All reviews games room grotto beach bacon and eggs wooden floors rooms are clean quiet area family room sea view enjoyable stay yogurt home away from home small pool town centre nice breakfast short stay lovely place whale watching
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

All is good. The room is big, the Breakfast is delicious. The hotel is beautifully decorated in an African style. The only negative - the draft, after a shower was uncomfortable. The hotel is on the outskirts, but we were in the car and we were satisfied.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

A sadly run down hotel...definitely does not look like its photos...room below average...peeling shower and not clean.....average breakfast....PLEASE DO NOT sleep in Room 12...spent the night being woken up by people above stomping and doing whatever else at 4am!!!...definitely will never go back to that hotel.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2018

Our room was okay, but partly run-down. Breakfast was the worst on our trip (seven accommodations). On the first day we ate it and afterwards we looked for something else, although we had paid for it. There was only the cheapest of the cheap, partly still dirty dishes on the tables. The fried egg and so on was not edible. Maybe it was because the hotel also economized staff (the receptionist was also waiter and cook...).

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2018

We booked a room that we had seen on booking.com, i wanted the room with a balcony and was told we can take the family room. (As advertised i saw the room with a fridge and veiw) Thinking that I was paying for a room with a balcony i went ahead and made full payment. The friday we got there we were shown to a room that looked like a cupboard. No veiw, just a wall and two bed, with very little walking space. I was deeply upset and even felt like crying because we drove all the way from Cape Town with the picture of the balcony room in our head. Petro told me that she could maybe move us into another room but for just one night.. i was not happy with this as I wanted a beautiful veiw to enjoy my weekend with as I am from Cape Town and have never been in Hermanus for overnight staying. Keep in mind that we had a 3 month old baby aswell. This us what I thought I was paying R1800 for.. We then were told we were overcharged aswell as she didnt check properly and had to refund us R250We then got offered a place to stay by my Fiance's boss and ask Petro if we could perhaps work something out about getting our money back as we also have a little baby. She was extrenely rude on the phone and basically had nothing nice to say to us after we were nothing but nice in the phone.. She told us that we couldn't get back any of our money and that we forfeited the whole weekend.. I was so upset about this because Normally you only make a 50% deposit and pay when you come.. so why could we not get anything back.. when we drove back ti the place to speak to her after telling her we were on the way back from the shop she was suddenly off duty. We didnt stay the night, She only phoned us the next day with a very arrogant voice and told us she would give us 50% back.She refunded us with an attitude and told us well thankfully we booked someone in your place.. I honestly believe i should have been refunded fully. For the rude behaviour, the fact that it was not what was advertised and misleading and that she even overcharged us without us knowing and only told us the day we got there.. I would not reccomend this place at all.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2018

The Baleen hotel is at one end of Hermanus close to the beautiful Grotto Beach in a quiet area. It is easy to park but you need a car because you are far from the restaurants, shops and places where you can see whales. The room was small but correct.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
VicoUgarte, Front Office Manager at Baleens, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Fpelle862707,

Thank you for taking your time to give us your feedback and review, It help us to improve our service.
We hope to see you in the future.
Best Regards