“Very Satisfactory”

Ranked #56 of 70 Hotels in El Calafate
Buffalo, New York
“Very Satisfactory”
Reviewed 15 January 2008

My wife and I stayed at the HOJO on Calle Florida from 1/2/08 - 1/6/08. After reading some of the recent reviews, I was pretty nervous about our stay, but I am posting this review to dispute some of the things people have posted about this hotel recently. We found it to be more than adequate and a bargain considering the location and price.

First of all, its true the hotel has no direct accessibility for taxi's. Calle Florida is closed to traffic and you have to be dropped off on Ave. M. Alvear in front of Plaza San Martin. From this drop off point, its literally 200 feet to the front door of the HOJO. STOP BEING SPOILED, WHINY AMERICANS! One thing that I cannot stand is when I travel and see Americans embarrassing themselves acting like babies. Its literally a 15 second walk from the street to the front door.

We booked through Orbitz and paid $130 US per night. Other hotels in the area, such as the Marriott are twice as much. Our room was clean and comfortable. We had a nice balcony view and the location can't be beat. You are right in the middle of the action on Calle Florida. We found the staff to be very helpful. One thing that I notice when traveling is that if you treat people with decency nd courtesy, its amazing how nice they will be to you in return. There is no Wi-Fi in the rooms, however its free in the lobby, so I would sit in the lobby on my laptop and overhear people come and go at the front desk. I never experienced anyone receiving rude treatment like others have mentioned. The front desk made us reservations at two different restaurants, I'd recommend Las Narazenas, the best steak we had on the trip and only 3 blocks from the hotel.

Only negative would be that the hotel had no pool. It was 105 everyday and I could have really used a pool. No problem, the Marriott is 2 blocks away and crawling with American tourists. It was real easy to walk in and use their pool eveyday and fit right in. Its true the elevators are a bit slow and not too big, but your in one of the most gorgeous cities in the world, its an elevator, get over it. Have you ever seen elevators in Europe?

Overall, I'd return to this hotel without hesitation.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No Pool
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Melbourne
Reviewed 3 January 2008

The hotel said they would arrange for transportation from the airport
which they forgot to do. No apology. The taxi cannot drop you at the hotel as it is located on a pedestrian mall. The taxi drops you off 100 yards and out of sight of the hotel so you think you could be anywhere. If you are on your own, lots of bags, night, raining and you don't know where the hotel is etc. bad luck. The Manager shrugged his shoulders so I moved into The Waldorf Hotel, 150 yards round the corner. You can return to the Plaza for breakfast each morning as they
don't ask anybody for their room number. HAH! Please enjoy the 'photo of the Plaza's bellboy transporting my luggage to the Waldorf.

• Liked — Free breakfasts after changing hotel.
  • Disliked — inaccessibility.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these El Calafate hotels

Miami
Reviewed 2 January 2008

My family and I stayed at this hotel from Dec 25-27, 2007. We were fortunate to obtain the local Argentinian rate for our three rooms ($90.00 USD/day). The location of the hotel is fantastic as it is centrally located in the city and equidistant from all the major attractions. Florida Street is a pedestrian walkway packed with trendy stores, a mall, and tons of people during the day. The stores on Florida Street are more expensive than elsewhere in the city, but the goods are of a high quality and certainly cheaper than the States.
The staff was helpful and kind. They provided us with information on where to eat, shop, and sight see. The rooms were nothing special, but they were clean and without any problems. The staff was ill informed on at least two occasions but were nice nonetheless.
The reception area emitted an unusual and unpleasant odor for over two days and the elevator is small and uncomfortable (as are most elevators in BA). We would not stay at this hotel if we did not get the local Argentinian rate. The smaller bed and breakfast establishments in Palermo would have been more ideal if we had to do it all over again. Overall, this hotel was good for it's location. It is nothing special, but it was clean. By the way, hotel tax is 21% in Buenos Aires, so take that into account for your budget.
Btw if you want to take in a tango/dinner show in BA (highly recommended), you do not need to pay $100.00 USD per person. We paid 35$ USD/ person and had a great time and a great meal.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — smell of reception area
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 December 2007

We booked one night at the Howard Johnson on Florida street due to its location, but immediately check out following several issues. Firstly, we had just come off a plane and were in need of a shower. The hot water didn't work, and we sat around for nearly two hours waiting for someone to fix it. The minibar was also broken and full of water. Once the hotel finally confirmed it could not immediately be fixed, we were given the choice of a either a smoking room with one bed, or a non smoking room with two beds as the hotel was full. Although we looked at both, since we are non-smokers and wanted one bed, neither option was suitable. The front desk was not accomodating and refused to upgrade us. We were left with no alternative but to check out. They made no effort to deter us. We ended up checking in at the Marriott next door. Although it was considerably more expensive at twice the price, we felt confident in that it was a name we knew whose quality could be trusted. We were happy with our decision, as in our opinion the Marriott Plaza is hands down superior in every way. If you are staying on Florida Street, Marriott is the way to go. Howard Johnson is old, worn, tired, and showing its age. The beds are uncomfortable, the hotel itself is noticeably dirty, and the decor is tired and basic at best. Many of have a humdrum corporate look which is not the type of setting most people want on a vacation. All the rooms we visited were not well ventilated and smelled musty. The hotel is worn, tired, and definetly showing its age. The staff is indifferent at best. If you are just looking for a room and will not be spending a large amount of time at the hotel, than perhaps you can overlook all this and enjoy Buenos Aires for the amazing city it is nonetheless.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 21 December 2007

The staff really made me dislike my stay at this hotel. I woke up the second day of my stay here with what appeared to be several bug bites. The third day, I woke up with a few more. I decided to ask the people at the front desk if I could change rooms for the remainder of my stay just in case there were mosquitoes or fleas in my room. They were completely unreceptive-- they insisted that the rooms were clean and refused to even look to see if they had another room available. After that, they scowled every time my boyfriend and I walked by the front desk.

Additionally, the cleaning service was spotty-- sometimes they wouldnt clean certain things or replace tissues and things like that, and there was mold buildup on the shower.

• Stayed December 2007
Chicago
Reviewed 21 December 2007

The hotel was okay. It was large and mostly clean--there was some grime and mold in the bathroom. Most of the people who worked there were friendly, but there was one woman who worked there who was a complete monster. She went out of her way to be rude to us, and I have no idea why. If you avoid her you will probably be okay. The location is great if you want to spend most of your time on Calle Florida and downtown. However, if you're younger, staying in Palermo is probably a better idea, as there isn't much going on at night around the hotel. Overall, I would suggest people stay elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rocrates
Washington, DC
Reviewed 30 August 2007

We stayed for 5 days at the hotel and enjoyed each day.

1. The service was great from the time we arrived. We arrived super early since our flight came in at 6am; they accommodated us with a room 4 hours before the regular check-in time. I had some internet problems in the room and with-in 30min my internet was fixed. (Free internet)
2. The room was plenty big with a king bed, min bar, safe and a big bathroom.
3. Breakfast was excellent and good choice of cereals and fruits.
4. The location was excellent close to everything, we took a taxi to a local mall out aside of BA, and the taxi ride was only $10USD.
A major plus is the near by (3 blocks) mall that has a great food court. (Cheap)

Over all the hotel was great for the price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Ride to and from the airport
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple