All reviewsirish pub next doorrooftop poolheart of downtowngreat downtown locationlight railenjoyed my stayice machinearena
Reviewed June 14, 2017

I prefer hotels that have a little character and boy did I hit the jackpot. If you prefer a large hotel room with a modern touch, this is not for you. If you understand that hotels of that era were much simpler than the newer hotels of today, you'll love Hotel San Carlos. The staff was both pleasant and professional, the bed was comfortable and the room, albeit small, was well equipped with everything I needed. Best of all, the location was conveniently close to everything I needed to see. Whenever I am in Phoenix, I will definitely return!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Angela H, General Manager at Hotel San Carlos, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2017

Dearest Guest!

Thank you for business and the time while sharing your experience with other travelers.
We are anxiously looking forward to your next arrival.

Reviewed June 13, 2017

Charming at first glance. We were given what I suspect was the smallest queen room in the place. Bathroom was barely big enough to turn around in. No towel bars! Carpet was dirty. Didn't use the pool but it looked very nice and clean. Biggest complaint is a night clerk who asked for my credit card for collateral for our use of the valet key to self park! Loved the neighborhood and the pub next door! Also several eating places around the area looked good but we didn't have time to try them all!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol H

Dear Carol!

Thank you for your time and the review. We are very sorry that booked a list expensive room and therefore, smallest room. Regardless, we do upgrade the room especially during the summar when we are slow. We really apologize for that.

I hope you can give us another chance.

Best Regards,
Angela

Reviewed May 21, 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the San Carlos for 3 nights while attending a conference. The staff were really friendly and the hotel itself looks great from the outside with some great touches on the inside with pictures describing the history of the hotel and Phoenix itself.

However the down side. My room while having a comfy bed had no air conditioning to speak of, with the hotel having a single system dating back a long time!

The bathroom was incredibly small, with it being almost impossible to dry yourself when getting out of the shower without having to go into the main room.

Overall, I wanted this kitch hotel to be better but. Was not up to standard.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Tim M

Thank you and looking forward to see you again.

Reviewed May 16, 2017 via mobile

I 100% loved everything about the hotel, the staff was great and the history and detail of the hotel was amazing. I also loved the amazing view of downtown and having the bank right across! And also the pool was amazing and loved the way it was all set up! Thank you, want to stay there again!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 16, 2017

I have been in Downtown Phoenix on several occasions and had always wanted to stay at the Hotel San Carlos. I finally had the chance and booked a business stay. The room itself was a bit on the small side, as I had to squeeze between the bed and TV to get to one side of the room. However, my biggest disappointment was the amount of sound that traveled between my room and the next room. I could hear clear conversations as if they were in my room, not the usual muffled voices typical of in poorly insulated walls. I called the front desk after being awakened at about 12:30 am to complain about the noise. They said they would send a security guard to ask the guests in the room next door to be quiet.

The front desk attendant said he could put me in a different room; however, I was already in bed and didn't want to switch rooms in the middle of the night, so I said I would be checking out in the morning. After the conversation, I booked a room at a different hotel for the next night and tried to go back to sleep. Next thing I know, I was awakened by the noisy security guard sent up by the front desk. I could clearly hear his conversation on his radio.

After a night of very little sleep, I made it to the very small shower and checked out in the morning. Little did I know I would be charged an additional $50 for an early checkout. This was a first for me. Nothing was said the night before when I spoke to the front desk attendant and said I would be checking out. I was at a disadvantage at this point since I either had to pay the deposit at a new hotel or the $50 early checkout at this hotel. This seems like a very poor business practice to not mention a $50 early checkout fee when I stated I would be checking out early. The $50 seemed like the penalty I had to pay for making the mistake of booking and staying at this dive.

This had to be the worst hotel experience I ever encountered.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business