“OK Hotel With Thin Walls”

Hampton Inn Phoenix/Scottsdale at Shea Blvd
Ranked #52 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I am regular Hampton Inn customer as this is my regular hotel chain for business travel. This hotel was one of the more dissapointing ones that I have stayed at. The walls must have been very thin or poorly insulated because I was able to hear my neighbors and noise from the hallway. This hotel is older, but was still very clean and in relatively good shape. The complimentary breakfast buffet was well stocked and was perfectly good for breakfast. The breakfast area was clean and in good shape.

The hotel was relatively expensive/overpriced for a Hampton Inn considering that the rooms were nothing special and the walls thin. I am sure that the high price is because ths hotel is in the Scottsdale area and it was high season for vacationers. I would most likely not stay at this particular Hampton Inn again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not on the first floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Harold028
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Phoenix/Scottsdale at Shea Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Thank you very much for your loyalty to the Hampton brand, and for sharing your recent experience. I'm sorry you were disturbed by noise, and hope you will accept my sincere apologies. If there is anything we can do to regain your business, please contact me directly at kenjacobs@zmchotels.com. I hope you will consider giving us another chance the next time you are in Scottsdale.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

You know, its not the Ritz, but is IS a comfortable, clean room. And I am a stickler for clean. The breakfast has great options and was fresh. Even fresh cut fruit! Yeah! We needed a roll away and they were able to accommodate that for us as well-- really helps with keeping costs down when you have 3 kiddos on an extended trip. I love that they wash the comforters--- this is a huge ick factor for me in other chains. Really, a very nice option. Additionally, my daughter left a stuffed animal there, and they are actually sending it to us! Crisis averted!! Thank goodness for the hospitality staff that saved it for us. Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Phoenix/Scottsdale at Shea Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments and rating. I am glad you and your family were happy with the service and accommodations we provide, and that your daughter was able to get her doll back without incident. We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 8 February 2012

We usually like to stay at Hampton Inns. They're usually pretty nice for the price, and the free waffles for breakfast are a treat. We stayed two nights at this place (2/3-2/5). The property is in overall good shape, but it has a dated feel with older furniture and finishes. The bed was a little soft for my taste. I can recommend it, but the rate was a little steep for it's age, probably due being the Phoenix Open golf tournament weekend. We didn't use the pool. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Phoenix/Scottsdale at Shea Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your recent stay. I'm sorry you found the bed too soft, it is a very personal thing. We do have major renovations planned for later this year and I hope you will come back and like what you see. The only thing we won't change is our friendly staff :).

Reviewed 28 January 2012

I stayed the week of 01/19/2012 during the classic car auctions.
The property appears to originality be a 1970's motel. Two floors with a courtyard pool. At the back of the property there is a detached section , where my room was. It is also two floors and approximately 30 rooms. This section has a "exit" door in your room to a little concrete patio facing the pool. During warmer months this is probably useful. The fitness room is also here. I assume this section was added at some point. But certainly not new by the popcorn ceilings and cracked plastic shower walls.
The staff was very friendly and even though older property it was very clean. No complaints there.

The location is very good because you're about equal distance from West world and old town/fashion square.

The best reason staying here, was the free courtesy shuttle to and from West world. This was very much appreciated as was the free breakfast.
The other guest were mostly older so there was no partying and loud ruckus going on. However outside my room was the mechanical room from the main building. The noise was VERY annoying. I did not complain because they were completely sold out this week. Also the plumbing was pretty loud. One employee of Coker Tire was so disturbed by the plumbing he told the front desk he will sleep in his car...

In summery, I would not take your bride here for your honeymoon.. It is not the Hilton or even the Marriott. But during this week the hotels double and triple the rate to gouge the customers. Free enterprise right ? So while the $249 was high for an $89 room. The shuttle and breakfast made up for it. I will likely stay here again next year.

Room Tip: Don't stay around 176-166 unless you want to hear the mechanical room all night.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank lonestrtravelr
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Phoenix/Scottsdale at Shea Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2012

I'm sorry you were disturbed by mechanical and plumbing noise here during your recent visit, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I hope you will be pleased with our planned renovations when you stay with us again next.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

We like Hampton Inns and this one was better than usual. Despite being a little older facility, it is well maintained. The staff was very nice - all of them! The outside pool area was great - even in January - a nice warm hot tub and pool. Very clean and no chlorine smell! We were there for Barrett Jackson and the hotel ran a free shuttle to the auction entrance every hour with pickups at the auction every half hour to come back to the hoel. It worked out great, saved us the hassle of parking a car in the HUGE parking area at the arena, and we didn't need to rent a car. Th City of Scottsdale also ran a free trolley down to Old Town every half hour with a stop right in front of our hotel on Scotsdale- very convenient! Breakfast was very complete, albeit crowded as the hotel was sold out. They also had the typical but always yummy warm cookies in the evening as well as some hot snacks (like wings) which was a nice touch. The taxi to the PHX airport is $45 one way. Since the Blue Shuttle is about $21/person, the taxi was a great deal for two people and easier to do. Marconi's is right next door to the hotel which was good. Overall, this hotel turned out to be a very convenient, and relatively cheap place to stay, in expensive Scottsdale during a peak period for them. P.S. Loved Barrett Jackson!!!! Huge item on my husband's bucket list and well worth the trip!!!!!!

Room Tip: We were in room 268- very quiet overlooking pool area which is landscaped. The room is a far walk f...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Phoenix/Scottsdale at Shea Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

Barrett Jackson is one of our favorite times of the year. Everyone comes to have a good time and there is lots of eye candy everywhere you look!. Thank you for sharing your comments about your visit, and I'm glad you were able to enjoy your husband's bucket list trip with him.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

Clean rooms & public areas, friendly staff, good location. This is my third trip to this Hampton and I'd come back again.

• Stayed: January 2012

Thank you for your many visits and nice review. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in town.

Reviewed 1 January 2012

Eric D's complaint notwithstanding, I was in the back of the hotel, almost as far as possible from the front desk, and my internet connection was fine.

As is everything else about this hotel. It's pet-friendly, and they don't even charge extra. Not only that, but the staff actually welcomes guests' cats and dogs with open arms. Literally.

The staff was tremendous. Breakfast was hot and fresh. There's a big pool and jacuzzi in the "courtyard" (actually the area between the two hotel buildings), and several of the first-floor rooms open up to the patio - sliding door, etc.
The hotel's near the intersection of Shea and Scottsdale Blvd., meaning that there are plenty of restaurants, etc. nearby. The freeway is 4 minutes away, if that.
(NOTE: In my excitement I gave an "excellent" grade to every subcategory, including restaurant, even though the hotel doesn't have a restaurant. The vending machines are outstanding, however.)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gregmc12
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Phoenix/Scottsdale at Shea Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Thanks so much for your recent visit and wonderful review - of us, our internet and vending machine "restaurant"! I'm glad you had a good time here and were able to enjoy the many offerings in our area. I hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in Scottsdale.