“Clean the Atrium Windows!!!The Spiderwebs are HUGE!!!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix Biltmore
Ranked #52 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Seneca, South Carolina
“Clean the Atrium Windows!!!The Spiderwebs are HUGE!!!”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My son and I accompanied my husband on a business trip last week. We usually stay at Embassy Suites for family and business travel and until now have never been disappointed. This hotel was terrible and not at all in line with the standards of an Embassy Suites, or for that matter, a hotel that charges $200 a night. Before we booked and paid the nonrefundable rate , we called the hotel directly for information,but upon check-in we discovered we had received wrong information. When we tried to explain to the front desk attendant what we thought we were getting, she had an incredibly condescending attitude and kept cutting us off mid sentence, repeating the same thing over and over...."we do not have queen beds so I have put you in a room with 2 double beds...." . No attempt to apologize for the wrong information given to us, and even less attempt to hide the fact that she thought we were irritating morons. Incredibly poor customer service. We did not interact with the desk clerks after that, so this woman could have been the exception and not the rule.
The hotel is old and needs a major cleaning and remodel. The atrium is pleasant enough, but for goodness sakes, clean the windows! The 5 story windows are the focal point, but the size of the cobwebs on them are enough to make you ill, especially if you notice them while eating your breakfast! If you can see a cobweb 5 stories up and it looks like the size of Texas from the ground floor, then you know IT IS the size of Texas. And there wasn't just one, there were dozens! Yuck! The room we had was on the 4th floor overlooking the parking lot. Needs updating and cleaning. Rugs are worn, the bathroom is incredibly small, the air conditioner is noisy, and there is really no soundproofing. You can hear all the delivery trucks and the garbage truck starting at 3:00 am. You can also hear every time your neighbor flushes the toilet. If you are a light sleeper, then it will be a rough night's sleep. The plumbing is old as well, so at peak shower times, you will get scalded, then you will freeze, and then you may only get lukewarm water. Our room was not very clean. There was a large dark stain on the tile in front of the fridge, and large stains on the carpet. When we packed to leave, we checked under the bed for shoes etc. and found a disgusting mess! Goldfish crackers, food and other things that I didn't dare find out what! Again, for goodness sake, clean! The beds are on wheels so there is no excuse!
Parking costs $8 a day and it is not a secure lot. It is regular parking spaces around the hotel. There is no free wifi. It costs $14.95 a day/ per device! There is a bakery across the street with free wifi and really good smoothies and muffins.
The mall across the street is nice with some good food places like Paradise bakery, Cheesecake factory, and California Pizza.
All was not lost here though. The breakfast was great, and the women cooking the eggs, pancakes and French Toast were always pleasant, smiling and very willing to serve you. Don't forget to tip them, because they will be the best part of your stay. You will enjoy the breakfast and the coffee, just don't look up at the windows while you are eating!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank beachbabysc
Valarie24, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix Biltmore, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
It was really hard for me to read your review. However, you have made some very good points. I apologize for the condition that you found your room in. Cleanliness is completly within our control and your room should have been spotless. I would love an opportunity to speak with you personally if you have an opportunity please call me at 602-553-8179.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I assure you the atrium windows are being cleaned and we do take your feedback seriously.

Valarie Miceli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We traveled to Phoenix for our anniversary. We chose to stay at the Embassy Suites Phoenix/Biltmore, based on other reviews here on Trip Advisor. We were very pleased with our entire stay. Our daughter picked us up at the airport, as there is not shuttle service to/from the airport. We even chose NOT to rent a vehicle while we were there, as we were within walking distance to the Biltmore Shopping/Dining area. We even walked to our anniversary dinner at Christopher's ( a nice French cuisine restaurant). It was lovely...

The room was great...The first part of the room was a little "living room/dining room" that had a couch, table and chairs, and little mini fridge and microwave and sink. Beyond a door was the bathroom and the queen bed, and a sink/mirror...Beyond this area was the balcony. We were on the 4th floor, and the balcony accommodated one, maybe two chairs, but would not fit a table...One or two of the lower levels had a "full" balcony that allowed for a nice sized round table and chairs; adequate for dining. ***The only downfall of having a level lower than 4, is that the pool hours are until MIDNIGHT. Since we were able to hear people VERY well, in the pool area, late at night, I can only imagine that it would prevent, especially light sleepers and children, from sleeping at a normal hour. I would greatly comment to management to end pool hours by 10 or even 11pm, to have respect for those who would appreciate "quiet hours" at a reasonable time. :)
The staff/management/housekeeping, were ALL very kind and helpful.
The room was very clean and the room temperature was controlled by US. There was an adjustable thermostat in our room
The koi pond and greenery inside was beautiful. The pool area, trees/landscape etc. were lovely. We really enjoyed our stay here, and would go back in a moment!
We enjoyed the breakfast options, that were more than any "free" breakfast we had ever experienced, at ANY hotel! The egg omelets were FABULOUS! We were able to choose from mushrooms, tomatoes, jalapenos, cheese, spinach, onions, ham, or ALL OF THE ABOVE. Potatoes were also available with the omelets. There were many other breakfast options: pancakes, oatmeal, fresh fruit, cereal....There were also a few tables outside to enjoy the morning sun, while eating. We SO enjoyed that, each day!
The manager's reception in the early evening provided a free drink: alcoholic or otherwise, and a light snack.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our view from the 4th floor/ pool view. We could also see the mountains. The only drawb...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the very nice review. I am so glad you enjoyed your celebration with us! I appreciate your feedback and we are taking the comments about noise at the pool that we have seen here to heart. It is Embassy Suites standard that pools stay open until midnight.
Generally our guests are pretty respectfull of that area, however we are increasing our policiing of the pool area at night to ensure that guest in poolside rooms are not disturbed.

