New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Cabalgata del Glaciar
London, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 203 helpful votes
“Wonderful Day, Amazing Views and Happy Memories”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Just back from over a year travelling and going though our papers happened on a card from our day out horse riding. I have to agree with everything the previous reviewer has said. It's a long time ago and it was wonderful and the memories are so good. It was my first time on a horse, there were three of us in total, I took to it naturally and even got to cantor! We shared mate before and after our riding and had a great BBQ lunch too. We also enjoyed the mini trekking and the views of the glacier. The whole area is so beautiful so don't miss this opportunity to view it all on horseback. We booked it all through our hostel, Lautaro and it worked a treat.

Visited March 2011
2 Thank geronimoturtle

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal, Canada
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Best activity in El Calafate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

I strongly recommend the horseback riding at Lago Roca. The guy responsible for the horse ridings is Luciano Cuenca, you can take a look at his website here
http://cabalgatasdelglaciar.com/. There you will find all the horse ridings he offers. I did only the Lago Roca that takes only one day, so I'll write about only this one.
Luciano picked me up in my hotel at 9AM and drove me, my wife and 3 other persons to his Estancia (farm), about 40min from El Calafate, where there he prepared the horses while we waited, talked and enjoyed our mate tea and the beautiful scenery of Patagonia. His Estancia is in a beautiful place located inside the Los Glaciares National Park (where is also the famous Perito Moreno glaciar). We rode the horses inside the Park enjoying a calm ride and the landscape. He took us up a hill where we had an incredible sight of the Perito Moreno glaciar, the mountains, the river, lake Roca and the mountains. After that we rode more until the shore of a river where Luciano prepared the meal for us. Everyone ate the good argentinian chorizo. For me and my wife, we had a delicious vegetarian meal prepared by Luciano too (you must tell Luciano before if you have any food restriction). After the Lunch we headed back to the Estancia around 3PM. Luciano then drove everyone back at their hotels.
This is a MUST do if you are in El Calafate. Luciano is a nice guy who loves what he does. The ride will give you a feel of the true patagonian spirit. This is not a mass touristic activity as the Perito Moreno minitrekking, so you can enjoy more peacefully the Patagonia.
Cheers and bon voyage!