“Good but not great”

Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa
Ranked #9 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed with two daughters recently for a week. I contacted the hotel prior with a message that we would be arriving by a late flight - they had confirmed 7 nights in an East facing room I had requested- but apologized when we got there - our first night had to be in a different room - this was not great at all - bad room, banging metal sound outside overlooking parking lot and roof fans, equipment. We were compensated for having to put us up for that first night in a terrible room with a buffet breakfast the next morning which was ok - but started us off with moving rooms for the second night which cut into our travel plans as we had to wait for the room - don't like leaving luggage in vacating room idea. The remaining six nights were nice overlooking the golf course at the back. Was only provided three smaller bath towels even though we were three women with longer hair . I asked that we be provided with at least two extra towels every day - and it only happened once - after that we got tired of asking. There was only an inside bathtub rack to hang towels to reuse - great difficulty keeping them dry!! So much for conserving towels :) !! The executive rate which was supposed to include Manager's reception every evening was nice - lots of appetizers etc. Great drinks!! However my two almost adult daughters who are a few months from University could not join me - this was disappointing and misleading when I booked - no mention of age restriction at night. They were allowed, however to join me for a continental breakfast every morning in the same room - which, when we booked the trip - is not explained on the hotel website (the over 21 rule for evening reception needs to be communicated to guests so that they know prior to booking). The hostess was very accommodating and lovely. The pool was ok but small - interesting how hotel website photography always makes things look so much bigger. We were shocked how the local area and people have been hit by the economic times - huge big box store strip mall across the street was like a ghost town - completely shut down and empty. The Fiesta Mall close by is limited - so we rented a car from the SEARS and drove to Scottsdale area Fashion Mall and stores, Cubs Spring training game at Hohokum etc. Easy access to freeways etc. Looks like an Embassy Suites idea without the atrium plants, tables, evening reception and breakfast.

Room Tip: East facing towards the golf course.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank westcoastseabreeze
HiltonPhxEastMesa, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Westcoastseabreeze,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with helpful feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the room mix up. We do everything we can to accommodate our guest requests, but due to high peak season we may fall short. Your housekeeping comments have been addressed with our housekeeping staff and will be fixed immediately. Our Executive Lounge does not allow anyone under the age of 21 to attend the evening reception and I do apologize if you were informed otherwise. Our websites and reservation staff does inform our guests of this. Once again I would like to thank you for providing us with valuable feedback that we use to improve our service for future stays.

Sincerely, Gary Levine, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,116)

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Non-smoking room reeked of cigarette smoke; basic, but overpriced hotel.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mtpdx
HiltonPhxEastMesa, Front Office Manager at Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
I wanted to thank you for choosing the Hilton Phoenix East Mesa for your family trip. I do apologize that your accomidations left you less than satisfied as we strive to follow our motto "Everyone Leaves Happy" with every guest. Our Housekeeping department has been notified of this and is working on correcting the issue. Again I truely apologize for the smoke smell in your room and please do not hesitate to contact us if you wish to discuss this further. Thank you again for your feedback.
Have a great day.

Alex Slingerland
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Four night stay for business. Location near Fiesta Mall provides numerous choices for meals in addition to the hotel. Next to 60 providing rapid access to wherever you need to go in the area. Check-in was very good but had to change rooms due to temperature problems and second room was fine. Very few true balconies but suites do have a sliding door and you can step out but no room for a chair. Nice pool area but not many chairs. Executive lounge was small. Food was good. Internet worked fine. Exercise area good. Plenty of places to walk for exercise that felt safe and not too busy with traffic. Overall a very nice stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Phoenix East Mesa while staying in the valley of the sun and we thank you for your comments. We value our guests feedback and are always striving to make sure every guest leaves happy. It is with great pleasure to read about your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Alex Slingerland
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We reserved a wheelchair accessible king bed for two nights with Hilton honors
Points. We arrived at 7:00 PM and were told they made a mistake and gave our room to someone else. This really was entirely inexcusable. You simply don't make a mistake like that. We were given a non accessible queen room instead for the first night and were given club privileges for both nights. Small recompense when my wife could barely use the toilet and could not use the sink/mirrors or bathe. The second night we were given a king suite. The hotel is 25 years old and badly needs renovation. We only used the club privileges once. The club host was exceedingly nice. We were shocked to find out that they are made to throw out all their unused food. They should make an effort to donate that food to a homeless organization. Hotels should never give away accessible rooms which are reserved. At the very least they should have made our stay free. We are not the suing type, but if we were I don't see how the hotel could win. Disabled people do have rights. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Lakingsrule
HiltonPhxEastMesa, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Dear Lakingsrule,

Thank you for the opportunity to provide us with your feedback for your recent stay. We strive to grant all guest’s requests to our best ability and sincerely apologize this did not happen for you. We would love to make things right and would like to speak with you further. Please contact our Front Office Manager, Alex Slingerland, at 480.833.5555 ext 7128

Please accept my deepest apologies and we hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

The reception staff were most unfriendly and unhelpful, and the executive lounge was the smallest and worst equipped I've ever seen in a Hilton. Our room was nice, but we looked out over a busy freeway. It was not what we expected from a Hilton hotel - our favourite chain of hotels. A great disappointment.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
HiltonPhxEastMesa, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Dear Jasmin,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. The information you have shared serves as valuable feedback for myself and my staff. I sincerely apologize for the frustration and inconvenience you experienced. Please be assured the situation is not a common one and it is certainly not indicative of the level of guest service we wish to provide.

I am investigating and examining the issues with the team members involved and will resolve the situation immediately.
Again please accept my sincere apologies. I also hope you will consider giving us another opportunity to serve you with the exceptional hospitality you deserve.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

The pool was beautiful and the staff was very friendly, unfortunately our room had no hot water, poor ac, and there were extension cords used through out the room for lighting which made the room look cheap and unwelcoming. I feel for the price per night (200.00) you would expect to see a little higher quality.

• Stayed: March 2012

Dear Malexander1,

Thank you for your feedback and your kind words regarding the pool and staff. I sincerely apologize about your room. The engineering department has been notified of this and I assure you, we will correct our mistake. I sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to change your opinion of our establishment by staying with us again.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

The Hilton was nice. I booked for one night as I was flying out the next morning. Sky Harbor airport is a short drive. My room was 735 and upon entryto my room the fragrance of Febreze was nice to take in. Room was modern and updated. The hotel as a whole was quiet. The pool was more like a lagoon/lazy river type with waterfalls and plenty of outdoor seating. Free wi-fi access is available. The Hilton is located right of the 60 freeway and Alma School Road. The Fiesta Mall is adjacent to the Hilton as well. Nice hotel and staff. I highly reccommend staying here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank island_gyal78

Dear Island_Gyal78,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Phoenix East Mesa and thank you for your comments. It is with great pleasure to read about your enjoyable stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!