2,209 results
All reviewsdouble treenorth poolold townbreakfast buffetgrounds are lovelyputting greenmini barwet barrooms are spaciouscactus gardennice resortfree shuttlefashion square mallthe room was nicefitness centerhousekeeping stafftennis courts
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We stayed at the Doubletree for a week around Easter 2012. Our stay was just ok and I would try another hotel in the future. If you’re looking for a true resort, this isn’t really it. However, there wasn’t a resort fee and there was free parking, which you won’t get at a real resort. If you think of it as a hotel with 2 pools and get a cheaper rate, your stay would be ok.

Be careful booking this hotel. I made my reservations on line a few months before traveling. I occasionally went back to see if the pricing had changed or there were any specials. At some point I noticed that the rate for the first several days of our stay was significantly less than the last couple of days. However, when I booked all 7 days together, I was given the higher rate for all 7 days. Most hotels would have given the lower rate on the appropriate days and only charged the higher rate for the last few. My initial reservation was going to cost about $1600. By watching the rates change, I eventually got it for about $900. The amenities, property, and service were fine for $900 but definitely not worth $1600.

Upon check-in, the person at the reception desk was ok but not really friendly or welcoming. I had heard from other reviews that the walkways to the lobby are poorly lit and confusing. Since I am a woman traveling alone with a young child, I especially wanted to avoid that situation. When I asked for a room closer to the lobby or pool, I was given the lawyer-like response, ‘Well you’ll be an equal distance from either pool.’ What that really meant was you won’t be all that close to either pool or the lobby. She never looked to see if there was another room or tried to accommodate our request. Even if she had said, ‘I’m sorry, the resort is full and your room has already been assigned’, that would have helped. Instead, she seemed too unconcerned to even try. On the first several tries to navigate the complex, my daughter and I got lost trying to find the lobby. The walkways were indeed poorly lit in the evening and while we were probably in no danger, it just didn’t feel comfortable. As a result, we really avoided going to the lobby and resorted to driving from our room to the lobby when needed. Considering that there is only WI-Fi in the lobby and that I had really been looking forward to using the gym (in the lobby building), this was a definite negative.

A couple of days later, after bumbling around trying to find food, a much friendlier employee saw us looking up dining options on the really helpful Local Attractions computer in the lobby. He said, 'By the way, there is a printed list of dining options available at the front desk.' Well, gee! Would have been nice if our check-in person had offered that to us when we checked in. Once again, she really didn’t go out of her way to be helpful.

Our room was ok. Seemed to be clean and had a nice little patio facing the courtyard. The beds were comfortable and housekeeping made up the room promptly. HOWEVER, as one other person noted, the water pressure in the shower (room 7117) was practically non-existent. Very disappointing. But since I had read a similar complaint on tripadvisor prior to booking, I didn’t bother to report it. I suspect it wouldn’t have been fixed and they would have just annoyed me trying to fix it. Also, the lack of variety of TV channels was surprising. There were about 30 channels but only one channel for children – Cartoon Network – and maybe 2 or 3 premium channels. It was like no TV at all for my daughter.

We reluctantly ate in the restaurant one evening. I had a suspicion that the $25 entrees weren’t going to be worth it. I was only willing to trust them with simple food so we had a burger and a pizza. Both were very good. However, the service was awful. The waitress and receptionist were friendly when we saw them, but they disappeared for long stretches of time, possibly because they also had to service people eating on the patio. We were the only people eating in the restaurant so it wasn'tbusy. We finally just got up to leave and figured we’d leave our room number for them to charge the bill.

We had intended to spend quite a bit of time in the pool but as one other reviewer said, the pool was cold and the hot tub wasn’t working, at least at the pool we were in. Very disappointing.

The hotel location on Scottsdale Rd provided very good access to nice restaurants and shopping. The grounds were pretty and nicely kept. The business center with wired pc's and printers was very helpful.

Overall, this hotel was adequate but didn’t live up to it’s claims to be a ‘resort’.

Room Tip: Book online and watch the rates to make sure you don't overpay. Ask for a room with a view of the pool.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank stewart45
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Thank you for selecting our resort and for this feedback on your stay with us. I apologize for the issues you experienced and I went over your comments with my management team and they are following up with those involved and addressing the issues. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to do better and to make amends, if and when your travels bring you back to our area. Although you stated we were just adequate, it is obvious that we were not.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

This hotel looks stunning from the outside, but that's about where the niceties end. They were rather pleasant at check, I will say. The room was tacky, old and in need of some fresh paint and carpet. The carpet was stained in numerous places, the door from the mini bar hanging on one hinge, the shower dripping. Also, we left the room at 8 am, returned at 12:30 and the room still wasn't cleaned. I called housekeeping to request it be made up as we were leaving again. We arrived back at 2:45, still not cleaned. Most disappointing was the cold pool. Can you imagine going to Scottsdale and the pool being no warmer than 72 degrees. My kids were totally disappointed. Shame on them for not heating the pool on Easter weekend. I guess since the hotel was sold out, they didn't need to care.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for selecting our resort for your family's Easter weekend. I apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. Many components of our guest rooms have been recently updated, including the carpets, but it appears that housekeeping had not addressed a spill in your room and also failed to provide you timely maid service. I have discussed this matter with my Director of Housekeeping and he will address the matter with those involved. I also notified engineering to address the minibar door and shower drip. We are planning on completing the last items in our guest room reno starting on May 7th, when we will begin painting and the replacement of all hard goods (desk, nightstands and headboards). We do heat both our pools and were not aware there was a temperature issue until seeing this review. I am terribly sorry that these issues occurred and prevented you from fully enjoying your stay. I do hope that you will return again so that we can show you we are better than this and give us an opportunity to make amends.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stayed at the DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley-Scottsdale
5401 North Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85250, December 29, 2011 through January 7, 2012. My total bill was $1678.37.
The reason for the stay was to recover from surgery. I had a small black case with my jewelry in the safe total cost in all is approximately $5,000.00. On the day I checked out my code did not work so they sent someone to open it. I gathered my stuff that was in there. Once I was home I realized my jewelry was missing, I immediately called the hotel spoke to the Director of Operations Kenneth Heiser explained the situation and he said he would look into it. I didn’t hear from him for 2 days, so I went to the hotel and waited 45 minutes to see him. I was clearly sick at the time. He said that he had talked to Housekeeping and Security and no one took it. He said they have no proof the jewelry was even there. He did bring out some toiletries and a robe and other stuff that wasn’t mine; i.e. a toaster oven. I told him all you have to do is check the electronic keys to see who went into the room. I ask him to post a notice to the employees that there was a large reward for the missing jewelry, no questions asked. I told him the jewelry had sentimental meanings to me it was from my father who is now deceased. He said they couldn’t do that because it was against hotel policy. I asked if we could check the room again and he said; that was against policy too. I bet if it were Paris or Cathy Hilton’s jewelry it wouldn’t be against policy. I sent Mr. Heiser an itemized list and pictures of the jewelry within one week.
Also during my stay I had room service and there were ants crawling on the tray so I called and they saw the ants, but I was still charged for the room service order. Mr. Heiser never took care of that either.
My complaint is that I never received anything from Hilton. An apology or offer to in some way make up for the loss would seem to be in order, but up until today, three months later—NOTHING. I think that it is ridiculous that a hotel chain such as Hilton wouldn't perform better vetting of their employees than this incident proves actually happens. I will not be staying in a Hilton because the vetting process is very neglectful for hotel employees and the customer service leaves a lot, it leaves everything, to be desired.
I travel to Scottsdale at least once a month; I will not and did not stay at a Hilton.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for being with us and for this feedback regarding your stay. I apologize that your stay was marred by the loss of your jewelry. I have followed up with Ken as well as other managers and team members who were involved with these issues during your stay. Ken did recall meeting with you but took your inquiry into your missing jewelry as a lost and found situation since you were not certain if they had been left at the resort or elsewhere. By the time you brought this matter to his attention, another guest had been checked into the room and we could not enter to investigate the room or safe at that specific time, as that guest was not in room at the time. However, since then, we did check the safe and room to no avail as well as verified that you were the only one to utilize the safe during your stay, except for our assistance to open safe in your presence when you removed the items and checked out. As Ken has not heard from you since that meeting nor received any itemized list or further inquiry from you, we had no indications that the items were still missing until seeing your review here. However, regardless, we, as all hotels, are not responsible for guest items lost or stolen in guest rooms. We provide a safe in every guest room as well as safety deposit boxes at the front desk for safe storage of guest valuables. We also take all reasonable precautions, including 24-hour security, to maintain a safe and secure environment for our guests. We are sorry that your jewelry has not been found, but our investigation has not shown any indications that they were stolen and, as far as we knew, left with you when you removed them from your guest room safe. If you would like to discuss further, please contact Ken or myself at the resort. Thank you.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

This is my second time to Scottsdale. My first trip was amazing and I stayed at another resort and was very pleased. I was excited about this trip and hopeful that our stay at the Doubletree would be amazing. For me the trip was half work, half play. I will address the work portion first. The convention portion of the hotel is actually very good. The folks that work in the banquet department were very attentive and very helpful. There was no request that they did not fulfill. They were all very friendly (even at 5:30 in the morning) and checked in on us regularly to make sure that we were doing well. Meeting rooms were spacious and seemed to fit our event well. WiFi was provided to our group at no cost which was helpful considering that WiFi was not available in the guest rooms (will address in the second portion of the review). I was very happy with quality of the service and the facilities. Big thumbs up!

