“Outrageous service!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #118 of 449 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Sao Paulo, SP
“Outrageous service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

Very nice and clean hotel, with ok location, however what really made me give the excellent rating was the service. The staff was extremely helpful, friendly and fast in every single thing that we needed them.
Breakfast was concise but very good with different fruits and fruit juices, a good assortment of typical Argentinian pastry (especially the medialunas), dulce de leche, scramble eggs with bacon, nice cold cuts, etc. It was very reasonable.
I know that some other reviews mentioned problems with noise, but fortunately it was not my case. I would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without carpets.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Ivaney S
astenberg, General Manager at Hotel Dolmen, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Thanks a lot for your comments!! best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Hebrew first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

I have generally been pretty happy with most hotels I have stayed in (check my other reviews), including past experiences in Buenos Aires. The Dolmen, while not a disaster, has a number of shortcomings that would have made me reconsider, had I known.

1. Noise - this is my #1 complaint. The hallways are tiled, with no sound absorbency. The doors to the rooms are extremely lightweight. *Any* sound from the hallway is transmitted including people walking, children, the cleaners, the lift, telephones... So far, this hasn't kept me awake, but it goes all the way up to bedtime and from about 6:30 am- so don't expect to sleep in.

2. More noise - I'm on level 14. Stay away from this floor. It is right under the pool pumps, and there is a constant drone. I've found it soothing, because it is constant, but others may not. Additionally, when they clean the water, it's intolerable. When I went to front desk 4 times to say it had to stop, they just shrugged (politely) and said it had to be done.

3. Food - breakfast is a generally below average affair- the scrambled eggs were warm and a bit grey. The rest of the food was adequate, but I decided to venture out this morning and for the rest of my stay to have something more enticing.

4. Standard of the room - the room is tidy and I imagine fairly hygienic. Having said that, the carpet is stained, and there was no plug in the bath. Bed is comfortable. TV is modern LCD. Wifi is actually pretty good.

5. Gym/pool- on the 16th floor, with great views of the district. However, 2/3 pools were not functioning. There was a small gym typical of most hotels (i.e., not really worth using). I'd steer clear, as others have.

6. Staff- friendly, polite.

7. Area- there are better parts of BA, but it' walkable to Recoleta, and there's a tube station nearby (if you haven't used the tube here, it's actually pretty easy and very cheap).

Overall, I'd be willing to accept everything else if the noise wasn't such a problem. That's really a major flaw in a hotel, and I really can't stress how annoying it is to hear *everything*. If you're a light sleeper, or value some relaxation in your room sometimes, I would advise you choose somewhere else.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel avoids street noise. Level 13/14 probably bad for pool noise.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Narcyyst
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I was there with my wife and also one of ours sons an his wife too. We spend outstanding vacation thanks to the excellent attention of all the Hotel's personnel

• Stayed April 2011
Alegrete RS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

The employees are very helpful.There's a guy who works in the breakfast who treated the guests with a special attention his name's Miguel.The maids deserve a little tips they are very helpful.The only problem is the noise that comes from the others pipes in the bathroom.But close the bathroom door and you can sleep well.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

We stayed with two young children for 3 nights The Dolmen is nice modern hotel with good location a few blocks from the Obelisco and the shopping streets and Pacifico shopping ctr and in the other direction a not too far walk to Recoletta.
Staff: Friendly and helpful Good english
Room: cream coloured carpet maybe not the best choice for a busy hotel so it was a bit grubby but apart from that the room was immaculate and v comfortable beds
Noise: We were on the sixth floor on roadside of hotel with building works hardly heard anything, but marble floors inside did mean quite a bit of hallway noise but nothing crazy and usually only in the am around breakfast time
Pool: Lovely location on 16 floor with panoramic city views small but good with indoor outdoor pools, jacuzzi and saunas and small gym
Breakfast: very nice good range of food Bacon eggs, cereals,fruit, baked goods juices n tea and coffee.
Overall a very enjoyable stay

Room Tip: Higher up is quieter Rear is sunnier
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Manassas, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

If you're not a fussy traveler, like me, this hotel is more than adequate. The rooms were clean and being in the back part of the hotel we didn't have much noise. Yes, the maid service was inconsistent with replacing towels and bath mats but a phone call fixed it.

