Devon Valley Hotel
Oude Werf Hotel(Stellenbosch)
  • Breakfast included
Eendracht Hotel(Stellenbosch)
View Hotel
All reviewsflavours restaurantriviera travelpizza ovenjc le rouxwalk in showerwine tastingluxury roomstunning viewswelcome drinkcape townbuffet breakfasttwo nightshotel is situatedwonderful hotellarge bathrooma real treatrelaxing stay
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed at Devon Valley for 8 nights to enjoy some nice X-mas holidays with our 8 year old son.

This really was such a nice and cosy experience ! Rooms (we stayed at a vineyard room) are excellent and very clean, with a beautiful view (this is a place where one could get old just sitting there enjoying life!)

Food is great : breakfasts includes everything one can dream of (except maybe a glass of champagne :)) and dinner is really well prepared and the dishes truly look great as well. Wine is, needless to say, very nice. The staff is friendly and they do their utmost to make their guests feel confortable.

The hotel is central, but peacefully located. A tip might be to get yourself pampered on a safari tour at Aquila, and to enjoy one of the hiking tours at Devon Valley.

As to us, this is a great choice for spending a lovely time !

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Katrijn J
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Stayed at the Devon Valley for 6 nights over Christmas. My flight arrived very early in the morning, but they were more than helpful getting us checked in and settled with breakfast (fresh fruit, nuts, cereal, croissants, toast, smoked salmon, bacon, eggs, beans, sausages, mushrooms, yoghurt, fresh juice.......)

The rooms themselves are lovely. Downstairs ones have a little patio for sundowners, while the upstarus ones have a huge sliding door so you can make the most of the view. Beds are incredibly comfy, and the shower is hot and powerful. Although I never thought I'd have a bath in the middle of summer in SA, they've created a sliding door between the bedroom and bathroom so you can lie back in the bath and watch the sunset- heaven!

Food at the hotel was delicious, and the staff made a special effort on my boyfriend's birthday by giving us a free mini bottle of cava.

Staff generally were very friendly and helpful. They helped us hire bikes for a (wobbly) tour of the vineyards, and were always on hand with a smile.

Only reason I didn't give this 5/5 was because, due to the area, you have to have a car to get anywhere, but that's the nature of SA really, and because the jacuzzi wasn't cleaned out when we first arrived.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We have spent two nights in Devon Valley Hotel starting the Garden Route and I would love to stay there longer. It's picturesque located, luxurious, stylish (in a very elegant colonial style) and as I think prefectly managed hotel. We were greeted with bottle of local wine and the staff was very helpful, when I got some troubles with the car. The breakfast was one of the best. I do reccomend for all people who would like to feel atmosphere of the old Cape...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Stayed at the hotel for one night in December 2011. The rooms were excellent. They are spacious with very comfortable beds and linens and very well appointed bathrooms. A small veranda for every rooms looks out over the beautiful vineyards of the valley, making the stay very peaceful and quite. I reckon this is an excellent place to stay if you're looking for peace and quite just outside of Stellenbosch's buzz. Breakfast was a good buffet, but not exceptional. Dinner service also provided a good selection of food, although preparation lacked the WOW! factor. Make a point of visiting the bar! A lovely plush couch and a very big selection of whiskeys await you. It's a real treat.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ScubaZorro
Reviewed November 18, 2011

If your preference in hotels is along the lines of a highly rated Sheraton or Hilton, you will not give this hotel the best rating. However, the Devon Valley hotel has what those sterile hotels will never have: It is alive with character. It clearly wasn’t designed in one grand, coherent layout, but like so many old Cape buildings must have just “happened” over the years.

It is situated amongst vineyards outside of Stellenbosch, with stunning views of the mountains. Being situated outside of Stellenbosch also helps to avoid the notorious Stellenbosch traffic.

Some of the reviews I read complained about unfriendly staff and bad service. My experience was the opposite: All the staff members I encountered were friendly, courteous and helpful.

My room was spotlessly clean, with all furniture and fittings perfectly maintained, and the bathroom had bath and a trendy walk-in shower. The room opened onto a vine patio in a shady garden, and a glimpse of the views towards the mountains

I only had breakfast in the restaurant, so I can’t vouch how good the food is in general. I was perfectly satisfied with the buffet breakfast.

When I go back to Stellenbosch, I won’t look for another hotel