New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“The Perfect Location for a Vacation!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gran Hotel Continental

Gran Hotel Continental
Ranked #20 of 157 Hotels in Mar del Plata
“The Perfect Location for a Vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2008

Gran Hotel Continental saved my vacation!! Read on for all the details. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and plan to stay there again on my next trip. Here is my story....
The Upon my arrival in Mar Del Plata to visit friends I started out to find a hotel. My first night in the city was nearly a disaster. I checked into a hotel that looked great in the photos and reviews but found there were some serious issues. I had to find another hotel quickly!
I found Gran Hotel Continental! We walked into the front desk area to find smiling faces and a very helpful staff. I asked about availability and rates and if I could see a room and decided immediately to give it a try, and I am so happy I did.
First, I stayed in the hotel for 12 nights and while most of the employees did not speak english they were all more than willing to work with me to meet my needs. The room rate was 120 pesos per day, HELLO, to all americans traveling, that is $40.00 a day including taxes!
The decor of the rooms is a little bit dated but they are clean, and tended to not only once a day but the maid service tends to the room twice a day! They have 24 hour a day room service and a menu with just enough to please your tastes at any time.
Breakfast in the morning was incredible. There was enough for two people to eat easily, with one exception, if you are a coffee drinker you might want to make sure you order a decanter of coffee.
On my second day in the hotel I was walking with friends to have lunch in the city and I tripped and injured my foot. I thought my vacation was over, but the hotel staff made sure that everything was taken care of. I went to the hospital and back to the hotel and had to spend 2 days off my feet in the hotel. Again, the staff went out of their way to make sure that I was taken care of and it was not their responsibility to do so.

The hotel is centrally located in the Centre where shopaholics can fullfill all their needs and the prices are great!

When it came time to check out of the hotel I made my way to the desk and asked for the bill. Up to this point I had not been charged anything nor had i even given them my credit card. When they presented me with the folio the total was 1423.00 PESOS, do the math..that is less than $500.00 for 12 days of a great room and wonderful service! Go there, stay there, and fall in love with a wonderful little city located on the S. Atlantic Ocean, you will have no regrets!

• Liked — Friendly staff, Clean rooms and great location
  • Disliked — It is a few blocks from the Ocean
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank aljarrin

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2005

Had a terrible experience with the service at the hotel. We booked a suite for 4, received a closet sized double for two with 2 tiny single beds. Beyond that not a single person at the hotel that could have done something about it wanted too. . from the front desk to the manager.

We spent a good portion of the trip trying to find a different hotel, which was much easier said than done. The excuse we receieved from almost everyone at the hotel was that it was not there fault, and that the system was not set up to take reservations over the internet. Um, ok. .then stop booking them online, no?!!

Definitely not recommended, unless perhaps you call and confirm in person. . .you will receive no help when they foul up your reservation.

• Stayed March 2005
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2004

The hotel is a classic 3 stars one. Very well located, just in Mar del Plata downtown.

Rooms need a refitted, not because they were in bad shape but just because they look too "'80's". They are very clean and you wil find colour TVs on them an a comfortable bed.

Concluision: very good value if you are travelling to Mar del Plata for a couple of days (but not recommended for large or holidays stays). MEM

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member