The guest rooms were a little more on the disappointing side. Upon check in, we were greeted by a nice enough gentleman. I wouldn't say he was friendly, but he also wasn't rude - he was average. I was very tired and could not keep up with him. When I asked him to repeat his directions to the elevator, he seemed put out and repeated them in a way that made me feel that I was annoying him. Honestly, I wasn't trying to be annoying I really just couldn't follow his directions. Well, we ended up going the wrong way but when we did find our room, we were very pleased with the location. The Doubletree is a large resort and since I was working part of the time, I requested a guest room close to where our meeting was going to take place. They were able to accommodate my request which worked out great. We had a room on the second floor (great because I had two girl friends with me and it just seemed more safe to be on the second floor) overlooking the pool. It was never very noisy - in fact, it was quiet the majority of the time. The room itself was spacious but not luxurious. My bed and beddings were quite comfortable. The room itself could use a little updating. The closet door was a little difficult to open, the chest of drawers could be bigger and so could the TV. However, the worst part was probably the lack of WiFi in the room. We had to try to use the wired connection which was very inconvenient. In fact, several people in our conference group complained about the internet connection in the rooms. I know they are working on this project and am hopeful that they complete it soon. The service in the guest rooms was a little disappointing. We had to request towels, toilet paper, etc. One day we came back in the afternoon and we did not have towels. We did not have extra toilet paper in the room. We requested something else (can't remember right now what it was) but had to call three times before it was actually delivered. Was it horrible? No, but it was a little annoying.

The pool area was nice - we enjoyed the pool and the space every day of our stay. The gym facility was large and well appointed. We did not eat on site so can't say much about the food offerings. The gift shop, like most resorts, was way overpriced. I desperately needed some OTC medication but found it so outrageously priced that I chose to walk to Safeway instead. Had a drink at the bar and it was good. The resort is located close to many restaurants and shopping which was great as we did not need to take cabs our entire trip. They have a shuttle system that will take you two miles up or down N Scottsdale Rd which will get you to most of the great restaurants and shopping in the area.

Checking out was pretty easy although the staff member at the front desk was just not very friendly. She was professional but just did not ooze "welcome" which is something I would have expected for someone at the reception desk. Anyway, just my opinion.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay. Some things were a little annoying and there were some things that were sorely lacking. I think the resort can be great with some tweaks. The highs included the price and the location. The lows include service from some of the staff and lack of WiFi in the guest rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the reception area, especially if you are a woman traveling alone. The resort is large and not well lit at night.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Talentlesstwit
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2012

Thank you for being with us and for this very helpful, extensive review of your stay at our resort. We are pleased that the convention/business side of your stay went very well, with compliments to the banquet staff. We will address the friendliness and attitude of the front desk agents and the missing housekeeping items in your guest room. You and we all expect more and better. We did just finalize upgrading our guest room HSIA to the Hilton "Stay Connected" program, which will provide all guest rooms with wireless access and greater bandwidth. We are in the process of scheduling installation in the months ahead. In May, we will also be painting and installing new casegoods in all our guest rooms. We do hope that your travels - whether business or pleasure or both - bring you back to our area and that, when they do, you will return to see our continuing improvements.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

The resort is in a great location so I guess this is how they justify their prices. The lobby and pool are very nice but unfortunately the rooms are run down. Our bathtub and sink did not drain. Sloppy caulk lines eveywhere and stains on the cover of the toilet. The atmosphere really feels like a fortress or prison and if you've been there you know what I mean. Solid concrete walls everywhere just doesn't give you the southwest feel or a resort feel for that matter. We were told that our room has a premium view. Apparently their premium means a view of a wall and 6 foot by 6 plot of grass. We would not stay here again. We will pay a little more for a nicer resort that cares about their appearance.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on busy road.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for selecting our resort and for this feedback on your stay with us. I apologize that you were disappointed and had just a "so-so" experience. Although we can't do much to change our concrete wall exterior (which design was influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright and similar to the Arizona Biltmore), we can and will address the bath drains, caulking lines and toilet. Although many components in our guest rooms have been updated, we are excited about beginning painting and replacing all guest room casegoods starting in May. I do hope that you will return on your next visit to our area and see our improvements as well as enjoy all that this resort and the Scottsdale area has to offer.