“Unique little place!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
North Carolina
“Unique little place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

After staying at a variety of hotels in the Phoenix area, my husband and I decided to give The Clarendon a try. The price is right in comparison to many of the large hotel chains found in downton Phoenix and it seemed unique. I found the front desk staff very helpful and friendly. We're from the south, so we like friendly! There is plenty of parking just beside the hotel and it is free! The rooms were exactly as expected with a cool, retro vibe. They were clean and had plenty of extras - great wireless internet access, a small refrige, 4 complimentary bottles of water daily, a Keurig coffemaker. We booked a standard hotel room, but upon arrival decided to upgrade to a room that included a small sitting area with a couch and chair. This was a good move and we enjoyed the extra space. We ate dinner at Gallo Blanco on Saturday night and it was amazing! My husband said that it was the best Carne Asada Burrito he'd ever had...and it was HUGE! We had a variety of tacos (Pork belly was the speciail of the night) and also tried the guacamole/chips appetizer along with a very unique appetizer called Elote Callejero - this was AWESOME! We found the food and the drinks to be excellent and would easily eat there again. We also spent several hours at the pool. It is a very pretty and colorful area with restaurant/bar service if you so desire. (It is not on the roof as the picture on line seems to infer.) I learned during my time at the pool that The Clarendon allows non-hotel guests to use the pool for $5. This may be the reason why the pool area was very crowded and chairs were in short supply. It may not be the best environment for relaxation or kids, but it was fine for us and we appreciated the cool water after a very hot day. My only other experience at The Clarendon was at the 'fitness center'. If you are really into working out and expect to have a typical hotel workout experience, this will be a disappointment for you. Given the beautiful work done to the hotel and the interest in unique, boutique hotels, this is an area of opportunity for The Clarendon. The fitness room consists of 4 very old and very tired machines, 2 of which were unusable during our stay. This is an easy fix and one that would boost the experience. Fortunately, the morning was beautiful and we decided to walk instead. One final note for sports fans, the TVs in the rooms apparently do not carry any sports so we missed a couple of NBA finals games and the Preakness. I think the TV in the bar did have the game on, so it was available just no in the room. Overall, our experience was delightful and a good value for the price. It is certainly a little gem in the city and I would recommennd that you try it at least once!

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lewarrick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

Just a short stay overnight so we did not partake in the awesome pool/spa area, or go tomtje restaurant or bar. All seemed popular and amazing, despite the party feel, our junior suite was very quiet, the bed and linens were nice, and I liked the overall look and feel of the space. We have already decided that all our overnight stops in Phoenix will be at the Clarendon,.

Room Tip: The website was helpfully, but the staff is cool AND helpful, I say, ask the pros! They know.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Llashem03
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

I was a guest at The Clarendon for a wedding and I had an excellent stay. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful; they were able to provide me everything I needed, including snacks! The housecleaning staff were efficient and kind; I do not like to have my room cleaned often, but the day that I did, they were in and out super quickly and did a great job. The room was very comfortable, and in particular the bed was lovely. The rooftop patio is amazing, and the pool deck/lounge area is gorgeous. I had to do work while I was visiting, and the setup at the pool, as well as the free WiFi, made it perfect for relaxing and working in comfort.

There are a number of small touches around the hotel, like quirky art, free water available in the rooms and at the front desk, and of course gold fish at the front desk! I loved the ambience and décor of the hotel, and somehow it made me feel like the Rat Pack should be walking around. The quirkiness and uniqueness of the hotel is what really sold it for me.

I don't find myself in Phoenix often, but would definitely stay there again if given the opportunity. The hotel provided a unique experience during my friend's wedding.

If you are a first-time guest, note that the hotel lobby, lounge/restaurant, and pool are high traffic. There are a lot of visitors hanging out, especially on the weekends and at the pool. They are not hotel guests, it just seems like a popular hangout. This was unexpected for me, and was rather intense, and just a tiny bit stressful.

Room Tip: If you need WiFi access, ask for a room that is not in one of the back corners.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank bcbray
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

This boutique hotel has a great fun pool deck and rooftop patio for watching the sunset over the mountains as well as a fabulous restaurant onsite with creative "not the run of the mill" food

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the pool deck can be a little loud
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Pam S
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

What an amazing little gem of a place!
Found this place on a whim - had no reservations and got a decent rate.
This is another fine example of how an older hotel is revamped into something hip & new!
Each room is decorated with an eye for design & detail. Very clean & modern.
The hotel has a way cool glittery elevator too.. Everything is done right here!
Staff was very helpful. If you are there to sleep, make sure to opt for a room not directly over the pool. If you're a history buff, you'll appreciate reading about the history of this hotel which is documented on the wall, just between the lobby and bar.
Restaurant has great food too.
Convenient location if you need to be close to the airport.

Room Tip: Depends on what you are there for. If quiet is important, don't stay over the pool. If this is...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Berkeley CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I was coming to Phoenix for work, and found the Clarendon online. It looked original and fun. I was not disappointed -- in fact, my three day stay far exceeded my expectations. The rooms were beautifully renovated with style (not your average hotel room), and the beds were wonderful. I had two lunches at the restaurant, which was outstanding (i could see why the restaurant and bar were constantly populated by a lively crowd). The pool was delightful, and lovely to look out on from the room. Perhaps the best part of the Clarendon was the staff: friendly, down-to-earth, always looking for the next thing to do to make the guests' stay more pleasant. I can't wait for my next stay at the Clarendon!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business