“Muy Bueno Hotel”
Review of Hotel Lion d'Or

Hotel Lion d'Or
Ranked #280 of 442 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 29 December 2016

This hotel is a former Arab embassy. Our room was palatial for a reasonably-priced boutique hotel. I doubt all the rooms are as large as ours was. We loved the location. Many restaurants, stores, sites within walking distance. Most of staff are helpful. Some don't speak English but most do. The breakfast option they offer at a nearby restaurant for an additional fee is not worth it, considering so many other options are nearby. No lobby space to speak of. The neighborhood is older/upscale, a little down on its luck, but that describes much of Buenos Aires.

Room Tip: Our room on the second floor acing the street was quite large. French doors opened onto a tiny balco...
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 July 2016

You cannot beat the hotel for its location ..several blocks from the cemetery and great shopping as well as one of the nicest areas of all Buenos Aires. The room was very clean and it was cleaned well every day.Very reasonably priced. Staff was friendly but wish their English was better..One spoke no English at all. With that said I would definitely recommend and would stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2016 via mobile

From the warm welcome at reception to the good quality room this was a really pleasant stay in a charming hotel. If I was picky the only issue is the shower in a bath, I would prefer a separate shower cubicle and this could be a problem for an older person.
This said I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for visitors to Bayeux

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2015 via mobile

This review is based on the price and convenience.

It is really hard to imagine staying in Recoleta for a low price, and so close to everything.

It is close to movies, great restaurants, parks, great shopping, and downtown. Plus it is safe go walk around at night.

The facilities are dated, and could use some work, but the WiFi works great, really clean bathrooms, and a very friendly staff.

I also left some of my valuables and wallet out my mistake. The room was cleaned while I was out, and everything was there when I returned.

This is the second time that I have stayed here, and I look forward to coming again.

This hotel with the great location had made this trip one of my best BA visits.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank zip98221
Reviewed 8 January 2015

Found it on booking.com but it's also recommended by Rough Guide for Argentina. Its a small hotel, in a classic, pre-war building---lots of lovely details--mouldings, circular staircase, manual elevator-- and yes it could use a paint job and some new furniture but for less than $100 a night in one of the best (beautiful and safe) neighborhoods in Buenos Aires-- don't be too fussy. No flat screen TVs here but you shouldn't be inside anyway.

The upside: well located, good wifi, front desk staff who always recogonize you, helpful with taxis etc, nice continential breakfast at local cafe (the staff is very ornery). Safe in the room. One staff member spoke English well enough, and others worked well with my Spanglish.

The downside: Room 104 at least was REALLY small. Really. My partner is 6'1" and I'm not sure how he managed to shower in that bathroom. I'm overweight and I was a little worried. No AC in our room (may be in others) but the ceiling fan worked remarkably well. They ask that you pay in cash-- they do accept Euros and USD but just not credit cards.

Room Tip: Room 104 is very affordable but small
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nyasa07
Reviewed 24 November 2014

if you want to stay in Recoleta at a very very reasonable and cheap place...it is spelled Hotel Lion D'or.
Hector at front desk and Carlos the mgr. are very helpful and courteous in their guidance for all attractions, tours, transportation etc. Big room, big bathroom, mini TV..so yes, it is 'dated'..but unless you are looking for luxury...it is walking distance to Recoleta Mall, numerous restaurants, the cemetery, feria in Plaza Francia, BA design mall...and the yellow tourist bus which you can pick up for city sightseeing...so location is awesome...safe neighborhood... price can't be beat...and if you do your research...go to Cafe Tortoni for tango show...taking bus number 10 a block away...
breakfast arrangement with Del Pilar is okay...no choices so to speak...but hey...it is what it is...I picked this hotel for location, safety , proximity to restaurants, transportation, etc.

Room Tip: stay in room 111
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 September 2014

I stayed at Lion d'Or in August 2014, in a single room. I first heard about it in the Rough guide for Argentina. The process of booking was fantastic. I live in UK but am a Spanish-speaker and exchanged a few emails with the staff. All very helpful.

The days I stayed, I felt totally supported and well looked after. They helped with everything: transport, money, directions, storage... The location makes the whole experience even better. The building is old and clean. Very good value for money.

Not too sound unrealistic, I'll add that my bedroom was very old and small but I am not after luxuries when I travel, so it was fine. Also, there could be more privacy as reception is manned 24/7 and you have to hand in and ask for your keys every time you leave or arrive. No visits into your room, which I don't understand.

In short, I'm very happy I stayed there. It was my first time in Buenos Aires (well, in the Americas) and this hotel suited me perfectly.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo