Review Highlights
Education

Great look at dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures. Well worth the entry fee. Plan to spend a... read more

Reviewed February 18, 2017
KimC2463
via mobile
very nice

I thought it was interesting and they did a good job of displaying the items I would go back and... read more

Reviewed December 31, 2015
Frank M
Mesa, Arizona

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed May 10, 2015

we like history. so seeing the museum was a rare treat for us. the movies were great. show a way of life we well never see in person. we like the book we could get about the part of mesa. the peoplen were very help and knew a lot about the history.

Reviewed May 3, 2015

This used to be an old high school that my grandma used to go to so it was very neat to see the building and learn about the history! They have different exhibits and it was just very fun! The kids loved it!

Reviewed April 22, 2015 via mobile

This is a very well done museum. So much to see. Prehistoric, geological and SW Indians sections. We highly recommend it.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is not to be confused with the wonderful Arizona Museum of Natural History on MacDonald St. This is the old, abandoned school at the the N. Horne location.

My uncle and I arrived at the museum, labeled as Mesa Historical Museum, and there was an elevated sign saying it's open from 10 to 4. But when we actually got to the building, it was a dilapidated school that was built in 1914 (it was not maintained well). We walked in the door; there were no signs or maps of any kind, nor people to greet you. In the building, we were the only ones there. We found some placards on the wall that talked about Mesa's history. We read a few of them, then a few minutes later, a woman came out of a doorway from an old classroom. She asked, "Can I help you?" I replied, "We don't know where to go." Then she told us that this branch was closed, and then she shooed us out of the building right on the spot! She was so rude. We asked her when this branch of the museum is reopening -- she said it is closed permanently. We felt especially unwelcome when she locked the door behind us on the way out! What horrible customer service! And there were no signs saying the building was closed to the public. Never go to the N. Horne location -- it is apparently permanently closed. First being confused where to go, then getting expelled from this private museum wasn't fun. I'm only going to the downtown location on MacDonald St. from now on.

2  Thank WolfEmperor
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Had a day to check out the sites around Phoenix. Went to the Mesa Historical Museum and was pleasantly surprised. I love anything dinosaur and this museum didn't disappoint. Great displays and full skeletons. Many different species.

The Native American displays and artifacts depicted the local tribe - the Hohokum - who had many advances, including irrigation of crops. Very informative.

Many hands on activities for kids. There were puzzles in various containers throughout the museum. The puzzles were of dinosaurs, pottery, and other items of interest for kids. Large pieces were appropriate for all kids. There were also many different places to touch items like minerals, dinosaur bones, and the like.

3  Thank Cindy S