Review Highlights
African Adventure

Mandy Maggen did a great job as our agent. We had a wonderful vacation with many unforgettable... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
985curtv
via mobile
Trip of a lifetime

Our family of eleven (grandparents, children and grandchildren) just returned from a safari in... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
euniced582

Recommended experiences in and around Cape Town Central
from US$39.02
from US$146.69
from US$146.69
from US$31.98
More Info
All reviews cheryl gould victoria falls jackalberry lodge leopard tours apostles hotel game drives tanzania safari south africa zambezi river costco travel serena hotels hot air balloon travel agent thornybush reserve ngorongoro crater animal behavior african adventure
Selected filters
Reviewed February 28, 2020

Nothing prepares you for your first visit to sub-Saharan Africa but Elizabeth at Lion World Travel answered every question with patience and genuine concern and was ready with reassurance as the time neared for our departure. The trip exceeded our expectations in so many ways. Our accommodations were first class and the staff in each location lavished us with personal care and attention. The food was also varied and of excellent quality. But of course, the real highlight is seeing the animals in their natural habitats. Being able to experience the different locations of Ol Pejeta, Lakes Elementeita and Nakuru, and the Masai Mara meant we saw a great diversity of habitats and both animals and birds. After a lifetime of travel this was our first time using a tour company and we couldn't have been more pleased with the experience. Thank you Lion World Travel and their partner Twiga Tours.

Date of experience: February 2020
3  Thank Marsha G
LeeannLWT, General Manager at Lion World Travel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2020

Dear Marsha,
As an independent traveler, we greatly value your trust in having Lion World Travel organize your first-ever tour company booking!
Africa can present some unique complexities that make planning a trip more stressful or confusing than many other destinations, so we are very happy you were pleased with how your safari and travel experience turned out.

Reviewed February 26, 2020

My husband and I went on a LUXURY KENYA vacation in January 2020 that was arranged by LION WORLD TRAVEL. This was a vacation of a lifetime that exceeded our expectations.
From excellent communication with Cheryl Gould – our courteous, friendly & patient Lion World Travel representative, to our kind, knowledgeable, and safe JEEP driver - Seif Bijad from Twiga Tours in Kenya, to all of our luxury 5-star Serena accommodations that provided excellent views of animals and surroundings.

And of course, the best part was seeing the magnificent animals. We saw more then 80 different species, including the big 5 and leopard, and also some small ones that we have never heard about before, like the super cute hyrax & dik-dik.
It was so fabulous to be able to spot them, follow them in their natural habitat, and study them in close proximity or through the camera lens or binoculars.
By the way: the binoculars were provided for free for each passenger in the jeep. Also, Twiga Tours provided to each person a booklet/checklist that listed tons of animals and birds with their picture and short description. As soon as we spotted one, we would check it off the list. That was very helpful for learning & tracking.

Again, we were very impressed with the whole experience and we would highly recommend Lion World Travel to anyone who wants to go on a well-organized and stress-free luxury safari of a lifetime. We certainly can’t wait to go back. Thank you Lion World Travel for the memories of a lifetime. We will never forget.
Viktoria & Daniel ☺

1  Thank 99viktoriam

Dear Viktoria & Daniel,
Sounds like Kenya treated you both very, very well on your safari. More than 80 species spotted, that is impressive! It is always fun to see people get excited about some of the smaller, less popular animals like the dik dik and hyrax.

A stress-free safari is what w aim for with our guests, we are happy to hear we succeded for you.

Reviewed February 26, 2020

Our safari was organized by Lion World Tour. It was the trip of a lifetime, as they told us it would be. Jean Kadenhe was our contact and she organized a great trip and we couldn't have done it without her. We're good travelers and are adept with making our way on our own but safari is so different that we wanted only an expert to handle it. We highly recommend Lion World Tour for safari.

The lodge we chose among the several that Lion World works with was Jackalberry. It was lovely, clean, airy, and quite spacious and private. The mosquito nets were put in place each night, nothing was left to chance (South Africa is a lower-risk malaria zone so that too was reassuring). The staff is friendly and respectful. We ate great food--the lodge employs a terrific chef. The pool is quite small but we didn't need a swim because the weather was misty/rainy and cool at times (a word to the wise: be prepared for changeable weather even in the summer time). There is one small recommendation I would offer to serve those people who want some exercise: a fitness center or some running paths around the camp perimeter would be welcome additions to the premises.

The actual travel, which we organized ourselves, went smoothly. Despite 7 flights and 14 takeoff/landings there were no delays, no luggage lost; had there been a problem we would have been prepared for Lion World gave us in-depth instructions and a convenient cheat sheet and emergency contacts card.

We are very satisfied customers!

Date of experience: February 2020

Dear Kirsten!
Great feedback, thank you. for sharing.
Your recommendation of Lion World Travel and Jean, in particular, is appreciated. Thornybush is a beautiful spot, isn't it? The exercise tips are very helpful, thank you - although might not be best to have a running track around camp as it could excite the lions and other predators a bit too much ;)

Reviewed February 10, 2020

I am an avid traveler and I often book most of my own travel/tours/accommodation/transportation. I generally like the flexibility of my own schedule. This trip was for my niece's graduation gift and when we decided on a safari, I knew it was a bit more complicated than my skillset. Through Lion World travel, we booked an inclusive package to Kenya. This trip was to be start-to-finish EVERYTHING from the flight there to the flight home (minus drinks and gratuities). I was grateful to have the details settled for such an adventure but I had no idea just what we were about to experience...

This was without a doubt the most perfect vacation of my entire life. We worked with Jean to find the perfect package. She answered SO MANY questions and logistical issues of coordinating multiple people and payments. She kept us on schedule for visas, vaccines, ect... Lion World provided some pretty great swag including luggage, travel wallets, luggage tags, all relevant documentation and travel/packing lists. Our flight was direct from NYC to Kenya. We were met at the airport by porters and brought to Kenny outside. He was the representative from Lion World local partner, Twiga Tours. Kenny was so warm, welcoming and funny. We clicked right away. He provided MORE Lion World swag in the form of safari hats, steel water bottles, and a sunscreen/insect repellant/antibacterial gel kit with a map and animal/bird identification book. We also stopped at a nearby park for a champagne welcome toast and he explained to us our itinerary before heading to the hotel. While Kenny wasn't our guide for the entire trip, he started us off on the right foot. (And we were able to see him again later that evening at the elephant orphanage.)

Our guide for the rest of the trip was Stanley. Or as we called him Stan Lee, our superhero. We're a big comic book group. He was amazing at making everything roll seamlessly and helping keep us on schedule. We can dawdle. He handled all of our exuberance for every single animal and all our questions and had a ton of patience as we wanted to take 50 more pictures of that one bird. hahaha. We had such a great time in sing-a-longs (hopefully he'll remember our Good Morning song and singing TLC whenever he sees a waterfall) and his catch phrase became "It's in the book!" as we were diligently trying to check off as many as possible! He even let us leave a few minutes early one day as I had spotted a lion from my balcony (with binos) and we wanted to be the first truck down there to see him up close! He also taught us so much (jackals have 42 teeth!) and helped us learn how to spot better in Kenya, something that has been a hobby at home in our own family for generations. Stanley, if you ever want a junior guide/spotter, call me! I'll do it for free! Thanks to his efforts, we saw the Big 5 in the first two days of the trip. And overall we saw over 20 lions! The only animal we hadn't see that we really wanted to see was a cheetah and he managed to find FOUR on our way out of the park heading to the airport. He was truly fantastic. We also made it a challenge to try and find harder/more unusual animals and we lucked out spotting three monitor lizards (one we found as it snatched up a heron we were watching, the leopard tortoise, several dik diks and hard to spot birds and of course the black mamba (although that one was on our lodging grounds) to name a few. Perhaps the best National Geographic moment was when, while trying to find a rhino in the area, we instead spot a leopard trying to hunt impala. The impala are alerted to the leopard making it have to dodge and weave it's way around to try to lose itself in the grass... until four giraffe come along and chase the poor leopard away. It was very exciting to watch it all play out and it was our only leopard sighting the entire trip.

Lion World booked all Serena properties for our tour accommodations and they just kept getting better and better. They exceeded our expectations every time in both accommodation and staff service/professionalism. My brother-in-law has Celiac Disease and each location took special care to ensure his dietary restrictions were met in a way that did not distract from his experience at all. The food the entire trip was scrumptious. The properties were all gorgeously appointed and luxurious. I slept so well (but bring earplugs if you don't want to enjoy the sounds of nature just outside.) The Lake Elementeita "tent" was almost as big as my first floor of my house. It had ROOMS. And at Sweetwater, you could sit on your porch and watch the animals come and go from the watering hole. You almost didn't need to leave the grounds! Then there was Masai Mari... The buildings look like something out of Star Wars (I'm going with Endor). While the rooms were much smaller than the other locations, the VIEWS are jaw dropping. This is where I literally spotted a lion on the plain below my room. I also looked out my window to see the reclusive Bushbuck and her baby standing a few feet away.

Jean also provided a very special moment for us by letting our lodge in Maasai Mara know it was a celebration trip. We had one of the funniest moments of the trip...one we'll never forget when the staff brought out a celebration cake (gluten-free!) for my niece and serenaded her for a couple of songs. The level of detail and thoughtfulness was so touching. We're so grateful.

It wasn't just all about safari either. We visited an elephant orphanage, a chimpanzee sanctuary, a rhino sanctuary, a Maasai village, and the equator. We also planted trees and had a cooking class.

Returning to Nairobi for our flight home, Twiga arranged for us to have access to the executive lounge at the Crown Plaza hotel until our evening flight. It was a beautiful place to relax and we had access to the swimming pool, sauna, and an assortment of beverages and snacks. It took away the stress of such a long "travel" day.

I don't know what else I can tell you. Normally, when I travel, at least ONE thing goes amiss. Some little misadventure happens and I scramble my way through it. It's actually a family joke. I EXPECT it. However, this trip was LITERALLY PERFECT from start to finish. I cannot think of a way to make it better. To put it in the words of my niece (which she uttered on multiple occasions during this trip), "I can't believe this is my life."

3  Thank C_Razzano

Dear Guest,
Wow! What a thoughtful and heart-warming review, thank you so much! That is one graduation trip that will never be forgotten. We're happy you enjoyed the little surprises along the way, and that you saw some amazing wildlife experiences like the leopard trying to hunt.

Reviewed January 25, 2020

We have booked two groups to South Africa using Lion World, working with John A. Very easy to work with; accommodating. Wonderful experiences. Super accommodations. Fabulous safari. Don't try organizing everything on your own - use Lion World and you will not be disappointed.

Dear Guest,
Your continued support of Lion World Travel is greatly appreciated. If you have a group or special interest safari and want something custom in Africa, John is our go-to guy! So happy he has been able to work with you on multiple Africa group bookings and that you recommend our services.