“Good business hotel in odd location”

Courtyard Phoenix Camelback
Ranked #51 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Chicago
“Good business hotel in odd location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

This hotel is a nicely remodeled Courtyard with a strong staff. The lobby is great for getting work done: comfortable booths with individual TVs, separate work stations to print documents, etc. They have Starbuck's coffee, wine/beer and good food in the lobby. I really enjoyed my stay once I got beyond the front door. It is the location that I did not like. This hotel is at the end of an aging strip mall surrounded by office buildings and several blocks away from the mall. There is really nothing in the neighborhood that I felt that I could walk to alone at night. The parking is off to the side of the building with no visibility to the front door. As I generally arrived quite late and departed before dawn, it was always dark outside and the parking situation kind of "creeped me out" as my kids would say. Finally, the price was exceptionally high during the time I was there, likely because of the events in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
jamie_hill, General Manager at Courtyard Phoenix Camelback, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Hello from the Phoenix Camelback Courtyard by Marriott.

I want to thank you for taking the time to complete a survey on our hotel regarding your most recent visit. I understand how important time is to all today and we appreciate your feedback.

I want to thank you for the kind words you've shared regarding our hotel and the experience you were able to have while visiting the Phoenix area. I'm happy to share with you that the Town & Country Center is wrapping up it's portion of their renovation that is adjacent to our hotel and we are looking forward to seeing Nordstrom Rack moving in next to us. I can only hope that this upgrade to the center will change the feel of your initial drive in. This will also assist with the feel of an abandoned store within the center.

If I can be of any service to you in the future with your travels coming into the Phoenix area, please feel free to contact me at your convenience and I look forward to seeing you in one of our Marriott products in the future.

Jamie Hill
602-293-2020

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

We had to attend a birthday dinner near the property and it was perfect for what we needed. The entrance was a little awkward coming in off of Camelback, but the guy at checkin was really nice and helpful. The beds were SO comforable that we are thinking of purchasing one from Marriott. The room was very small, but we were only in the room for a few hours. The lobby looked great and very modern.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
jamie_hill, Manager at Courtyard Phoenix Camelback, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Hello from Phoenix,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on our hotel and it's services we were able to offer you on your recent visit to Phoenix. I greatly appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to do so.

I'm happy to say that the center is soon to be complete with the construction outside of our hotel doors that have had an impact on our guest experience. Here at the hotel, we are excited to see the new Nordstrom Rack building soon to move into the center.

If I can be of any assistance to you upon your next visit to the Phoenix area, please feel free to contact me at your convenience. All the best and thank you again for choosing Marriott.
menlo park
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

I've stayed here several times over the years, and loved it. But for some reason, the place does not have WiFi in rooms anymore. I checked out early. Too bad. It used to be a great hotel. Now, it's a waste of money.

Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mac k
jamie_hill, General Manager at Courtyard Phoenix Camelback, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Hello from Phoenix,

I wanted to reach out to you to personally thank you for taking the time in your busy schedule to complete a survey on our hotel and it's services. We greatly appreciate all feedback received as we use them to communicate not only to our staff the things we are doing well, but also the areas of opportunities we have to improve.

I apologize that we were not able to meet your needs of having wireless internet access within your room for you to take advantage of. This is actually a feature that we are in the process of adding to our hotel and look forward to this upcoming date. As of today, we've only had access via a wired connection within the rooms, however, there were a few that were able to connect to the wireless based on the location of the room to our lobby zone. In the near future, each of our rooms will have this feature.

I hope that you will not utilize your most recent experience with our hotel as a deciding factor upon your next visit to the Phoenix area. I do hope that we get the opportunity to service you in the future. If I can ever be of assistance to you with any upcoming hotel needs in the Phoenix area, I hope that you feel confident enough to reach out to me at your convenience regarding. I thank you for choosing Marriott and hope to have the opportunity to service you again in the future. All the best!

Jamie Hill
Phoenix Camelback Courtyard by Marriott
602-293-2020
Windsor, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

This hotel is in a great location. Very easy on and off to the highways. There is a construction area in the front of the hotel but the renovations to the hotel itself are complete. Our room faced the back and we heard no construction noise at all. You could tell that it has just recently been redone. Everything from carpet to furnishings was very new. Just behind the hotel is a strip mall (Town and Country) with a Trader Joe's and it's very convenient to walk over to buy some fruit for breakfast etc. A great secondhand clothing store called My Sister's Closet is there as well.
Approximately 3 tenths of a mile from the hotel is a McCormick and Schmick's restaurant with a great happy hour menu. Food prices start at $1.95 and I had a hamburger with fries for only $2.95 and it was very good.
The pool area has a hot tub and was nice although due to the surrounding buildings and trees it doesn't get as much sun as I would like.
This is a nice Courtyard in a great location and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the book to avoid any possible construction noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Friend, Nebraska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

The best way to describe this hotel is, you can dress up a 90 year old woman with make-up and new clothes, and try to make her look 30, but she still is a 90 year old woman!