I hope that you will visit us again soon.
Fair Oaks, California
Reviewed 4 April 2012

The best part of the hotel is its location. An average embassy suites stay, unless you really enjoy lots of plants around lobby and intertwined ponds or glass elevators. Most generous breakfast that can get crowded in high season. Same with pool, no luck this time in finding a lounge chair or a towel. I did enjoy the sound of birds that made us feel in warm temperate weather again, as we came in from NW. I would stay away from pool side rooms; noise goes on till late at night; quiet time not till midnight and people screamed every night, either kids or adults on beer. We were able to drown noise by turning fan/ac in room which makes a nice steady sound.The hotel is located across street from upscale Biltmore Shopping Centre, which has plenty to see and shop, whether clothes or food and even an outdoor movie night. Although the hotel doesn't quite compare to its neighboring shopping centre, especially the lobby and common areas that haven't been remodeled for a while, (our room had). We had a comfortable suite w/ 2 convenient sinks, microwave and fridge.

Room Tip: away from pool
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate your feedback and we will use your comments to continue to improve the quality of our service delivery.

UK
Reviewed 4 April 2012

The Embassy Suites Phoenix Biltmore has a stunning lobby and atrium (see pic). We stayed 5 nights while touring Arizona. At first very annoyed over not getting our pool-view room (booked months before and confirmed 48 hours earlier, by them!), the hotel got it right for our second night and agreed to refund the cost of the first night, spent in a dingy conference-set room. Right decision and good customer relations!
The suite was large, well-equipped and had a very small balcony overlooking the pool. Some rooms had a large balcony with table and chairs - not sure how much more than our already high price you have to pay to get one of those! The pool was superb but open far too late too allow noisy people to keep us awake until midnight. Why? The hotel is some 8 miles from the (unexciting) downtown but located a 2-minute walk from the Biltmore Plaza outdoor mall with upmarket shops and expensive restaurants. Also, strangely not promoted at all, across the road (via a safe, well-lit tunnel) is a 14-screen AMC cinema with BRILLIANT dine-while-watching options. A bargain $9 for a superb leather reclining seat and table and a great food and drink menu, served at your seat. We had room service once, which was fast but mediocre. The usual Embassy Suites breakfast and manager's reception drinks/snacks were included, but marred by ridiculous queues as the evening reception bargirl struggled, with a smile, on her own to serve hundreds and the superb and easy breakfast buffet provided at the weekend was repllaced by cook-to-order only on the weekdays. This angered people for no good reason as we waited up to 45 minutes for breakfast. Why?
But for this, we would stay again.

Room Tip: Pool-view is best, but noisy.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your feedback about the lines at breakfast and comp bar and I apologize that your experience was marred by the wait times. It is our goal to provide an excellent experience all the time and I am truely sorry that we were not as prepared for the crowd as we should have been.

I do hope that you will give us another chance to demonstrate our usually high level of service. Please contact me directly if you have another opportunity to visit Phoenix.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 March 2012

After a very disappointing stay in El Paso earlier this month i was thrilled my the service, condition, and location of this hotel.

Well located for all Phoenix has to offer.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Valarie24, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix Biltmore, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you for the great review! I am so glad we were able to restore your faith in the Embassy Suites brand. I hope we will see you again soon.

New London
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I was in Phoenix for an internship interview. The airport lost my luggage, my heel broke, and the first hotel I was reserved but somehow lost my reservation sent me away...however I walked into the lobby and the young lady at the desk was fantastic. She gave me her flip flops because I had to find a mall ASAP. She told me where to go for all the good deals and even offered her lunch to me. This hotel is all about customer service! My one night stay turned into a three day stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelerofStars
Thank you very much for the great review! I am so glad that we were able to help out after you had such a difficult time traveling to Phoenix. Our staff really is dedicated to deliver excellent service and I am so proud that they made your day.

I hope to see you again soon.

Argentina
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Our reservation said 2 bedroom suite. They gave us room 545, a one bedroom suite with 2 beds and a sofa bed. When complied about the 2 bedroom suite they said that they call it 2 bedroom because it has a bedroom and a living room (????).
Our room was facing some kind of engine that didn't stop working all night long, and it was like sleeping inside an helicopter because of the noise.
They don't have safe in the rooms, so you have to leave your stuff on a safe at the front desk. That shows how oudated is the hotel.
The lobby of the hotel looks nice, and the breakfast is good, but the room is relly outdated and they lie about the 2 bedroom suite.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms that face the back side of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank BRLArgentina
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I am very sorry about the misunderstanding about our rooms. We do advertise that we have two room suites. That is because each suite has a separate bedroom and living room. Some Embassy Suites do have a few suites with two bedrooms, but unfortunately ours does not.

If you have an opportunity, I would love to talk with you about your stay. Please call my direct line at 602-615-2541.