The location makes it easy to walk or take a taxi to a number of popular tourist attractions and is central to bars and clubs (if that's your thing). The staff is friendly and helpful.

The continental breakfast is just that...nothing special but more than adequate to get your day started.

Yes, the wi-fi is horrible. Plenty of people have commented on it so I won't. But if Internet is that important while you're on vacation there are reliable computers in the lobby and plenty of Internet cafes in the area.

The area is seedy very late at night (it was normal for us to get back from dinner and drinks at 2 a.m.) so definitely use all common sense precautions as a tourist.

And the pictures of the pool and gym are misleading. The "hot tub" was cold. I'd avoid the whole rooftop area altogether.

Our party of three was forced to get two rooms when we would have been perfectly comfortable in one room. But I blame that on the travel agent. And since we were split up I can tell you firsthand that some rooms are nicer than others. So if you think your room seems old and you're unhappy, request one of the remodeled ones.

I enjoyed my stay at the Dolmen and would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

We stayed in 10 different places during our recent trip to Chile and Argentina. This was the most expensive - which is reasonable as it was a high standard hotel in the centre of Buenos Aires, and you would expect the other cities we visited to be cheaper.

Things were mostly as they should be. Handy location, small pool, well-used, could do with more sunbeds, but there may not be room for them. Turn down service, not something we needed, but as we were in the room, we each collected a little chocolate. Excellent breakfast. The Buenos Aires Herald (English language newspaper) was at our door on one of the three mornings.

The snag was the internet. I see it was criticised before. The problem is not with the networks. There is one network per floor - and I detected floors 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 as being possible. We never actually managed to connect to 5, but, at various times connected to all the others. I suspect the password was different on 5. The password supplied was a particularly complex combination of letters and numbers.

The difficulty was that, although we could connect to the hotel network, they were often not connected to the internet. Sometimes they did, but after an arbitrary period of time, it dropped me, and I had to re-log on. Sometimes it worked, sometimes I managed to work my way through the different networks (awkward password every time), and found one that had connectivity to the internet. We resorted to using the lobby computers (there were only 2) at times. It was all very frustrating as there was something we had to sort out.

Previous comments suggested that customers could not log on in their rooms to the network. That has obviously been solved. However whomever is managing the networks has done a poor job in setting up the router link to the ISP, and in creating the monitoring processes to ensure service is restored when there is a problem.

Internet connectivity is important to us, and out of the 10 places we stayed, this was number 8 or 9. The others were all cheaper. This is not the standard that I should expect from a hotel of this standard, and is the reason that I would not stay here again, or recommend it. If internet connection is unimportant to you, it would be OK. As the management have addressed the networking problem, maybe they will address the connectivity problem. So you can ignore the negative aspects of this review if you find that subsequent reviewers praise the Wi-Fi service.

We ate in the restaurant once. The good steak came overcooked (we had ordered a punto), but we started eating it, and showed it to the waiter. They brought us replacement meals, with the steak cooked correctly, but we were not sure that was going to happen (language difficulties). The waiter had left us the original meals which we continued to eat, with the result we did not have the capacity for the second one. He should have taken the first away when the decision was made to do them again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Donard
astenberg, General Manager at Hotel Dolmen, responded to this review, 7 March 2011
Dear Sir

We appologize for the inconvenience you had in your stay with Us.
It is not common in Dolmen Hotel, if a Guest has a problem, and we know it, the problem is not been resolved inmidiatly.
Our Mission is tath the Guest returns, and the only way is to make a happines stay of them.
Sometimes we can have problems with the Internet provider Company, but we claim it right away.
Nowadays we know Internet es very important for all the people, that is the reason the Internet service it´s a complimentary for our guest.
Also we estimate your comments for our service, the employs are very valuable for us in Dolmen Hotel, they are always ready to help the clients, and they know the clients are our reason to be in the market.
We would like to see you again in Dolmen Hotel in your next visit to Argentina, in the way to excuse in person and to invite you to try our service once again, we know that we can impove your expectations.
Cordialy.