“The bench mark of how a 5* hotel should be-in a beautiful city”

Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Ranked #9 of 111 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I made my reservation last November and rather than be negative about the lack of precision from a reservations person,who is no longer with the hotel.I am going to praise Chantel Visagie,who once she had seen the emails that had been sent, she made sure I got the confirmation as it had been agreed.Sarah who was front of house before has now become the manager of the reservations-I have a feeling that the place will now run very efficiently,as accuracy is her watchword(but more on the new reservations team later).
This year I had my mum with me,as I wanted to give her a special holiday.We arrived at Cape town airport and were greeted by the hotel driver,who whisked us to the hotel.Crystal and Gillian checked us in,and I found myself back in my favourite room 410,whilst my Mum was in 411.The balcony with a view of Table Mountain and signal hill is one of the world's great views.The room is spacious and the bed is just so comfortable-the number one consideration for anyone wanting a great holiday.All my requests before I arrived had,naturally,been met-including a shredder in the room.This is one of the things that makes this such a good hotel is that they treat each guest as an individual.In the last twelve months there have been two major changes.The dingy gym(see last year's review) has been replaced by a modern state of the art one,next to the spa,with proper air con and natural late.The other is the new Oasis Bistro.This is a very modern restaurant with woodern floors and a curtain that can be brought down when it is not so busy.I do think it could just do with a few plants just to make it feel a little less big.Whilst talking about the Oasis,two of the stars of the hotel are here Margaret(known as Oma) is terrific,she makes sure all our requests are met at breakfast.Then there is Katie who is always smiling and again highly efficient.Breakfast is a wonderful post gym feast.You can order just about anything and they will make it freshly for you.The croissants are so morish and crunchy.My mum kept "borrowing" mine but they soon brought extras!!The pool is a lovely place to realx and sleep,I have my favourite spot under a tree.Chad ensured the bed was made up,and checked everyone was alright throughout the day.We had the famous afternoon tea one afternoon-Viki the pastry chef produces wonderful food-the savoury dishes are just heavenly.One of the joys of afternoon tea is watching how people fill their plates.It was a fun afternoon,which my mum adored.Whilst talking about Viki-one evening we had the Chef's table in the kitchen-this is a fabulous evening.Mum and I thought it one of the reall highlights.You can wander round the kitchen,asking questions-chat to the chefs and watch them plate up yor food.The thing that amazed us was how calm the place is.It is nothing like you see on TV.It is a nine course exravaganza,if you wanted you could also have nine glasses of wine,Carl(the sommelier) did the pairing-he knows his wines.The food was incredible-and the chef who had prepared it explained in minute detail how the elements were constructed.Mum and I thought the highlight was the curry leaf veloute which went with the Kakabeljou and fennel spatzle.But the guys all gave us an evening to remember.Wynyard Colin and Jaco produced the meats ,while the girls did the starters and the desserts!Kevin looked after us royally.Just one word of advice where light clothing as the kitchen is very hot.
We were so replete after the meal I did an extra 25km cycle the following morning in the gym.If you get an oppurtunity to do this you will not regret it .
Other things we did in the hotel,include my annual cocktail party,which this year was held in Taunton gardens a beautiful place in front of a majestic building in the hotel grounds.I have been coming here for 11 years and did not know it existed!(how bad is that)Paulo and Shaed ensured that the party was a great success.The canapes were fantastic-not many were leftover!!
Away from the hotel Cape town has so much to offer,fabulous restaurants(see my restaurant reviews),theatre,a trip up the mountain either by foot or by cable car.My Mum went out to Cape point,which she enjoyed despite the pick up being an hour late.I also go to Bhapumelele,a children's home run by the amazing Rosie.This brings such joy-the fun and the love the children have here.I love my visit as it helps to keep me grounded.The children are amazing and their ambition knows no bounds it is heart-warming that someone can give so much-a proper angel.
Getting back to the hotel.There are 2 groups of people that make the stay so perfect-the housekeeping team,who are immaculate,the room is perfectly clean and tidy.Everything is folded neatly-I do not know the names of the people-they are like magic elveswho slip-in whilst you are not there,and disappear again!
Last but by no means least,the amazing concierge team of Jo-Anne,Michelle Althea and the token bloke Byron.This has to be the best conciegre desk anywhere,efficient,precise accurate and always smiling.Restaurants get booked,theatre tickets are bought.They will even shop for you if you are as lazy as I am on holiday!Anything from suncream to Ostrich eggs!
The mark of a great hotel is how they deal with things when they do not go to plan.I will give one example,I noticed there was something wrong with my safe.I mentioned this to Michelle and she asked when would be a convenient time to sort it.As it was locked I suggested after dinner.When we came back to the Michelle,she got onto the security and maintenance team-bearing in mind this was at 10.15 at night.Within 10 minutes it was sorted.That is proper service.
I said at the start that I would come back to Sarah,she is friendly and professional when discussing room rates,for next year.I reckon that her and Chantel are going to be a great team as Manager and deputy.
Xavier the manager as I said last year is a great asset,he is hands on,and just wants to see the guests happy.
Joey the guest relations Manager always has a bon mot and is full of fun.My mum found him highly amusing-he had her chortling!
I only wish the Aussies had won the test as he would have become sheepish.!Be sensible when you are out and about-do not flash jewellery or cash.I,personally, do not wlalk about at night.I take a taxi out and the hotel car back.
This is a sensational hotel,where they do go the extra mile.It is based in a magical city.
I had a brilliant time and my mum adored her 2 weeks here!
Kendal mint

