All reviews penguin colony elephant seals off the beaten path main building lodge animals guide accommodations airport excursions tour
Reviewed May 16, 2017 via mobile

El Pedral
The service was great. We arrived late in the evening in time for diner. However the inn keeper wasn't informed about my food requirements. Even though dinner was ready upon arrival, another fresh and tasty meal was made especially for me. That's what I call excellent service. The accommodations were fine. Visiting the penguin colony was one of the best experiences of my trip. Day hikes from the lodge were fun. What I liked about El Pedral is that it is off the beaten path with a personal touch. But be prepared for the long ride to and from the airport from Trewlow. However it is well worth the trip. If you love hiking, visiting a penguin rookery, and enjoy the great outdoor yet love your comfort as well, then I would highly recommend you stay at El Pedral.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Julitte, Owner at El Pedral, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2017

I take this opportunity to express my sincere thanks for your warm review of El Pedral.
Thanks for all the details and for the precious time for writting it. Looking forward to welcome you again at El Pedral. My very best regards, J.Decré

Reviewed March 18, 2017 via mobile

An absolutely fantastic trip!
I stayed for a long weekend at El Pedral and I honestly could've stayed much longer. Firstly, the views are spectacular. You are surrounded by beauty and nature, it's a perfect escape from the city.
The moment I arrived I had a very warm welcome by the staff who were so lovely. During my stay I felt so at home, not only because of the fabulous views and comfortable living areas but because the staff were very accommodating. They made so much effort to make my stay more enjoyable. You're able to have your own space and time to relax but if you need a helping hand, the staff are always available.
I was a bit complicated as I have food allergies and the chefs were able to accommodate me without any trouble at all. The food and wine was spectacular, every evening the chef would explain exactly what they'd prepared and it would be presented beautifully and taste delicious.
During the tours I would ask many questions and none were unanswered! The tour guides are extremely knowledgable and the tours are also full of fun and adventure. One afternoon I was going to do one of the mini trekking circuits to the view point, and one of the tour guides offered to keep me company and give me more information on the property (and this was in his free time). I am so thankful for how I was treated and I will definitely be returning.
Ah! The tours... the penguins, my goodness I have never been so close to a penguin in my life! We set off in an old fashioned jeep and began the tour on foot shortly after. The moment we arrived I heard the strangest noises coming from the penguin colony. It's fabulous being able to see the penguins in their natural habitat and listen to how they communicate, then walking over the verge and seeing hundreds of penguins scattered all over the beach was such a so-real feeling. What a fantastic and memorable day! The following day I did a mini trek to see the lighthouse, elephant seals and sea-lions on the beach, I was honestly gobsmacked at how beautiful they are! Again, you are so close but you're not harming or disturbing them in any way whatsoever. The lighthouse is situated by a cliff side and it was great to be able to look out for the Orca whales in the distance, although I wasn't lucky enough to see any, the views were still magnificent.
My room was very spacious and I had a huge comfortable bed with and en-suite so when I wanted to be alone I had the option to stay in my room or the living areas are also very comfortable in the main building.
Thank you to everyone at El Pedral for making my stay incredible! It was extremely therapeutic and I have learnt so much in such a small space of time! I hope to see you in the nearby future before returning back to London! Thanks again :)

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Julitte, Director Comercial at El Pedral, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2018

Thank you so much for your coment Sarah.

Reviewed March 14, 2017

Went on a tour and had lunch at the El Pedral Lodge, a charming 8 room lodge in the middle of nowhere! It is simply beautiful country...only miles from where you can see penguins up close in their natural habitat. We toured the ranch which is massive. It is a working ranch and the staff couldn't be more accommodating. And the lunch was spectacular. In the Argentian fashion, lunch was a huge meal, accompanied by fantastic local wine. We we served lamb, chorizo, chicken and empanadas...the meats were cooked in an open pit. The empanadas were home made. For dessert were were served a fabulous fruit salad. It doesn't get much better.

Room Tip: No internet...not TV...a total outdoors experience
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed February 7, 2017

Journey to El Pedral lodge is trip to the diverse flora and fauna of Patagonia,,Visit the Penguin colony established here
El Pedro farm is sheltered by high cliffs that slope down the sea,In addition to Penguins you may encounter foxes guanacos go to the beach of Fossil Ravine with plenty of fossils

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank airport2015
Reviewed January 3, 2017

We stayed at El Pedral for 2 nights (as do most guests). The location is about an hour outside of Puerto Madryn...a bumpy "middle of nowhere" road gets you there, although we had a driver meet us at the airport. Upon arrival we were shown our rooms (nice and clean - but remember the middle of nowhere bit?). Beds were comfortable enough, no A/C (don't need it), power off for 1/2 the day because they run off of a windmill, Wi-Fi exists a bit in the main house, showers pretty bad and the smell of sulfur was gross...but what's coming next will make up for that (and I don't mean lunch).

But lunch was delicious. They have a great cook named Esteffie who cooks everything and she is quite sweet too. We had an amazing dinner of beef loin and potatoes that night. Food wasn't consistent though...Breakfast was cold cereal, a few cookies, toast and a plate of ham and a plate of cheese. Second night's dinner was ziti pasta with tomato sauce and bread. That's it. You do get the big "lamb meat lunch" on one of your days. The wine flowed nicely...Anyway, enough about food...

After lunch we went down to the beach with our guide Santiago (awesome) to see the penguins. Oh my. Thousands of them...right at your knee caps. Babies, nests. Truly amazing and wow.

Next day in the morning we went with Santiago to see the elephant seals and again, lying right there on the beach with them. Wow. So incredible to be right there.

They have bikes and trails so you can go back to see the penguins if you like (which we did - loved them).

So...you sort of have to weigh it all out. The place is old and quaint and pretty. Food is uneven. It's in the middle of nowhere. You can't drink the water (only because it is loaded with sulfur). No water pressure. Spiders.

It's not cheap either ;)

But it's pretty darn cool and if you have the chance to be out this way...go.

You can't get a more intimate experience with the wildlife than we did anywhere else.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family