“Not as bad as everyone says”

Super 8 Phoenix Metro North
Ranked #132 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Not sure if there was a miraculous turn around after other people wrote really negative reviews but there was really nothing wrong with this hotel. You should know there are no frills about a Super 8. The area the hotel in was not as bad as people say. When I arrived the whole area seemed fairly clean and decent. I didnt see any homeless or possible criminals either. My room was spacious and very clean. Was a non-smoking room and it seems they kept it that way. Staff was very pleasant when I checked in and checked out. My only mistake was using a "bidding website". I would have gotten a better rate booking straight from the Wyndham website.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Bryon M
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Phoenix Metro North

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Only stayed here because it's close to my in-laws, but I was really concerned about my safety at night! Went over to the K-Mart next door to get a steering wheel lock. Breakfast was cold cereal and danishes. Pool was okay for the kids. There's other places at about the same price that would be better.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Chizzi
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I tend to be a relaxed traveler on a low budget so I dont expect anything fancy...but this dump was the pits, probably the worst hotel I've stayed in for over 30 years.The room itself was filthy,there where toe nail clippings on the floor and the furinture looked like it was dragged from the city dump.I think some bad event occured in the room since the door seemed to have been beaten on by a hammer or club and a quick,poorly done and cheap repair had been done to a hole punched in the bathroom door.The free wifi should have been free since it did not work, so I can't comment on the hi speed aspect.Sharing a parking lot with a open all night K-mart means a lot of noise,traffic and people just sort of hanging out.The staff seemed bored to death and the free all star breakfast was not available.I filled out a how was your experience e-mail from super (aint) with all this info and got a sweet gee sorry our hotel sucks and does not provide promised services but we hope you will choose us again.Avoid this hole at all costs and I would also avoid super (aint) in general.

Room Tip: None in this dump
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Dwayne N
Reviewed 4 April 2011

do not, do not stay here! surly staff, frequent police visits, dirty rooms. do not honor reservation requests. if there isa rating lower than one star, this place gets it.

Room Tip: just don't go
Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coachbob
Reviewed 19 February 2011

The biggest problem with this hotel is that we did not feel safe here. There were many seedy looking people that appeared to be living at the place. They didn't appear to be the average tourist and just hung out, watching other people. At night, a security guard patroled the place, but there were still loud obscenity filled arguments, thrown bottles, gunning engines and loud music all through the night. We dead bolted our door and hoped for the best.

The room was supposed to be non-smoking, but smelled of smoke. There were cigarette burns in the furniture and blanket. The room was reasonably clean, but run down.

The price advertised on the sign out front was $20 dollars or so less than what we paid through hotels.com, which was also non-refundable.

I do have to say that the staff was very pleasant and helpful, but the look on the faces of some of the other tourists checking in reminded me of a deer caught in the headlights. I think they were scared to stay here too.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank rimrock59
Reviewed 17 December 2010

Let me start by saying that I am a very laid back person. I have traveled a lot and have stayed in Super 8's, Motel 6's and other hole in the wall motels. I was on vacation with a friend and took the airport shuttle to Super 8 (fyi, the shuttle is GREAT). I had paid and reserved the room online, so I ran to the front desk, checked in and got my key(s). Our room was on the 2nd floor, basically in the middle. Upon arrival to the room, I placed my bag down and unpacked my things into the drawers and hung up pants, etc. I then ran to the bathroom. The tub was filthy with hair and soap scum, and the toilet had not been cleaned. There was used and nasty toilet paper stuck in the seat. I then left the bathroom and looked at my sheets which were stained with blood or something. I called the front desk and asked if they could have someone come up and clean the room. They said they would, and offered a different room. I declined because I had already unpacked and told them I'd rather just have the room cleaned and be confident that it had been done. I waited over 45 min for someone. I called the front desk again and asked if I could just clean my own room and use their supplies. The woman told me that they couldn't let me do that and that someone would be up shortly. 25 minutes later a woman did show up and asked me what the problem was. I walked her through the room and showed her the filth all over the place. I asked for new sheets. She then handed me the cleaning products. I told her that the woman downstairs told me I could not use them. She said it was fine, so I set forth cleaning the entire room and changing my sheets. From then on, the staff treated my friend and I poorly and when I attempted to speak to the manager about all of this, he shrugged it off like it was nothing. I gave him a speech on customer service and that if someone is paying for certain services, they should be done. And that it was pathetic that I ended up having to clean my own room because of the lack of customer service there was.
We stayed for seven days. Our third night in, the guests in the room next to ours were making all kinds of noise ALL NIGHT. I called front desk and told them. Nothing happened. The next night the same guests ended up having the police come to their room and two people got arrested. The remainder of the nights, we had many guests go through that room next to ours, all of them loud and obnoxious. Not surprising as this hotel is in the GHETTO. The K-Mart in the adjoining parking lot had a shooting two nights before we arrived in AZ which I had seen on the news while there.
The staff was not even knowledgeable about things to do in the area. I have been to Phoenix many times and was looking to try something new. They just pointed me to the brochure stand. My car rental woman was more helpful than the hotel staff, and she didn't even live in the area!
Their claim to have great WIFI was a scam. My friend who was with me is a computer tech nerd and experienced issues on a regular basis even finding a connection.
One good thing was the pool. It was kept clean and everything. The chairs were broken and old, but other than that, there was a clean pool and hot tub.

Overall, while it was a place to sleep, there are much better options than putting yourself in this type of situation. I usually just keep my mouth shut and go with the flow, as I understand all of us have our bad days and sometimes things just aren't the way we'd like them, but the staff, service, and services at this motel were atrocious.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank catinlove87
Reviewed 11 March 2010

I would like to preface this by saying, whenever I travel, if there is a Super-8 conveniently located, I stay there. I so far have not had a bad Super-8 experience.
This one is no exception. Located right off I-17, easy to find and get to. The front desk staff was friendly, helpful, and very cool. Even when I inadvertently ended up thinking the Motel 6 next door was also their building and went to the wrong room, they laughed it off and were very nice about it when I came back and complained, and they had to explain my mistake.
The room smelled wonderful and was spotless! A huge plus with me!
Plenty of clean towels, soap, shampoo, coffee for the coffeemaker supplied. Easy access to the WiFi connection. When I returned to my room the following day, the room had been cleaned but none of my things were out of order.
The Kmart within walking distance is a bonus, for those "oops" things that travelers tend to forget, as well.
My only complaint would be the continental breakfast - some coffee, a pitcher of apple juice, a toaster and loaf of bread, two kinds of cereal and a jug of milk. Lucky for me I was not counting on the breakfast, as the conference I was attending down the street had a wonderful spread.
Check-out was a breeze and again, the front desk staff was very friendly.
Very pleased!