“Beautiful and relaxing”

Ranked #12 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Corrales, New Mexico
“Beautiful and relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed at the Marriott Canyon Villas February 9 through February 13, 2012. This Marriott property is absolutely beautiful. Although it seems to be in the middle of a very busy city, it is an oasis. The grounds are immaculate and appear to be trimmed with nail scissors. The little bunnies on the green lawns in early morning and early evening were so peaceful. Our room/condo was, as usual with Marriott, spotless and welcoming. We couldn't have asked for anything nicer!
Just down the street was a large shopping area with lots of great restaurants and shops, many new to us. It was fun investigating them! And north of the villas is Cave Creek which was a delightful afternoon of walking and exploring.
The temperature in February was perfect - about 65 degrees with lots of sun.
Brian, the concierge, although new was very helpful. Always cheerful, as all the staff was, and looking out for our interests.
Great stay!! Will definitely come again and again!

Room Tip: We were in unit 33, facing the pool. There was a delightful splash of water that was calming and pe...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank 2go4world

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Grosse Ile, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

We checked in yesterday and spent today exploring Canyon Villas and the JW Marriott next door. Staff at both are very friendly and helpful. Ate at the Marriott and were able to charge it to our room at the Villas. Several pools, hot tubs, and restaurants are available with a free shuttle between the two resorts that runs every half hour. My husband and I have a one bedroom suite with kitchen - lots of room and two televisions. Great place for long walks. We don't want to leave!

Room Tip: We are on the first floor facing the golf course south of us and we are pleased. Upper floors may h...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Loves_snorkeling_7
Peabody, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

My extended family and I visited Canyon Villas and we had a great time. There were 12 of us and we had two 2 bedroom units. The units are beautiful. They have everything you need if you want to save money on meals. The pools are gorgeous. The property is well maintained. The staff is great.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank luv2travel01960
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

We spent a week here in January and found the facilities very relaxing.

These are vacation villas adjacent to a golf course and across from a large JW Marriott Hotel. Guests staying at the Villas can use the large pool and facilities at the hotel, but there is no need to.....as there are several pools and hot tubs on the Villas property, as well as workout equipment.

The main hotel has a number of restaurants, but there are many restaurants within a mile. These include the usual fast food places and larger restaurants (Macaroni Grill, B&Js, Dave & Busters, California Pizza Kitchen, just to name a few). There are also food stores (Albertsons and Safeway), drug stores (CVS & Walgreens), and department stores (Kohls, Ross, Barnes and Noble,etc) within a few miles.

The rooms of the Villas are clean and comfortable. Noise from the outside and adjoining units are minimal.....reasonable quiet.

The staff were friendly and helpful. They have an orientation program on Mondays that introduce guests to activities on the property and with vendors that can take you on guided tours.

The Phoenix metropolitan area offers many things to do. They have a number of nice museums (Heard, Phoenix Art Museum, etc.) and a very nice Botanical garden. There are number of national and state parks that be seen on a day trip....even the Grand Canyon on a long day trip. There are a number of hiking trails within the Phoenix city limits as well.

It had been a few years since we had visited the Phoenix area.....and we wondered why we waited to so long to come back. This was a nice place to stay and we'd certainly consider it again soon.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Optoko
Ciudad de México, México
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

We are a family of four and Marriott Vacation owners at Grande Vista - Orlando, FL., That is why we interchange very often with other Marriott properties. In this case, I was disappointed because the property does not have tennis courts or even a better pool. (By the way, the week of 12/11/11, when we arrived, the pool was closed). The JW is very close but you need to walk or drive. I rather like to have all these in the same place. It's a shame.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Darthy
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

This Marriott vacation villa has a deal with the JW Marriott on the same property. Guests here can use the amenities over THERE. That's the problem. It's over THERE. The towels have the same color so you don't feel like a lowly cousin. However, we had to carry all our stuff over THERE and cut the stay short to come back and get lunch. THEY have the lazy river and the slide. We have a couple of small pools and according to my son, the largest jacuzzi with a waterfall that he's ever seen. The two properties combined is quite nice. But it is a trek to get to the lazy river.

Room Tip: Get the buildings by the pool. There's not much going on here.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank BettyKR
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

This was my 3rd visit to the Marriott Canyon Villas near Desert Ridge, staying each time as time-share exchangers or on a promotional package.

Overall, I like the facility, although some amenities and service issues could be better.
Main pool area is nice and has a variety of sitting areas, although depending on where you stay in the resort getting there means either you have to cross multiple parking lots or simply walk along paths, which of course is more preferrable.

A nice "quiet pool" lies on the far edge of the property; it's a smaller area and is more of an expanded, free-form spa than a pool; no deep end, not enough room to swim but larger than the typical round hot tub. It was much more relaxing there than at the main pool where it can tend to get crowded and noisy.

Regarding technology, their WiFi AND guest computer terminals in the lobby were down for 3 days; I deliberately like to travel light and therefore if a reputable hotel and resort has its own business center or computers, I'm going to take a chance and leave my own equipment at home or in the office. I'll use theirs instead of taking my laptop or have to rely on my smart-phone. Lesson learned: even in a good facility such as this tech problems can occur, which they did. Note to self - and others: bring your own so you're not without that medium of communication if you were depending on it.

Inside my guestroom, the functionality of the TV remote was a joke. Buttons were sticky, many simply didn't even transmit a signal. I should've asked for a better working one, but by the 3rd I was so frustrated with that and their computers being down I just gave up.

Another issue had to do with service. Being a timeshare owner (not in the Marriott family0 I successfully exchanged into the Canyon Villas. My stay was in the middle of October, not exactly peak season like Jan-March, or through Spring Break, which to us Northern Mid-Westerners, goes into the 2nd week of April. I called the Canyon Villas directly a week ahead of my stay and asked about the possibility of obtaining a larger 1-BR instead of the smaller one I had exchanged into. I received a very curt response of "No, we're absolutely full."

OK, I can buy that. I can also completely accept the limitations of my exchange. The only problem I had was that once I got there, the place was half-empty. If the hostess answering the phone the day I called would've taken the time to simply explain their policy of limiting exchangers only into smaller units, I could've accepted that as an honest, professional response.

I remember thinking once I was there: if this facility is full, it means alot of people must've walked here or taken cabs from the airport, because some buildings on the grounds had NO cars in their dedicated parking lots.

But to get there and find that her response was just one of convenience and untrue, it did leave alot to be desired as to Marriott's integrity.

In thinking about it, whether or not I was in the large or small unit, it's arguably the same maintenance costs on their end: I'm going to use the same amount of linens, towels and soap regardless of which size unit I'm going to stay in.

The units themslves are nice enough, although Marriott could take a page or two from Westin, Hilton or others when it comes to updating room decor. Interesting to note that as a Marriott member (hotels, not the timeshare division) I've stayed in newer Marriott Residence Inns which had nicer interiors than at the Canyon Villas.

I still like the Canyon Villas, especially for its north central Phoenix location and the JW Desert Ridge, which is right "next door". It's worth it to walk over there for "happy hour" and to tour their beautifult property as well.

Room Tip: Go with the buildings in the "20s"; they're not as crowded and are easier walks to poo...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo