“Worst trip ever, real-life nightmare”
Review of Hotel Guerrero

Hotel Guerrero
Ranked #19 of 154 Hotels in Mar del Plata
Los Angeles, California
“Worst trip ever, real-life nightmare”
Reviewed 20 May 2010

I was visiting Buenos Aires with my family. We decided to get out of the big city and go to Mar Del Plata on New Year's Eve. We were browsing online, and this was the only hotel that was available at the time. When we first arrived, the hotel looked slightly like a motel 6. The reception was very disappointing and rude. We obtained our room key an hour after checking in. We all had to walk around with our luggage to the other entrance of the hotel, which was located on a dark and filthy side street. On the side street, just as we were about to enter the building, a strange young man approached us. He pulled out a weapon and demanded for our money. After we handed around 600$ US cash, he vanished into the darkness. Already having been shocked, we entered our room, where we felt like we were robbed a second time...On one side, there was a closet full of the maid's supplies. To the back right, there was a full size bed. To the back left, there were three twin prison-looking cots. We were astonished. We were traveling with 5 people in total; 4 adults and one teenager. A member of my family is kind of a clean freak. She was checking the entire room to make sure it was spotless. Suddenly, she saw a brownish-greenish substance located near the television. She tried to identify what is was by touching and smelling it. She concluded that it was poop. As she was inspecting, another member from my family spotted an insect. All of a sudden she shouted "una cucaracha!" We approached her and spotted the most repulsive filthy large cocaroach that we have ever seen. We gathered our belongings and immediately went back down to the lobby. We demanded our money back, which was not a part of their policy. We vigorously gave them the keys and stormed out. Fortunately, a cab driver was handy and we found a very nice hotel located somewhere nearby; across the street from the casino.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank fatchupi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Buenos Aires
Reviewed 13 January 2010

We spent two nights there and really enjoyed it. The beds were a bit too small but the rooms were clean and with a beautiful ocean view. The buffet breakfast, included in the rate, was really REALLY good!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank kg_ce
New York City
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Stayed in this hotel June 2009. Recommended.

There are *many* places to stay in Mar del Plata, mostly small hotels, and mostly away from the beach. This is a very good choice for its category, and I'm sure it is booked solid in high season. It's nothing special, so don't expect luxury. But do expect a great location just across from the beach and the Atlantic ocean.

It's on the inland side of the main coastal avenue, a two-minute walk from one of the main beaches. Rooms on the front of the hotel are sunny and have pleasing views of a huge fountain set within a traffic circle (not everyone's thing, but I liked it) and also of the Atlantic beyond. You definitely feel like you're at the beach! Rented a two-room "suite" with two bedrooms, one bath--and no living room. Not what I'd call a suite. But we were three adults and one child, and it suited us fine. Off-peak room rate was good value considering the excellent location and the general quality of the hotel.

Rooms are definitely small, but cramped rooms are the norm in Argentina. Not spotless by any stretch, but clean enough and probably correct for its category.

Staff was pleasant and accommodating, welcoming of children.

This is not a luxury hotel, nor does it pretend to be, so go with realistic expectations and you will be happy with your stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank winebluesea
san francisco
Reviewed 2 February 2008

Nice people. Very helpful. Good Location right next the beach. The first room that they were going to give us was way too small. However, when we asked, they give us a large room with a kitchen for the same price. If you are used to five star hotels, and expect this quality, this is not the hotel for you. It is a little "funky" by high-end US standards.

Stayed January 2008
5 Thank gurleylaw
UK
Reviewed 14 February 2007

I was suppose to stay at this hotel in January for 7 nights, but I left after 4. The room was ok ( kitchen apartment ) but you had to pay extra if you wanted the Maid to clean any of the kitchen utensils or kitchen equipment. The hotel advertised beach equipment, but this ammounted to a beach towel....Actually it was a room towel really. The choice at breakfast was ok, but there was no milk for the cerials, so you had to use yoghurt.on your cerial.
On the plus side there was free internet service for guests & the snack bar next to the lobby was actually quite good.
My main problem with this hotel though, was I was robbed at the entrance to my apartment on my first day, where my wallet & room keys was snatched. To me this shouldnt be able to happen at the door of the hotel & showed a big lack in security. I later found out the hotel has CCTV fixed onto one entrance, but not onto the entrance to my apartment. I never really felt safe here afterwards, so I left early. Personally I would never go back to this hotel.

• Liked — the snack bar
  • Disliked — lack of security
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank flixflyer