See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 9, 2013

If you plan to stay in stellenbosch for 1/2 nights this is fine, but if longer maybe look elsewhere. The kitchen is OK, basic. Same with double room we stayed in and communal bathrooms. We imagine in peak season this may be a party place. The hostel organised a wine tour for us with easy tours which was again, OK - there may be better on the market. A good location within safe walking distance from restaurants and bars in stellenbosch.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Stumble inn itself is not that special. The location is not great and the people who work there are not very hulpfull; but it is still okay. The winetour which they offer is very nice and you get discount on your dorm when you do it. There is free wifi and a free baz bus shuttle available.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I booked two nights in Stumble Inn based on recommendation in Rough Guide South Africa and because the rating on hostelworld.com was fine. A day prior to going to Stellenbosch I came across the reviews on tripadvisor and honestly thought about cancelling my stay at Stumble Inn. But as I had already invested the non-refundable deposit and a one day notice to cancelling the accommodation is not fair in my point of view, I "took the risk" and am I happy to have done so.
I really cannot relate to the negative points from the recent reviews
- I felt safe all the time: A door code is needed to enter the building and all windows on the ground floor are barred and therefore not accessible from outside; of course if people let in strangers or leave the door unlocked this is not a failure of the hostel in my point of view
- the kitchen, bathroom and room was properly cleaned: Staff cleaned all facilities at least daily and also the dishes of lazy fellow travellers were cleaned and put away properly in the course of the day
The room however was recently refurbished and smelled like paint for one night, the smell was gone the next day though.

Stumble Inn also offers a well priced Wine tour called "Easy Rider", I found this better value than the official Stellenbosch hop on/hop off tour which only includes transport. The location is also superb compared to other hostels in Stellenbosch, as Stumble Inn is only 5-10 minutes walk from the main streets and you will not need a cab to get around.

Room Tip: In one review, I read a complaint on the noise level; I guess that rooms which face the street are more quite than the ones located around the common's area
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank weltenbummlergp
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Please stay somewhere else, very unsafe place, no security, random people wondering in and out who weren’t staying. Loads of people smoking in common areas. Not a very nice place I’m afraid. Wish we had spent a bit more money on somewhere more central in Stellenbosch.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Charlotte R
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Didnt like it at all.
It smelled really bad and the dorms and bathrooms were not really clean.
They don't even change the sheets regulary. One Guy in our dorm left one night before us and they didn't change his sheets after his departure. The next person slept in the same sheets.
The staff was fine but Not really that friendly. Seemed like they didn't care and we were ennoying them.
By the way, dont go there because you think it is a "Party Hostel" it is Not! It was really quiet and empty.
The Location was Good, but just go to another Hostel, stellenbosch is really beautiful and the locals are really nice!!
We are used to low standard and cheap hostels, but nothing like that...

• Stayed: February 2013