“Absolutely Enjoyable!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2017 via mobile

From the minute we arrived, we had the most attentive waiter, food was excellent and the atmosphere was perfect. Will definitely be back.

Reviewed July 31, 2017 via mobile

We dined at Dale's on one of our last couple of nights in Cape Town. Danel, our server, was professional, and charming. However, being tourists, we were unaware that it is apparently normal practice to have steaks served with "basting sauce", even after our server had asked us if we wanted our sauces "on the side" (to which we said yes). We expected plain steaks with sauce on the side.

Our steaks arrived with a sweet black sauce on it, plus a bowl of a honey mustard type sauce on the side. Having had steaks in many other 'steak & frites' type restaurants around the world, we simply didn't expect to have to ask for a 'no basting, pan-fried only' steak (which we now know should be requested). The basting sauce was too sweet, hence we requested the steaks to be sent back to the kitchen.

The second batch of steaks without basting arrived after a VERY LONG WAIT (angry chef, perhaps?) but it was great quality, tender, thick and cooked to perfection save for the fact it was completely unseasoned (angry chef??).

What was really disappointing was how the whole mix-up was handled by the manager. The manager on duty that night was unprofessional for suggesting that the steaks we had sent back would be charged to the server, and for even asking if we were happy to have the sauces washed off the steaks or if we wanted fresh steaks!!

Great steak, but this restaurant is not set up for tourists or for diners with more refined tastes.

Reviewed July 28, 2017 via mobile

I was excited to try this place, as colleague highly recommended it, and seeing now the trip advisor rating, they really let themselves down in serving me.

Note: This review was started, and then stopped, but now I decided to come back a day later and complete it, as I really was very disappointed.

Summary:

After giving us our menus, no waiter came back to take order after 20mins, so had to stand up and get another's attention.

Fresh orange juice was 1/4 pulp- I should have taken a picture!

Starter arrived at same time as main, obviously not what I wanted and forced me to eat it quickly before main got cold.

Ordered another fresh orange juice, which only came after my reminder to them 15 mins later-server left the empty (with pulp) orange juice glasses in the table

Steak was meant to be more on the medium side of medium rare, it came rare

When they brought steak back it came without the veg skewer, and actually still barely medium rare

When they brought the skewer finally, The courgette and carrot were also under cooked, so very firm.

Waitress joked at the end that in her option for all the issues we had our meals should be free-which they were not, nor even a gesture of good will such as orange juices taken off. Had management come over to apologise, this in itself would have gone along way, and demonstrated class and care.

Good restaurants can have bad days, or a sequence of unfortunate events with a customer- it happens. It's how they handle such situations which distinguishes good from great!

Despite this, I still gave a 12% tip, because it wasn't all the poor waitress fault.

1  Thank llcoold
Reviewed July 20, 2017

We often stop of at Dales in paddocks Milnerton, today we get there i ask for a Hunters Edge, manager says to me sorry we dont have so I ask for a flying fish, next thing he brings me a can of hunters edge 250ml can that says clearly free sample not for sale, when i get the bill I am charged R29.00 for a free sample. So I ask the manager, he says well I tried to assist you by giving you what you asked for, not cool

Reviewed July 15, 2017 via mobile

Nothing better than a great Osso Bucco on a cold winters day. Dales' make a great Osso Bucco. Very meaty and bones full of marrow. Complimented with veg and potatoes. Not overdone and tasted freshly made. Enjoyed with a local craft beer as part of their winter special. Love the chocolate you get at the end instead of a mint.