“great and centrally situated hotel”
Review of Hotel Promenade

Hotel Promenade
Reviewed 2 August 2011

it's very reasonable and very good situated, just close Florida St., at city center.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Ter13

Reviewed 3 July 2010

The reviews from this website seems reasonable, which is the price of the hotel. It seems I got less than what I paid for. The staff doesn't speak much English, which made it hard to communicate to them regarding billing particulars. But they try hard to make your stay comfortable. The first day was met by being trapped in the lift for up to 30 minutes and not able to understand the instructions from the staff on how to get out. Then the second night I had to deal with a constantly flushing toilet which the staff tried to fix by just tightening the water valve, which is only a bandage to the problem. I ended up having to unscrew the tight water valve everytime I had to flush the toilet and pretending the constant leakage of water in the toilet was a soothing waterfall. That helped me sleep, because the central heating through the whole building must have been set at 38 degrees. Breakfast was made of mini toast, dried scrambled eggs and liquorice-like tasting coffee. At least wi-fi internet is free.
Bottom line is, stay away.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 May 2010

The hotel was in a very good location just opposite a good restaurant and 2 blocks from the main pedestrian shopping area. The hotel is a little old but the staff were friendly. However there was little English spoken but we were able to make ourselvdes understood. The room we had was at the rear which was quiet, fairly small but comfortable. We felt safe in the area despite all the warnings.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2010

I stayed here in February 2010, with a friend, on our journey down from England to Antarctica. We flew from England, via Paris, and stayed for two nights before we flew on to Ushuaia to join our expedition. The hotel was part of a travel package we had booked, along wih our Antarctic expedition, and so I cannot really comment on the room prices, they were contained within the overall package cost.

I was a little unsure of the hotel when we arrived, the local area seemed very slightly run-down. However we were very warmly welcomed by a very pleasant girl on the desk, and our bags quickly whisked up to our room. The room itself was quite small, with a good view of the light well and all its aircon units, but we didn't come for the view. The aircon units didn't create much noise and with the window closed were unobtrusive. The room was rather warm and we had some trouble getting the air conditioning to work, but a quick call to the reception desk soon sorted that. The bathroom was small, as others have commented, but well fitted and very clean. The beds were comfortable and clean also. Breakfast was taken in a very large dining area in the basement and offerred a large selection of meats, cheeses etc. with good service from a friendly lady at the counter.

The room next to ours was undergoing a complete refit, as were others in the hotel. Apparently the whole hotel is being totally refitted and was nearly complete when we were there. The refitting process did not affect us at all, as all the work was being done during the day. We had no experience of dust or noise at all when we were there. This means that some of the comments of "run-down" rooms in earlier reviews probably do not apply now.

The reception staff were helpful with directions, and advice, helping us to find the local attractions etc. The hotel itself is very handy to walk into the main shopping areas around "Paraguay" and "Cordoba" streets, and is also close to some sightseeing areas. Also around are many bars and resaurants of all sizes.

We had a wonderful meal at "Las Nazarenas" restaurant, on a nearby street called Reconquista. This is a "Parilla", which is a restaurant specialising in barbecue style cuisine. Apparently it is considered to be one of the best in Buenos Aires, or even in Argentina. Certainly the meal we had was the best steak that I can ever remember having. The place itself was very interesting having an Argentine style barbecue in the main window. This takes the form of a large pile of burning logs, campfire style, around which are arranged several metal frames on which are fastened various joints of meat, principally lamb, but with some beef also. The main steaks, such as the ones we ordered were cooked on a more traditional barbecue grill. While our steaks were cooking we had starters, and a beer each, then an excellent Argentine red wine with the steaks, both the meat and the wine were absolutely delicious.

We were scheduled to stay at the same hotel some weeks later, on our return from Antarctica, and enquired if we could leave some un-needed summer clothes, in a bag, with them until our return. They were very happy to do that, they placed the bag in their bag-room and gave us a receipt to claim it back again on our return, it was "not a problem".

On our return, three weeks later, we were warmly welcomed back again, and had another comfortable stay. Needless to say the bag we had deposited earlier was returned to us promptly on request.

All in all a very pleasant and handy budget hotel for visiting Buenos Aires. I recomend it.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2009

I quite liked my stay at the promenade hotel in Buenos Aires. While I will agree the rooms are rather small and the shower wasn't the best I have ever had in my life it had a nice feel to it. The rooms were perfectly comfortable and I found the staff friendly even when practicing my very bad Spanish. Overall it's a nice little boutique hotel in BA.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2009

I stayed at the Promenade a month or 2 ago and have to say it was much much better than I though it would be. I was a little bit scared to stay here after reading some reviews but everything was really new and looked like it had been recently refurbished. The staff were lovely and the location is good. My only criticism was that the rooms were kinda small but I think that's just the norm in Buenos Aires.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 December 2008

The lady in the front desk RUDE!!!
The rest of the staff, a B+.
The hotel rated 3 ***, not even close, at most 1 star...
bathroom nasty, toilet seat made out of wood and all the paitn off the rim...nasty!!! the tiles with mold, no courtain shower; needed to argued to get new towels.
The carpets in the room nasty, smelly.
Location is great and the breakfast very good.
The manager, after a complaint moved us to a "superior" room for an extra A$R 86 (about U$S 28) per day...absurd.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Chimango