“Perfection”

Ranked #22 of 300 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, View
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: In November 2007 Overture Restaurant, situated on Hidden Valley Wines - a wine farm anchored into the side of the Stellenbosch hills - opened its doors for the very first time. Starting from humble beginnings, Overture soon became a destination for great food, service and wines. Since then, Chef Owners Bertus Basson and Craig Cormack have taken Overture to new heights with accolades as prestigious as being in the Eat Out top 10 for five years in a row and acquiring three stars in the Rossouw's Restaurant guide for four years running.You will find Bertus behind the pots at Overture while Craig focuses on his salt range, Amouleh.
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

Set at the foothills of the Helderberg Mountains with picturesque panoramic views, is Overture Restaurant. Start with a wine tasting of the crisp whites and perfumed reds of Hidden Valley Wines, but go easy on the green olives, herbaceous olive oil and bread as you will regret that (and having breakfast) during lunch. This is a opulent 3 course menu artfully plated and preceded by delectable amuse bouche: Daltjie kale, fennel seed ciabatta and onion bread served with lashings of butter, aubergine, pigs head (yes!), radish and mustard. This could be a meal on its own. Starters were kudu tartare and leek velute, both moreish. This was followed by a sweet potato surprise paying homage to this humble veg. Lovely. For mains we had the salmon with lentils and dry aged sirloin with spinach. Divine roast beef fat mash on the side almost killed me as by this time I could not eat another bite (or take another sip of wine). Both mains were sublime, robust in flavour. I could only manage two dreamy delicately perfumed bites of the chocolate pot de crème, gladly finished off by my husband. He found the yellow rice and raisins strangely fabulous. The decor is modern rustic with aeroponic displays bringing a touch of green to the wooden structures. Buddha Bar music in the background adds to the chilled cool vibe. Service was on point with complimentary still or sparkling water regularly being topped up. The wine tasting before helped to identify which pricey wine by the glass to have with lunch. Chef Bertus Basson runs a tight kitchen but graciously stepped out to chat to us for a bit. The autumn menu is truly a riot of unexpected combinations. Come with an open mind for an unforgettable experience and make sure you have enough time to appreciate it all. Beautiful food. Beautiful wine. Beautiful views.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed April 4, 2018

This place is a real treat. The drive up is lovely and once you arrive and are sitting on the terrace you are treated to beautiful views over the valley. The food was incredible and beautifully presented. We were looked after beautifully and look forward to returning.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

Overrated overture. Restaurant trying to prepare meals beyond its capability. The hake was overcooked and dry with no taste, whereas the poppyseed and lemon soufflé was undercooked, running with egg and floor. Although most of the meal was left untouched the service staff showed no concern.

Very poor food and disappointing given other reviews.

The location and wine where the highlight.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank Peripatecian
Reviewed March 27, 2018 via mobile

This is one of the best food experiences I have enjoyed in the winelands. The trip up the mountain through the vineyards ends at this spectacular restaurant. We enjoyed a fantastic 4 course dinner paired with some lovely wines. The ambiance, service and stunning dishes makes this one of the best restaurant options around.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed March 27, 2018 via mobile

Second visit for this place for me.
Good restaurant with good food and service ....
BUT.....when paying our meals ......the big problem started ....
And this is the main reason WHY , we are so, so , disappointed about your customer care .....absolutely no care at all....since after many mails that I have been sent, I never had any reply....no EXCUSES....and same on the different phone calls....

When using my Visa Card , the connection with the card machine was bad....so they used my Visa , few times ....using my pin code....no ticket issued ....they asked me an another credit card , that worked immediately.....but ....when I checked my bank account....our 100€ ( 1500 Rds) lunch....was charged ....3 times ....and when I contact this restaurant , they never apologize.....I presume, they were expecting me , to give up....I had to provide all my details that was showing that problem......
I'm sure it happen frequently .....so if you go there ....be very careful to your paiement.....that's a really pity!
I was at least expecting apologies....or better , a gift....for our next visit ....!
So definitely sure not to come back

Date of visit: March 2018