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank KendalMint
There are newer reviews for Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Just coming back from High Tea at the Mount Nelson. Not the first time, and hopefully, not the last time either.
One has not lived until they've experienced High Tea in this cozy salon, where you sit comfortably in plush sofas and enjoy live piano music. Decor is oh so traditionally English, with soft colors and the flower decoration, whether in pots or in the garden, is eden-esque, if this word exists.
The tea menu is mind boggling - I try a different tea each time I go. So far my favorites are Oriental Spices and Lapsang Souchong, the latter offering smoky earthy flavours that contrast beautifully with the sweet treats.
The treats... what can I say? a delight for the eye - presentation and decor is outstanding. All the pastry chefs must have some watchmaking experience: the decorations are so precise and for the palate - the traditional cakes are fresh, the chocolate is smooth, the flavours subtle and original. Today's surprise for me was a mini milk tart with a hint of lime - just divine!
Service is excellent with an understated yet efficient presence.
I've visited other places in Cape Town for High Tea - nobody, did you read well? NOBODY beats The Mount Nelson.

Tip: if you want to go during the week-end, you must book well in advance. The week is less busy and you could very well be able to book for the same day.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank princesslyka
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Classic old hotel with good renovations. Setting is beautiful. Staff could not have been more helpful. Byron at the concierge's desk could get anything done. Really enjoyed our stay. It is a ways from the waterfront, but that was our preference. Many sites within walking distance and also many good restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2012

A Cape Town icon for so many years, we decided to try the Nellie again. Still superb! The High Tea, the rooms, the service and although the Oasis was under renovation, the food selection and service in the lounge was absolutely world-beating.
Can there be a better experience in the whole world? As travellers for over 40 years, we have yet to find one. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Try to get one overlooking the gardens - simply colonial decadence.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2012

At the Mount Nelson you will find a perfect place to stay. The staff is vey friendly and helpful. The rooms are big and clean. I highly recommend the afternoon tea and the burgers on the terrace. A very special place to stay in Capetown.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Stayed in one of their cottages adjacent to the hotel.

Could not fault anything. The whole hotel just gives memories of happier times in the world!

Well worth a stay.

Not just a hotel - a destination in its own right!

Room Tip: Any room in this hotel is excellent!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank viscountwalden
Reviewed 16 October 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Mount Nelson to start off our Honeymoon. We felt as if we were treated like royalty. All the staff knew us by name and treated us like royalty. Our room was upgraded and they had champagne for us numerous nights. The conceriege was able to book all our tours and dinners. Althea was a delight to deal with, she has a big heart for customer service. This hotel is beyond beautiful, decor is outstanding along with service.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple