“Widely variable service”

Ranked #47 of 451 Hotels in Buenos Aires
vancouver
“Widely variable service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

We spent a night at this hotel before flying away for 4 days. Before departing we read in the lobby and talked a bit with the people at the desk for over an hour. They helped with storing our luggage which we accessed a few times, so we interacted a lot with them, particularly a nice young guy who worked with the luggage. We also talked a lot with Julio about transport options to the airport for our 2 parties, and about tango shows. We booked a room with Julio for our return in 4 nights. It was Easter, with light traffic, and we suggested we might be able to do better getting to the domestic airport with a regular taxi than with their fixed price arranged transport, to which he replied we would struggle to get a taxi that day. We had got 3 taxis that day with an average wait time of 12 seconds I would say. It's unpleasant when the staff don't value their credibility and are in effect serving someone else at your expense.

When we returned we were warmly greeted by the luggage worker but there was confusion about our booking - whose name it was under. Julio was at the desk and could not find the booking initially. We said we had booked it with him 4 days earlier, to which he replied that he did not recognize us. Either he is an idiot or was lying again. Talk about the opposite of feeling welcomed.

The next morning the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful.

The breakfasts are served in the rooms only and are mediocre. The rooms are a bit tired and old looking. The area is very nice.

We had very good service at times in this hotel, and also the worst service of a 3 week trip to Argentina and Uruguay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rugbopher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

The rooms are really small studio apartments. There is a grocery store across the street so it was handy to have the kitchen. The staff was very helpful. The only negative was the noise, which was more than ideal but not enough to ruin the experience. I highly recommend and would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
London UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

The location is the highlight: close not only to the Recoleta cemetery (and therefore easy to direct taxi drivers in BsAs: 'take me to Recoleta cemetery' but also close to parks, the Musee des Beaux Arts, Palermo etc.

Breakfast is delivered to room; you tick what you want on arrival, then each day call for breakfast and it arrives within 10 minutes. Breakfast is fair; we found tastier fare (especially oats, bread, juice) at the supermarket opposite.

A note on airport transportation in Buenos Aires:
I ordered an airport transfer back to Ezeiza airport from the hotel desk. This arrived on time and was good value (ARS 180) but it could have been better, since it was in an unmarked car with a large spiderweb crack in the windscreen. Getting from Ezeiza to the city centre was much more problematic. I hadn't looked into this before arriving. When I arrived I walked to a booth OUTSIDE Ezeiza airport arrivals (see photo attached), passing the half dozen men aggressively touting taxis. The booth was marked 'Taxi - Authorized Cars'. It looks like the official taxi booths you see in other cities (Delhi...) which help prevent tourists being ripped off. This booth was different. I told the man sitting in the booth I wanted to go to the centre of Buenos Aires. I gave him the hotel name and address. He wrote something on a piece of paper which he then gave TO ONE OF THE MEN TOUTING TAXIS! Instead of stopping there, I trusted the two men. The driver walked me to his black and yellow taxi parked >1 km away. He then drove me with the meter off to a place around the corner from the hotel. He then showed me the piece of paper the man at the booth had written, which said 'ARS 498'. This is outrageous: over USD 110, more than double the market rate. I paid. On my way out of BsAs I went back to the booth and asked him how much the same transfer should cost; he said ARS 170. Since he had five aggressive taxi drivers standing around his booth I decided not to get out my receipt and argue with him about the rip-off a week earlier.

In retrospect I would have ordered a return transfer from Taxi Ezeiza (http://www.taxiezeiza.com.ar/eng/) for ARS 190 out and ARS 170 back. Their blue and white booth is INSIDE the terminal building, after arrivals. (See their photo attached.)

Room Tip: 301/401/501 etc. are on the corner of the building facing the Recoleta cemetery so have the best vie...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank kauffmad
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel two times on our trip to Argentina. Both times we were impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. The location is great, and the view from the rooms in the front are fantastic. TRhe only thing that they could improve is the wi-fi. It is free in the lobby area, but they charge for it in the room.

Room Tip: High up and in Front
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

I have mostly positive things to say about this hotel but I will start with my only major negative: The walls separating the rooms are very very thin so you can hear your immediate neighbors.

There are 4 rooms per floor so 2 rooms on each side of the elevator. You can hear noise very loudly from the room right next to your room. We were able to hear our neighbors talking, opening drawers and even the wire hangers jiggling in the closet. We were in a room away from the street so we heard absolutely no noise from outside of the hotel. The room next to us was empty during part of our stay but when the next door occupants checked in we could hear them coming in at 5am every night.

Pros: Location was great (see below for more about the location), all rooms are smoke-free, rooms are clean, staff spoke English very well and were helpful, room has a fully stocked kitchenette, that is stocked with cookware/dishes/utensils. There was also a microwave and an empty refrigerator with freezer so you can store food and drinks.

Location: The location is very convenient and was the main reason I chose the hotel. It is very close to Recoleta Cemetery (we could see it from our balcony) and the main plaza in Recoleta.
There are many restaurants very close to the hotel. There is also a small supermarket right across street. Also a bit further but nearby is a mall (with a food court and a McDonalds).
It was also very easy to find a taxi from the hotel. There is also a tourist information center nearby.

Amenities: There is health club right off the lobby but it looked small. There is also an outdoor pool (which I never used but saw from the lobby) but it is very small-more like a plunge pool. I do not think it looked big enough to swim. It is visible from the lobby so it is not very private.

There is Wi-Fi in the room but there is a charge for it per day. In the lobby, there are 2 computers with internet access that are available for free. If the computers in the lobby are occupied and you do not want to pay for Wi-Fi in the room, there is free Wi-Fi in the mall and in the McDonalds that you can access on your smartphone.

Finally, I made a reservation directly by emailing the hotel. They quoted us a rate with breakfast but we asked and received a lower rate without breakfast. We were still able to order breakfast and pay for it if we wanted to. Breakfast is served in the room.

Overall I was very happy with this hotel and think it offers a lot for the price.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank PattiGe
Reno, Nv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Great upscale hotel without the high prices. More like a studio apartment. Store close by so you can shop for food and drinks and you have a kitchenette. Pool was great to cool off in after a day of sightseeing. Staff was wonderful and helpful. Very happy with the location.
The wifi is not free in the room and does go in and out, and makes you constantly resign in. Only point of frustration.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the street are noisy. There is a night club across the street and they party late he...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Fremont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

From check-in to check-out the staff at this hotel(apartment) went above and beyond. Very friendly, helpful staff. Room was clean, quiet, and spacious. Great location to walk to restaurants. Recoleta Cemetary is right across the street, as is a small shopping center. Breakfast is delivered to your room upon request the night before along with a large carafe of coffee.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple