prefer following our own itinerary. However, never having been to South Africa, we were not as comfortable with the idea of winging it as we have been through Europe and the British Isles However, this trip had all of the benefits of an experienced travel agent helping with the irritating details, but none of the downsides associated with a canned tour. Our agent Mary Ellen helped us book the day trips we wanted and even helped us secure tickets for a concert at the botanical gardens that we researched on our own. The separate day trips to the vineyards and to the Cape of Good Hope (African penguins!) were well worth the time. The accommodations at Table Bay Hotel in Capetown and then at the River and Tinga Lodges while on safari were outstanding. The wildlife spotted on game drives while on safari were unlike anything we have ever experienced. Did I mention the night spent in Kingston Treehouse in Kruger Park? Do not hesitate to go!

Date of experience: February 2015
7  Thank Scoutrules
Reviewed June 18, 2015

We normally book vacations on our own, and have very high standards for organized trips/travel agents when we use them. Lion World exceeded our expectations. We took the Best of South Africa trip with Victoria Falls in Luxury added on at the end. I highly recommend this combination (and in the same order - Cape Town, Kruger, Vic Falls).

Somehow, Lion World is able to provide 5 & 4 star accommodations (I use that order because they were mainly 5 star) with great activities and extras at an excellent price. Every part of the trip was flawless - every transfer was handled by professionals who knew exactly what to do and were always early, waiting for us.

The package included a full day Western Cape tour out of Capetown. There were only 6 of us on the tour and guide was incredible. He had a broad knowledge of the history of South Africa as well as nature and animals. A helicopter ride over the bay was also included - really nice helicopter with leather seats that picked us up at the hotel.

Their choice of hotels (such as the 12 Apostles and Michelangelo) are flawless. Kapama Southern Camp in the Kruger area provided high end accommodations, with amazing safari animal drives and fabulous food. Victoria Falls is huge and beautiful. You get your own cabin on the river, surrounded by animals at the River Lodge. We were picked up in a van at the airport and brought to a small private boat that took us to the lodge.

Throughout the process, Laurandie, our Lion World agent was helpful and advised us well. She took care of restaurant reservations and made great suggestions, based on the time she spent getting to know us and our expectations.

I can't speak highly enough about the services provided and quality of the vacation that Lion World delivered. Through and because of them, we truly had the trip of a lifetime.

5  Thank nkdp
Reviewed June 7, 2015

I had gone to Kenya in October 2014 with Lion World and thought that was an incredible trip - but my trip to Tanzania in May 2015 was even better!!! Truly if you can only afford one safari make it Tanzania through Lion World and Leopard Tours - and ask that Ibrahim A. Gege be your guide. The Lion World trip was five star at 3 star prices. Since my friends and I (there were two couples) are older we required aisle seats going and coming, plus rooms close to the main lodges plus 24 hour access to electricity. Laurandie at Lion World made all the arrangements as we requested. I had been in Kenya so I had something with which to compare Tanzania - the people, the landscape and the number/type of animals. I found the people of Tanzania to be warm and outgoing with a wonderful sense of humor. The landscape of Tanzania is extremely diverse. In hours you can go from mountains and woodlands to savannahs, to lakes and marshes. I was in Kenya during the dry season so visually the landscape was pretty bare and somewhat boring. Tanzania at the end of the rainy season was so incredibly lush and green - fields of flowers everywhere. And I did not see a single mosquito or tsetse fly and there was only one day when it really rained late in the afternoon and through the night - so my fears about going during the "rainy season" proved totally unfounded. But the really big difference between Kenya and Tanzania is the sheer number of animals- thousands - I do mean thousands - of wildebeest, zebras, buffaloes and impalas in Tanzania. Giraffes and elephants were easily found in large groups everywhere. PLUS WE SAW LIONS IN TREES, LIONS ON ROCKS, LIONS ON THE ROAD, LIONS IN THE GRASS. We also saw a leopard and a very rare caracal. All of the cats were extremely active, not just hiding or laying around sleeping. I have incredible video of hyenas chasing a herd of elephants through the marsh, a zebra rolling in the dirt, wildebeest mating, monkeys - well monkeys being monkeys. Yes, we saw several black rhino and lots of hippos really up close and personal outside the water. And there are the most amazing birds in Tanzania. The Serena hotels in Kenya are very nice, but the Serena hotels in Tanzania are really special. First stop was the converted coffee plantation at Lake Duluti where you sense what Africa was like during colonial times. At the Serena in the Serengeti you truly felt like you are in the bush with frequent bushbaby, dikdik, and mongoose sightings. You actually believed the story that a leopard had been found in a room when someone failed to close and lock their balcony door. From our balcony we watched buffalo, elephants and wildebeest converge on the waterhole below. Finally the Serena at the Crater - we had just started to unpack when we heard this grunting sound. A buffalo was right below our balcony! As an older traveler you always wonder what will happen if there is a medical emergency - this was when Lion World and Leopard Tours displayed their true value. One of my travel companions got a severe case of motion sickness. Our guide, Ibrahim, was extremely compassionate. He gently cared for her and immediately arranged for a wonderful doctor to see her at the lodge; the hotel prepared special meals that were served in her room; she even got a call in the bush the next day from the operation's manager at Lion World making sure she was OK. And the food. In Kenya most of the meals were buffet style with lots of prepared Indian dishes. Nothing really special except at the Serena Camp at Lake Elmenteita. In Tanzania we had a choice of exotic soup (the banana soup was to die for) and entre (a meat, exotic fish or paste dish) at both Lake Duluti and at the Crater - in addition to salads and deserts from the buffet. Plus although buffet style at the Serengeti Serena there were always freshly grilled meats, exotic fish and vegetables. We had lunch by the swimming pool in Tarangire and lunch served on real plates picnic style in the bush by a hippo pool. The only real down side - if you go once you are going to want to go again and again and again.

8  Thank pjbDc
Reviewed June 6, 2015

The four days in Cape Town were an amazing time.Our guide,the accommodations,food didn't want to leave. 12 Apostles small with excellent service. Madikwe was totally unexpected. Since there was 6 we had our own private section guide,chef staff. Then Victoria Falls rooms not as luxurious but the view on the watering hole was rest of hotel great. We had no complaints.Additionally, one of us had an accident and our travel agent followed up contacting us at the luxurious Michaelangelo, wish we had another night there. Could go on but the planning experience with Laurandie was excellent and lead to the perfect vacation.

1  Thank Gwen789