All reviewscourse mealostrich farmhighest ratingostrich filletstunning place to staycomplimentary portmalva puddingcape towngreat stopoverwarm welcomeroad trippeace and quietmaking us feellovely experiencean upgradeen routeexcellent hosts
Reviewed October 22, 2015

We loved very much our stay in the Rietfontein Ostrich Place. The owners are very nice and the dinner and & breakfast is very, very good. The price ist very reasonable for what you get.
We love to come back!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed October 16, 2015

We stayed in Emma's Cottage which was superb.
The Meal (we had Ostrich fillet) was to die for!!
The infinity pool was really great after a day's travelling (though a little cool but it was early spring!) THe views of the mountains spellbinding.
I'd put the "farm" at the top of my to stay list.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed September 29, 2015

A gem of a B&B! We were looking for something special and decided to look for accommodation on an ostrich farm. We came across Rietfontein on Google and saw it was quite a drive from Oudshoorn, but decided to give it a try all the same. We most certainly did not regret it.
The rooms were clean and beautifully furnished. The setting was so beautiful and serene, with the most relaxing atmosphere. We decided to have dinner too and most certainly did not regret it! We received a five-course meal! And the food was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. The hosts were so warm, welcoming, and were so helpful towards us and our one-year old son.
I highly recommend this B&B and the drive out, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2015

On two occasions I overnighted at Rietfontein's Emma's Cottage with my two young boys. Without doubt, it is one of the nicest places we have ever stayed, from the friendly welcome, the port and freshly ground coffee in the utterly beautiful room, the lip-smacking dinner, the amazing swimming pool that had my boys playing and swimming until well after 7. I'd recommend it to anyone and look forward to my next stay in one of the river cottages with dad and the extended family.
(Note - Emma's cottage is actually for two adults, but as I travelled alone with two young boys who easily shared the K-sized bed with me, the hosts kindly allowed us there on two occasions).

Room Tip: Family accommodation by the river, couples in Emma's Cottage.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2015

Warm welcoming greeting when we arrived. We got taken to our rooms about 2km from farm house. Having stayed in a few places throughout the years I can with all honesty say that this was the cleanest yet. It was spotless. The house was traditionally decorated for the area with lovely furniture. Wood was delivered by Kobus himself. The linen was high grade cotton, the towels soft huge and fluffy and the bath robes fluffy and soft. Tea and coffee, fridge in room. Charlotte Rhys toiletries. Local port waiting for us in the lounge area. Supper at the farm house that evening was unforgettable. Ostrich fillet that melted in the mouth. The owners are absolutely hands on and incredibly friendly. Wifi is available at the main farm house. We had a mountain bike race early the next morning and Elmare (owner) provided us with fruit, rusks, yoghurt to take back to our house for before the race. The rusks are home made and delicious. Back from our race and the house was cleaned up. Breakfast the next morning made us regret missing it the previous morning. If supper was good breakfast was utterly delicious. We sat under the vines on the patio, red stone mountains in the background. Blissful. Will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: There are rooms at the main farm house which would then insure wifi all the time.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends