2,213 results
All reviewsdouble treenorth poolold townbreakfast buffetgrounds are lovelyputting greenmini barwet barrooms are spaciouscactus gardennice resortfree shuttlefashion square mallthe room was nicefitness centerhousekeeping staffshuttle service
Reviewed October 16, 2011

My husband and I used Hilton Honors points to stay here for two nights in mid October. The hotel was 100% full when we were there, full of conference attendees and even a bus tour, but you would never know it. We were upgraded to a beautiful pool & Camelback mountain view room. It was very spacious and comfortable. Anything we forgot to pack was brought to our room immediately with a smile. Our wifi connection was good most of the time, but sometimes the connection was not as strong. Even though the hotel was full, the pools were not, so we could easily find a chair and even had the pool to ourselves one morning. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle within 2 miles and we used it to go to Oldtown. They have nice toiletries and even single serve coffee makers in the room.

Room Tip: This is a large hotel, ask for a room close to the lobby if you don't have your own car. Within walking distance there's a Mexican restaurant, Papi Chuli's, it's next to the Clarion. They have a very reasonably priced menu, great food and very attentive staff.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Thank you for selecting our resort for your visit and for this favorable review. Thank you for your business and loyalty as a valued Hilton HHonors member. We are pleased that you selected our resort for your points stay. We do hope we will see you again when your travels bring you back to our "Valley of the Sun."

Reviewed October 14, 2011

Oh boy, where do I start? This was another one of those professional conferences with CEUs that could not be avoided. I was leery of the price ($125/night is way too cheap to be good) but was encouraged by some better reviews of this hotel. But sadly, as I sit here in my room, I'm realizing this is indeed a place that does NOT merit its AAA four Diamond rating. To wit:
Got here and was placed in a room at least 8 minutes away from the lobby and the meeting rooms. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, except this place is PITCH DARK, with only a few lights along the meandering pathways around the deserted parking lots. Sorry, but I traveled here as a single woman and don't feel like being the next assault victim, particularly since NO ONE patrols the parking lots with some regularity. Walking in blazing sun and heat when dressed for a conference is another matter, but who's trifling? Well me, actually.

After complaining about the lack of safety in going to and from the room in pitch darkness, I was moved to another similar room across from the pool area. The room is OK (has insects, but I can deal with that); high ceilings, sofa, coffee table - like a junior suite, with a desk, flat screen TV, good size closet and perfectly acceptable bathroom. Now the downside: the hot water was on and off, completely unreliable. I go to shower and all of a sudden, it's tepid and REALLY UNPLEASANT. I complain, they send someone who...does nothing really, except tell me that the water temperature reads 103. Well, yes, until it starts reading 25. No robe or showercap (hey wasn't this a four diamond?). I call and room service delivers, fairly promptly (a weak plus).

Then the sordid story of the Internet. It didn't work at all. I had to wait for another house technician who came and switched out the modem that looked like it belonged in Wozniak's attic. Finally, the tech hooked up the ethernet cable to the unit and I got online. Free? NO....it's not free, except for me, because at this stage, I've complained so much that management hates me and therefore has some kind of reaction formation (see Freud). But that doesn't really matter, because half the time IT DOESN'T WORK. Why? Because it's DSL HELL. In 2011, there is no wireless or even cable at this hotel - nope, it's ancient DSL over the phone lines. Not to mention that the hotel hasn't purchased enough bandwidth (common problem, hotels are often cheap on this) and when 4 other ppl in the neighboring rooms begin using the service, speed slows down to a crawl. And then dies. Had to waste 30 minutes with tech support on the phone. It's working now, but could go out any minute.

After wasting hours on changing rooms, fiddling with the hot water and the Internet, I go to get some dinner. Menu is very unhealthy and awful. Manage to ask them to make some kind of grilled shrimp salad for me. They do and it's appetizer size. I order some kind of bruschetta and it takes over 25 minutes to get it. At minute 20, I get up and state I will never go to that restaurant again. Not one soul in it and they are still struggling with getting another appetizer out? Sum total is the manager on duty brings the dish to my room at no charge. Plus there's no charge for the salad either. Trust me, I would rather have paid and had a great meal - I'm not poor by any stretch. But this was not to happen. The bruschetta arrives at the room and it's thoroughly VILE. I had to eat it because I was starving, but it looked like a 5 year old had put it together. HUGE slices of burned toasted bread with giant pieces of brie, bizarre sugary portabella slices like bacon strips - downright offensive.

I'm truly scared to have breakfast tomorrow. What will the day bring? When I get home, I'm going to contact AAA and try to have this place stripped of one diamond. They don't deserve it. A room without reliable hot water, DSL going on and off, service that is beyond deplorable, rooms that are so remotely placed that they become a hazard just because there's no one patrolling the parking areas regularly in the dark, disgusting food - well, maybe that works for some people, but it doesn't work for me. I wish the conference would have been at the Miramonte instead. A lovely place in Scottsdale (see reviews) where service is at its best. Beware conference organizers - you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank xtacine

Thank you for being our guest and for this feedback from your recent stay. I deeply apologize for the issues you experienced and have passed your comments onto the appropriate departments for their immediate follow up. We care about the safety of our guests and do provide 24-hour security coverage with the primary focus to walk the grounds and walkway on a consistent basis. We do have lighting on our walks and sidewalks, although limited due to local ordinances, but we will look into how we might improve this within those guidelines. We are in the process of updating our bandwidth and converting to the Hilton "Stay Connected" HSIA program, which should be completed by the end of this year. We will also look into enhancing our menus with healthier choices and address the service issues you experienced. I know that you are adamant that you will not be back but I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to do better, to show you that this experience was the exception rather than the rule and to check on the continual improvements we are making. Again, I apoloigize for what you experienced and we will work hard to address each issue you brought to our attention. Thank you.

