“Front of the House Staff is the Best!”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale
Ranked #29 of 76 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Checked in yesterday on business and was greeted by Aaron at the desk. What a great desk agent! Played along well with our humor and made us feel welcome. Later, after relaxing at the pool, I checked with the desk for a place to eat to meet a list of criteria. Valentino at the desk had some great suggestions but Jeremy, the valet/door/bellman was the winner. Jeremy recommended Las Olivas, a mexican restaurant close by. Oh my god! What a great resaurant. The, tonight, after a long day of business there was Velentino and Jeremy again. This time, Jeremy recommended Roaring Fork. Nice restaurant with good food and service. Nice to be at a hotel with such great staff!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank hcohenSeattle
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2010

Thank you for selecting our resort and for this positive review of our property and particularly of our staff, many of whom you complimented by name. This was especially rewarding and motivating to each of them as well as provides great examples for others to follow. This is greatly appreciated and we do hope that we'll see you again on your next visit to our area.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,091)

Reviewed 5 May 2010

This place exceeded our expectations. We had a great room with a small patio that overlooked the garden area. It was peaceful and quite (of course, we were there when it wasn't very crowded). The hotel staff was very proactive into making sure our stay was what we wanted. We will definetely be going back here again someday. The only drawback was the way, way, overpriced in-house restaurant ( I guess it is designed for those with business expense accounts)...at least it forced us to go out and discover restaurants around town.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rogerdob

Thank you for selecting our resort and for this very positive review complete with pictures. We are very proud of our property and our 22 acres of beautiful grounds so we greatly appreciate you sharing your pictures with others. We are also very proud of the service provided by our team members and your positive comments mean a lot to them. We do try to provide a broad selection of items and pricing within our menus and we apologize if some of those items seemed too pricey. Our Chef will relook at that to see what can be done. We do hope you will come see us again when your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 15 April 2010

We stayed here during Easter week/spring break---an exceptionally busy time of the year. We encountered a problem w/regard to our reservation and would like to commend Nadine, Gwen and Jamal for the utmost professionalism in resolving this for us and making our stay a memorable one. First, the location is great--very central to Fashion Sq. Mall, Old Town, Kierland Commons, etc. and all great restaurants on 5th. I had to use the shuttle one day since my husband was playing golf and they drive to the Mall and to Old Town Scottsdale as well on the hour. Our buffet bkfst was great---I am a serious foodie and was able to get cooked to order lightly scrambled eggs w/cheese along w/wonderful fruit and cheese blintzs. Outstanding restaurants in the area were: Stax---a casual slider joint where I had the best slow cooked short rib ever. Also, Spotted Donkey in Cave Creek area for very fresh southwest mex, 5th and Wine---bruschetta/happy hr. and Wildfish Grill. Everyone at the hotel was friendly, helpful and cordial---hostess @bkfst was exceptional. There is an avis rental car agent onsite which makes it so much more affordable than renting and paying addit. tax at airport. I think the best location for room is on 2nd floor near the farther pool or near the fountain. Grounds were inpeccable. Finally, a special thanks to housekeeping who found my husband's shorts and are sending them to us....

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Proseco
doubletree1, Area General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2010

Thank for selecting our resort for your vacation and for this very positive review. We will definitely pass on your compliments to those involved in making your stay a memorable one. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 13 April 2010