The hotel has been renovated, but the rooms still are outdated by their layout. You have to close the bathroom door in order to use the restroom, and the toliet paper holder is right in your lap.

The rooms are very noisy as you can hear everything in everyone elses room.

I have stayed at many Courtyards and this one ranks among the worst!

Room Tip: Just don't choose one at this hotel!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

This Courtyard has a great location and great newly renovated rooms and soon to be lobby. I stayed here for 4 nights and had a good night's rest every night. The property on the outside is a bit scary looking if you come in at night due to the fact of all of the construction equipment and work being done on the hotel.

When we first arrived at the hotel we could not figure out exactly where to park because the parking to the side of the hotel does not specifically say COURTYARD parking or hotel parking, but we parked there anyways and grabbed our stuff, the only thing that was a bit disappointing was dragging our luggage through the bushes to get to the "lobby" (which is in a side location due to the renovation, which I was warned about prior with an email from the general manager and knew when I booked it as well). Upon check in (which was late evening about 11pm due to late arrival at Sky Harbor). The front desk agent said that they had no King rooms available for our stay. In which I booked this hotel stay back in March of 2011 and our stay was in September of 2011 so not quite sure as to why they did not know that I had requested and reserved a King Size room. The front desk employee seemed flustered and did not know exactly what to do, he offered to upgrade us to a "Suite with Doubles" per having my Marriott Rewards number on file with the hotel. I decided to take this since again it was an upgrade for the same price, but was disappointed since I had booked this stay well in advance.

The room itself was a suite with two double beds in a separate room within the room, the room overlooked the pool/courtyard area and had a small "balcony" overlooking the pool from the sitting area of the room. The bathroom itself was rather tiny compared to other Courtyard properties but it did the job as does any bathroom at a hotel. The beds in the room were comfortable being the newly upgraded mattresses with the new Courtyard makeover, but were quite tight and not extremely comfortable to sleep on one bed for two people when your used to a King size bed for two.

The area the hotel is in, is near the Biltmore Fashion Mall (the ritzy mall of that area with a Cheesecake Factory and high end shops), but in the same parking lot as the hotel there is a Chili's and across the street is a Frey's Grocery Store (bought drinks at the grocery store and stored them in the room's mini fridge quite a money saver if you ask me over the hotel soda machines).

All in all I would stay at this property again, and am staying at it for one night in Dec 2011, at this time I am aware the hotel will be done with the renovation and will be a brand new Courtyard as to being the new model for Courtyard Hotels (stayed in a few and they are quite nice!). But on the other hand a bit disappointed with the room being not the one that I requested and reserved.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard/pool are are quite nice and most have balconies.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Monteverde, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

A typical Marriott hotel. Almost all Courtyards have the same room setup and same amenities. Expect soft comfartable beds and a good room layout.
This Courtyard is located along the east Camelback/Biltmore district. Close to the Biltmore Fashion park, great places to eat, and close to the 51 freeway.
The hotel is undergoing a renovation at the moment.

It appears that outside the hotel is also undergoing a large renovation. The northeast side of the Town and Country shopping center is being torn down and the boarded up Mexican place and recently torn down steak house and being flattened for some type of new construction. Be aware that these projects appear to be just starting as of October 2011 and will be ongoing. They are immediately adjacent to the Marriott so expect noise and congestion with the ongoing construction.

Room Tip: Poolside room on the first floor allows a short walk to the pool right outside your door.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank supaihiker
jamie_hill, General Manager at Courtyard Phoenix Camelback, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
I wanted to contact you to thank you for completing a review on our hotel in regards to your most recent visit with us at the Camelback Courtyard by Marriott. I greatly appreciate your feedback.
I'm glad you were able to see the start of our renovation for our hotel and I can only hope that you'll be able to see our finished product in the near future as we are converting areas to give our guests such as yourself new refreshing experiences with our Courtyard.
If I can ever be of assistance to you, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.