“Favourite place”

Mr Lin's Sushi and Thai
Ranked #698 of 1,206 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 10 December 2016

This became my favourite place when I stayed in Cape Town for some months. Great sushi and thai food at a reasonable price

Thank Alf Robin G. M

Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

A cozy establishment located on Lower Main and Trill Road in Observatory, this place serves only passable sushi and Thai food that is ironically made by Chinese. It's a step-above store bought sushi, and I wouldn't say the food is traditionally authentic as dishes have been adapted to accommodate the local palate like the Tom Yum Soup that is a thick coconut broth instead of a clear savory broth. Granted I didn't try every dish, but I did take a go at the sushi conveyor belt which is in the back of the restaurant as I was dining solo.

Reviewed 22 June 2016

My roommate and I went on a Wednesday night and it was quite full - so making a booking might be a good idea. The sushi buffet was good value for money. The waiter who served us was very polite and helpful when trying to make decisions with regards to getting what we had paid for. My roommate felt a bit poorly before going and started to feel worse when we were there (completely unrelated to the food and the restaurant), so the waiter ensured that we were able to get the bill quickly and be on our way. Would definitely recommend to anyone who is interested in eating a lot of sushi for a decent price.

Make sure you go with an empty stomach to make the most of it! Be advised that they do charge you for an pieces that you do not eat. So just ensure that your eyes match the size of you stomach before you start ordering all the different dishes!

Reviewed 6 June 2016

I came to this place on recommendation of a friend - worst idea ever. I was one of 3 customers at the restaurant with 3 waiters serving on the night - it took 15 minutes for them to bring me a menu, a further 20 minutes to bring me a glass of water and 40 minutes to bring me the smallest and most disappointing plate of penang curry i have ever had with only a mere 5 tiny cubes of chicken lost somewhere in the bowl (you also have to order the rice separately, which again came in an amount suitable for a toddler). With the extra rice, dont be surprised to spend R100+. I left irritated and still hungry. I wasted so much time waiting around there and thanks to their tiny portions and even more perplexed as to their bad service which was about as useful as snake mittens - it's not a big restaurant, there were hardly any other customers, what could possibly take that long???

Reviewed 6 June 2016

I was looking around the internet for sushi places (offering buffet & a conveyor belt) I haven't been, leaning more towards the Southern Suburbs. After a lot of searching, reading reviews and deciding on three places in the process - I came across this 'hidden gem'.

MR LIN'S
Mr Lin's is a small sushi/ thai restaurant in Lower Main, Observatory. After circling the block 2 or 3 times for parking, we managed to get parking along a side road.

Although calling the afternoon, booking a table for 2 at the window, when we got there, no space has been reserved and we weren't met at the door. Though the concept of not honoring a booking ails me (they weren't that full that giving away a table was necessary), I didn't mind sitting at the small conveyor belt at the back, near the kitchen, in front of the guy making the sushi.

FOOD:
The sushi was ok - not bad, but the quality lacked (consistency in salmon slices used in the pieces) and the variety wasn't that great - although, again, I didn't mind as I stick to what I like anyway (: (Buffet R139pp)

STAFF/ ATMOSPHERE:
Staff was helpful enough, though not chatty which would've been nice. A few minutes after we were seated, I noticed I was missing something... It was quite awkward. It was the music, there were no music playing. Shortly thereafter they put on some music - odd choices, but it was enjoyable, something different, and it got everyone chatting at least, creating a more comfortable atmosphere than whispering or not talking because it's so quiet.

KARAOKE:
When we paid, we took a walk to the back where there was two tables enjoying the karaoke. The area is a small space, I think 3 tables and 2 screens with the words, speakers and a mic for the person singing. You'll be much more inclined to sing here as you're able to stay seated (at least the guy we saw) as having to stand on stage (I didn't notice one).

All and all, nice to have experienced a different place.