“Love the Throwback Feel..Beds are Comfy, but Small”
Review of Hotel Valley Ho

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Valley Ho this past weekend for our Annual Girl's Trip to Spring Training. We all loved the 50's inspired theme and decor, as well as the pool cabana that we rented for the day. We found ourselves hanging out at the bar almost every night before and after we went out in Old Town, as it was a really fun bar with a great friendly crowd. I would say my only somewhat negative is more of a warning: If you are planning on sleeping 4 people in a double room, prepare to get cozy! The beds were super comfortable, but they were really small for 4 girls, We managed just fine though and would definitely stay at the Valley Ho again!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

I'm glad that you and your girlfriends had fun at the hotel during spring training! Our double rooms all have two double beds (our single rooms have one king bed). Most hotels feature this bed type, although some also offer larger beds as an additional option. We kept all the original 1956 buildings of the hotel when we restored it, and had to work within that space. We do have some roomier suites, as well. Thank you for your review, and we hope you will be checking in again!

Reviewed 19 March 2012

If you're looking for a neat place to stay that is outside the typical vanilla "chain" hotels, this is it. Built in 1956, and renovated a few years ago to a retro stylish look, the Scottsdale Valley Ho is a gem. The hotel staff was very accommodating and provided great service.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Thank you for choosing Hotel Valley Ho! We're happy we created such a wonderful experience for you. We hope we will see you again!

Reviewed 19 March 2012

I have stayed at Hotel Valley Ho for five years running every March. It is the best destination in Scottsdale hands down. From the excellent food and cocktails at the pool to the amazing burgers at Zuzu, you cannot go wrong here. Excellent gym and spa to boot! You will not be disappointed. I plan to return next year with a newborn, as kids are a great part of the atmosphere here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind comments! We're glad to see you return year after year, and look forward to welcoming a new member of the family for your next visit.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

This hotel looks like it was built in the 1950s to look futuristic. It's definitely a fun place to stay. Fun lobby bar and pool to hang out at, and good eats. I like the way my room was setup, each room has its own balcony with tables chairs and sun chair. Big walkin shower.

It didn't seem like a kid friendly hotel, more adults on vacation and business travelers. Great location, about a block from the art galleries in Old Town Scottsdale.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank chicagodave15
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

I'm pleased to hear you liked the style of the hotel, as well as our bar and pool. Each room does come with a private patio or balcony. It's a must for enjoying the Arizona sunshine! We hope to see you again. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Stayed 4 nts having made last minute change to plans to take advantage of a 4th nite free offer. Didn't know quite what to expect was was totally pleased and wowed by decor, service, room and location. "Retro" decor was tasteful and of high quality in room and throughout hotel. Pool was consistantly comfortable and service was stellar.
Common areas were beautiful. Having spent the previous 4 nts in a place that didn't quite meet my expectations (Scotsdale Resort and Athletic Club) Valley Ho really took our vacation to new level a totally pleasant surprise.
Walked to Old Town, Fashion Mall and Ball Park. Close to Camelback and destinations away from Old Town - Great location. Do not fall for the $14/day valet. Parking is not the issue I have seen alluded to in other reviews. Had no problem at all. Honestly cannot think of anything we didn't like of had a problem with.
Bottom line - Would definately stay here again and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bldg 5 overlooking a coutyard and small fountain. Have nothing to compare to but was h...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed the style of the hotel! I also love mid-century modern design. It sounds like you took good advantage of our downtown location as well. Self parking here is definitely not difficult, with two lots very close to guest rooms. The building you were in was built in 1958, two years after the hotel first opened. The rooms in The Tower opened in 2008 and will have a different (though still retro) feel. They also have great views of either Downtown Scottsdale or Camelback Mountain. It might be fun for you to stay there for a different experience next time. We hope to see you soon. Thank you!

Reviewed 16 March 2012

Stunning would be my word to describe the historical transcendence of Hotel Valley Ho. I had heard nothing but stellar feedback about Hotel Valley Ho since it reopened, yet I remained skeptical mainly due to the hotel's location on Indian School Road. Little did I know how ignorant my skepticism was. First, the location is perfect. The hotel is-for all intents & purposes-IN Old Town Scottsdale. Straight shot down Main Street to the "heart" of Old Town shops, etc, then a quick 5 blocks or so up to Scottsdale Fashion Square, the shopping mecca of the Southwest.

Hotel Valley Ho is a Preferred Hotels & Resorts property, a Stash Hotel Rewards property and a Historic Hotels of America property.

On first approach, the property is aesthetically stunning. Perfectly manicured lawns line the median-separated drive, and the strategic lemon trees planted around the valet porte-cochere grace you with citrus-tinged air as soon as you get out of the car. The valet service was excellent. Very unassuming and prompt. I was provided with water every time I took the car out. Bell service was just as prompt both at arrival and check-in.

The lobby of Hotel Valley Ho is straight out of a Mad Men fantasy getaway, with marble floors, complimentary daily New York Times and Arizona Republic, art-deco fireplace, and all-glass enclosure. The Front Desk, although small (with only two attendants) was prompt, and quickly got us to our room, despite arriving two hours before the hotel's check in time of 4 PM.

Oh the room... we booked a Tower Suite King, which is the 3rd or 4th tier up from a basic room. Never have I been so impressed with a hotel room. For once I didn't book through American Express or Stash Hotel Rewards. Rob at the Front Desk offered us a discount because we booked 3 nights. Sold! The Tower Suite King rooms are incredibly well-designed. Full kitchen with all cook- and serve-ware included. Sub-zero fridge & freezer, although the ice drawer never did work. BUT the fridge was stocked with typical mini-bar accoutrements, with plenty of space for your own things. The suite was 1,000 square feet, with the kitchen, desk area, living area, balcony, bedroom, and spacious bathroom. The coffee table books in the room were VERY tasteful, with selections from two of my favorites, Assouline and Te Neues. Blinds (which covered the entirety of the sliding glass doors out to the balcony) were electric AND remote controlled. What i LOVED was that there was a ceiling fan. There were 3 guests, and I was on a rollaway in the living area, so the ceiling fan, combined with the air conditioning, was wonderful because I am a total polar bear and I like it VERY cold outside my sheets.

The only thing I would've liked to see in the room that I didn't would be an iPhone-compatible sound system from the likes of Bose, iHome, etc. That aside, the TV did have an iPod dock with inputs for component and HDMI as well. And the 37-inch TV actually got a High-definition signal. Finally! Hotels are waking up about HD.

The bathroom was extremely spacious and contemporary. Separate his and hers raised sinks were complimented by a ledge on which to put your toothbrush, etc, along with a mirror stand with various shelves for toiletry bags. The toilet was closed off, as was the in-suite Bosch washer and dryer. Valley Ho even provides you with detergent and fabric softener. And of course a large rainforest shower and walk-in closet.

Okay, I'll admit, I don't get the whole "Icelandic Moonflower" thing with their in-room and spa amenities. Valley Ho has the first amenities that I actually didn't want to bring home because I didn't like the scent. The shampoo & conditioner did leave my hair feeling nice though. Still, I think they could've chosen something more appealing and fragrant. That being said, loved the room!

The main feature of our stay was the gorgeous pool area. The VH pool is relaxing, contemporary, and it reminded me how to love the sun again. The OH Pool Bar served a variety of delectable pool bites & sips. The first day I ordered a chicken quesadilla, but it was rather small so I ordered a chicken pesto panini after it. Both were delicious. The next day I had a strawberry smoothie and chips & guacamole. The Smoothie was excellent! No Island Oasis High-Fructose diabetes-syrup here. Strawberry yogurt, and actual fruit. What a concept...and the MUSIC by the pool... no dubstep nor hip hop. A true godsend, especially for a hotel with an increasingly-younger clientele. It was a nice contemporary mix of 80s, 90s, and now, commercial free so I would say it was like Pandora for business or something. GREAT pool!

We ate at Zuzu café the first night because we wanted to stay on property. We waited a few extra minutes on a hostess for outdoor seating, but it was worth it. The temperature was perfect and the outstanding floral displays lining all the walkways out by the pool continued the fragrant journey throughout the property. I ordered the Beef Shortrib. Completely delicious. A tad smaller than I was hoping, but very tasty nonetheless. I had chocolate silk pie to finish, and it was good, but the crust was too hard, meaning it had been in the pie fridge for a few days. But the service was good and the food was great. I'd have to recommend Zuzu.

Departure was seamless, a quick call to Guest Services had a bellman at our door in 5 minutes and our car waiting for us when we got down with the Bellman.

My complaints:
-Ice Maker not working
-Icelandic Moonflower amenities/spa products
-Little attention paid to Stash Hotel Rewards points
-Pool bar attendant could've been a tad more attentive. Although the water people were EXCELLENT! My glass was never empty...
-Zuzu chocolate silk pie crust was hard

All ^that^ aside, I wan't wait to go back to Hotel Valley Ho

Room Tip: Anything in the Tower, facing the pool...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

I'm glad you were finally able to come visit the hotel! I also love our Tower Suites; they have a nice view of Downtown Scottsdale on one side and Camelback Mountain on the other. I will be sure to have our engineering team take a look at the freezer to ensure it is working properly. Our Icelandic Moonflower amenities are quite popular; I'm sorry to hear you didn't like the scent but we understand that everyone has different preferences. I also love the short ribs at ZuZu. I'm sorry to hear the pie was not quite what you wanted; our restaurant staff is happy to address any issues to ensure you have a good experience! Thank you for your extensive review, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Unfortunately I only stayed one night at the Valley Ho but would loved to have stayed longer.....it is so much fun, stepping back in time but in a very comfortable and stylish way. The decor is very true to it's origins and updated for comfort.....beds you can sink into, spacious bathrooms, amazing gardens to enjoy and a funky pool in the middle of the former motel turned resort, incredibly well done. Make sure you give yourself time for breakfast if you are not from the US....yum, flavors and service are spot-on. Although the location is a bit tricky, itiswell with getting away from the chain hotels for a refreshing change and experience at the Valley Ho........thank you team for a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank BeijingTrix

I'm glad you enjoyed the 1950s style of the hotel! We are located right at the west end of Downtown Scottsdale, so as soon as you start heading east you will see shops, restaurants, and art galleries. Thank you for your review. Happy travels!