Reviewed October 13, 2011

I have to admit that I was a little hesitant to stay here after reading some recent reviews. First I'd like to say that the room and overall hotel is very nice and does not need any "updating". The room was very clean and a nice size and even had a patio! The person who checked me in was exceptionally nice and welcoming. I did not get no "snob" attitude like was mentioned in other reviews, and mind you that I was a little dirty from helping a friend move into town. The warm cookies was a nice touch to say the least. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and will stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: We had a toy hauler and asked for a room that had parking to suite the size. We were given a room opposite the lobby and we found pleanty of space to park it. Plus, it was a short walk to our room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2011

Thank you for being with us and for this very positive review of our resort and the service provided by our staff. We do hope that your travels will bring you back to our area and that when they do, you will give us another opportunity to be of service.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

As a Hilton Honors member, I'm always a little wary about using my points. I have not always had a good experience. This was a tremendous stay and I highly recommend. They were constantly cleaning the resort and the staff was always very helpful.

Parking was a bit tricky to figure out but the best place is on the east side. This is away from the main entrance but we came and went off the northern access of Jackrabbit versus the western, main access of Scottsdale. (Side note - Jackrabbit does not connect Hayden and Scottsdale Road. We found that out the hard way.)

Our rooms were cleaned every day and they worked around our in and out schedule. Communication with the cleaning staff was sometimes difficult because of the language differences but I had not troubles communicating with the front desk staff.

We had some food service out by the pool one day and that was very efficient and friendly. We worked closely with the concierge, Diane, and she gave us several good tips on restaurants and fun things to do.

Be aware that this resort does have large meeting rooms and there may be large groups there at the time. This was not a huge problem but it was a bit noisy on a couple of nights as these large groups hung out at the pool. There are two pools - both of good size with plenty of chairs. The northern pool has a three cabanas and that was nice. Get there early because these get snatched up quickly. Pool water was very cool - made me think that they may have been actually cooling the water down.

The resort has a place to workout but it is very difficult to find. We had to get some staff to show us because the signs were not very clear. Plenty of nice equipment, and a racquetball court. They also have a tennis court and a full court basketball.

Wireless internet was a bit of the problem. If you're close to the main lobby, you're fine. Anywhere else and you'll be out of luck. I had my iPad with me and barely get wireless in my room. Had to go out on the balcony to get a few more bars. Seems like they could put a couple more routers around the resort.

Room Tip: The hotel is oriented north to south. Rooms basically face either east or west. The curtains would keep the light out but the rooms overlooking the two, interior pools would be best. There is residential housing to the east and the main drag, Scottsdale Road, to the west. Our room pointed west toward the interior, northern pool. There was a bit of noise coming from the pool area at night but nothing to keep me awake.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for selecting our resort and for this very favorable and informative review. We look forward to being of service to you again on your next visit to our area. And, thank you for your business and loyalty to our Hilton Brands as a Hilton HHonors member.

Reviewed October 2, 2011

The physical property of the resort is exceptional. Beautiful grounds and even more beautiful rooms. Each room has a high, beamed ceiling, beautiful furnishings and a huge amount of space. Each room also has a private balcony. The problem was the staff. The woman at the check-in, when we presented our Honors card, replied in a very snotty way, "You booked through HotWire. You don't get points." She then put us in a room which was extremely remote from amenities. We were there for 2 nights and were gone most of the day in between. Our room was never tidied nor were towels replaced. There is no wireless internet in the room - only in the lobby. When I called to ask, since their in-room brochure says there is wireless internet "throughout the property," the "Careline" operator was also snotty. I called on the house line, but when I asked if there were a computer in the business center, she replied, "Only for guests." I'm not sure who they think pays their salaries, but we won't be back. There are many beautiful hotels in Scottsdale whose staff doesn't have an attitude.

Room Tip: Apparently you have to pay full price and not have any expectations. Also, wear your walking shoes and bring Dora the Explorer. The rooms are hard to find.
1  Thank Chakrawoman
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2011

Thank you for selecting our resort and for this feedback on your stay. I deeply apologize for the service and attitude issues you experienced with one or two of our team members (it could have been the same person). Based upon the limited information provided here, we will work to pinpoint those responsible and hold them accountable with additional training. If you could contact me or the resort directly, we would appreciate it if you could provide us more specific information and an opportunity to make amends. Thank you for the many compliments of our resort property but we agree that it is nothing without the proper attitude, an attitude of service to others. As evident in many reviews and guest feedback, we pride ourselves on our team members and the friendly, attentive service they provide and I apologize again that you were subject to the exception. I do hope that you will give us a future opportunity to show you and the rest of our team are better than this. Thank you again.