We stayed at this hotel from April 2 through April 5. I had done a lot of looking on the online sites along with Trip Advisor and I really couldn't decide what hotel to choose. I wanted a hotel with amenities, but I didn't want to pay $10 for a soda at the pool. I finally decided to pick up the phone, call the Doubletree and ask some questions. The operator, Laura, was so helpful that I was reassured that this would be the right hotel. She forwarded my call to inhouse reservations where Nadine helped me to book our stay for 3 nights in a suite.
The rooms were FABULOUS! The parlor was large with a queen sofa bed, as comfortable as you would expect. The dining table was nice and the room was large. When traveling with 2 teens, you need to spread out so this was perfect. The bedroom had 2 very comfortable queen beds and it was very large with a private patio. We had 2 full baths. very important when one of the teens is a girl, whether you are just going to the pool or out to dinner...we all know how long it can take.
I read on here about the institutional feel of this hotel so I was a little concerned....but get over it ....because the grounds are really nice, the two pools were great, the fitness center had so much - steam room, sauna, whirlpool along with great equipment, the tennis courts were nice (no cracks) and the location was perfect! We had a car so it was really easy to get to Old Town Scottsdale and we drove to a Dbacks game within 20-25 minutes.
If you are on the fence - give this hotel a try. It's really nice, and for the value it's great. There were not waitresses at the pool, but come on, do you really need them! The bar area was good, drinks were right on and the food was decent.
I told hubby that this needs to become an annual destination, so we'll be back!
Just a note, while there we did go check out another hotel that is right down the road, and we were really happy that we choose the Doubletree!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank drosiewh
doubletree1, Area General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2010

Thank you for selecting our resort and for your very positive review. We will pass on your compliments to Laura and Nadine. It is always special to be mentioned by name in a flattering way for all to see! We are glad you were able to enjoy so many of our amenities and our nearby attractions during your stay. We are proud that we can be your annual destination and will work hard to earn it. See you next year.

Reviewed 12 April 2010

I stayed at the Doubletree Resort for two nights in April. I was in Scottsdale for business and wanted a nice, quiet room in a resort setting. The Doubletree came through. I was assigned a room in the back overlooking a garden area (#8228). Contrary to a previous review, I liked being able to park near my room and felt very safe. I thought the "palm trunk" masonry theme was cool. I ate dinner and breakfast at En Fuego and was well satisfied. All the staff was attentive and friendly, without any "resort" attitude. I didn't use the pools, but they did seem small as described in other reviews. There was free computer use in the business center, but I wish free wi-fi was available. I have stayed at the Westin Kierland and Hyatt Gainey and would prefer either of those if a pool scene was necessary for me (like when my kids are along). Otherwise, the Doubletree Paradise Valley is a great choice and great value.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank ravenna

Thank you so much for selecting our resort and for this positive review. We value both very much and hope to see you again when you return to our area.

Reviewed 12 April 2010

the hotel itself was very beautiful and the staff were friendly and helpful. we would love to stay again. the one problem which was a big one-we had to eat elsewhere-the food was terrible. the worst is the main dining room.the food is not on par with the lovely accomodations. dinners were over cooked-over sauced and often different then what a person ordered.prices were high . we do not mind paying for quality food. they really are dropping the ball on this.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and for your comments. I have to admit we were a bit surprised as we usually get positive reviews on our food. As I cannot tell from the review when you stayed or what specific meals and food items you had, I would appreciate if you could let us know. Although I have reviewed your feedback with my Chef and his culinary team, more details would help us better understand and address the problem. Thank you for helping us do better and for your high ratings in service, cleanliness and the rest of our resort.

Reviewed 9 April 2010

We stayed here the first weekend of April. It was a family trip for us (2 kids - 5 and 3). They loved the pool, but the recent review complaining about the pool is accurate. All the chairs were taken and they continued to run out of towels. However, we always did get lounge chairs in the end. It appeared that if you were ordering food/drinks to the pool it could take a while. Otherwise, I think this was a great value and great location (we lived in Scottsdale for 4 years). We got the deal with the $100 food/beverage credit which made it even cheaper. Be forewarned though, a dewars and water will run you $9.50 at the bar, so it was a little pricey. We did not eat there.

The room was nice, good size but the bathroom was a little small. Our room was on the first floor and walked out to a putting green with the pool in the distance. The guests at the pool around 9/10pm did get a little loud, so that could be a problem if you have a room right next to the pool. You are within jogging distance of Camelback mountain (15 min) and only a couple minute car ride to Old Town Scottsdale. Overall, a very positive experience and would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us and for your comments. As with the prior review, we have taken steps to address staffing levels and chairs at the pool. Based upon the dates of your review, it appears that you experienced the same issues as the prior reviewer on the same, very busy weekend. Despite these issues, we appreciate that you would still recommend us and plan on returning again. Thank you.